Admin
Illinois vs Indiana
Thursday, March 7th
7:00pm CT
FS1

:illinois:

illini80

Forgottonia
We have to be better defensively if we are going to win this one. Gave up too may layups tonight. Can't let Romeo have his way with us again.

Feels strange going into a game where I think Illinois is the more consistent team.

Indiana has actually played really well the last four games only to go 2-2.

But how much fun! We get a chance to beat IU (before a home crowd), almost certainly force them to play Wed (secure our Thursday start in the BTT) and maybe give us a chance to beat them again in the NIT(assuming we can keep winning, maybe a little optimistic). Count it anyway you want, it's at least a trifecta.

I expect Indiana to bring their A game. They're coming off a big confidence-building win and this is pretty much a must win for them if they want a shot at making the tourney. Big game for us too since the loser will most likely be stuck playing Wednesday in the BTT.

As someone who grew up twenty five miles from indiana when Bobby had them in their prime, They are arch enemy number one.

As someone already pointed out, last night's performance likely won't win this match up. Indiana has been up and down, but seem to be up right now with two straight wins and an overtime loss in last 3 games. However, they are 1-7 in BIG away games. I think Illini get by narrowly 72-68.

As someone who grew up twenty five miles from indiana when Bobby had them in their prime, They are arch enemy number one.

Yep. I have gone through spells of thinking that Missouri is our biggest rival due to them not having a true conference one right now, but a non-conference game is just different than a longtime conference foe. We have a very token instate rivalry with Northwestern, and other fans have a "most hated rival" based on location, whether that is Iowa, Wisconsin or someone else ... but at the end of the day, Indiana is the most consistent enemy of Illini nation, regardless of how they feel about us (given their rivalry with Purdue taking center stage). Through the years, they have been the biggest consistent roadblock to Illinois ever taking that next step up, IMO, and the hate there is real. I want this one badly, especially since we have lost 5 of 6 to the Hoosiers. Luckily, though, we have fared much better in Champaign vs. them the last ten years:

1/24/2018: Illinois 73, Indiana 71
2/25/2016: #18 Indiana 74, Illinois 47 ... OUCH
1/18/2015: Indiana 80, Illinois 74
12/31/2013: Illinois 83, Indiana 80 in OT (this tied the all-time series ... so close, so close)
2/7/2013: Illinois 74, #1 Indiana 72
3/5/2011: Illinois 72, Indiana 48
1/30/2010: Illinois 72, Indiana 70
1/10/2009: Illinois 76, Indiana 45

While they have had a few games, they are wildly inconsistent and are not far removed from the team I saw show up at Minnesota ... we need to punch them in the throat early and never look back.

ILLINI 68-62 won't get as many free throws though. Guard group accounts for 45. Jordan big in this one double double!

As someone who grew up on the Illinois-Iowa border (45 minutes from Iowa City, 3 hours from Champaign) and who attended The Beloved when Bruce Pearl started his underhanded dealings (note: continues to today) in order to screw us, I can assure you Iowa is Arch Enemy#1!

Anybody know what Giorgi's FT% has been since his brother came and changed something in his shot? The eye-test seems like it should be quite a big difference

God, I'm going to miss AJ. :(
He has had an amazing career. Remember after his first two years no one really thought he had much of a future. Then he made alot of 3's at the beginning of his junior year and he was tagged as a sharp shooter. When that did not continue into the Big10 season he was written off again. Now he has become a lock down defensive man and a great rebounder. He really has done whatever he needs to do to help the team. A great credit to Illinois and to him personally.

I can assure you Iowa is Arch Enemy#1!

Actually, all the other B1G teams plus Miznoz have their own arch enemies. No one treats Illinois as theirs. So we have to reach out to ... Indiana? Northwestern? the Ohio State in football? Iowa? Even that team in Columbia?

Deleted member 4960

D
Hope his teammates send him out in style! Big home win. Make a huge run in the tournament! Would be nice to get him in the Big Dance with a Big tournament championship! Get these guards to hit shots in the way out and it could happen!??????

Can’t see us winning this one. IU is playing for their tourney lives and, to be honest, we haven’t played well in the last four games. It will probably be close but I’m thinking IU by 6 or 7.

As someone who grew up on the Illinois-Iowa border (45 minutes from Iowa City, 3 hours from Champaign) and who attended The Beloved when Bruce *$#%! Pearl started his underhanded dealings (note: continues to today) in order to screw us, I can assure you Iowa is Arch Enemy#1!
Last week Mark Titus on his One Shining Podcast went on a long rant about how Pearl is a scumbag who has pulled the wool over the eyes of the nation, but Titus just wanted to remind everyone that he's garbage and should be hated. It was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.