Pregame: Illinois vs Indiana, Thursday, March 7th, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
From the perspective of a fan growing up in the aughts and going to school from '11-'15, my B1G Hierarchy of Hatred is as follows:

Kicking our butt and everyone's butt with ease
1. Ohio State - They have to be the bane of everyone's existence these days
2. Wisconsin - Specifically the bane of Illinois' existence

Natural Illinois rivals
3. Indiana - Eric Gordon; and NO reason they should have a more competent football program than us. Absolutely embarrassing.
4. Iowa - they should be more Illinois than Illinois is, but they aren't. It sucks.
5. Northwestern (these guys shouldn't be beating us)
6. Michigan (admittedly, I grew up a Michigan fan. They are here because: 1) our games vs. them during my formative years weren't really that combative; but 2) they really are a University of Illinois but with success on the field, can't help but be jealous)
7. Purdue - Think about it, THAT school in WEST LAFAYETTE should not have better sports than the state school of Illinois. That's bad.

"and the rest"
8. Penn St. - Can't forgive them for breaking the Assembly Hall streak in 2006 and for beating us in Joe Pa's last game.
9. Michigan State - they are a bunch of a-holes, but we do a pretty good job of playing competitive basketball against them.
10. Minnesota - I feel they should be a good comp for our athletics, but they do have the upper hand
11. Rutgers - Hate them more than the last two because they just don't belong in this conference. Just awful athletics from and underwhelming school.
12. Nebraska - they belong in the B1G, but still there isn't enough history there
13. Maryland - Excuse me who are you again?

Deleted member 8632

D
I hate whatever team we are playing. I, at some point, have rooted for every team listed above if a win would benefit our position. I have never rooted for the team on the opposite side of the court.

Deleted member 11196

D
I hate whatever team we are playing. I, at some point, have rooted for every team listed above if a win would benefit our position. I have never rooted for the team on the opposite side of the court.

Good point... but particularly Muck Fichigan in ALL things...

#5....We really have no room to talk when it comes to NW. They've pretty much owned us in the last few years(they actually went to a tournament) and in football, they pretty much spank us year in and year out. We win one every now and then.

Dude all time v the Cats, it's like 135 Illini 40 something NU. So yeah, there's plenty of room to talk.

1/24/2018: Illinois 73, Indiana 71
2/25/2016: #18 Indiana 74, Illinois 47 ... OUCH
1/18/2015: Indiana 80, Illinois 74
12/31/2013: Illinois 83, Indiana 80 in OT (this tied the all-time series ... so close, so close)
2/7/2013: Illinois 74, #1 Indiana 72
3/5/2011: Illinois 72, Indiana 48
1/30/2010: Illinois 72, Indiana 70
1/10/2009: Illinois 76, Indiana 45

Holy crap... only 2 times in the last 10 years one of these teams was ranked (and it wasn't us either time). Shows you how hard the times have been for both programs

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I would put Penn St. as 5a. The hell they have given us over the past 10 years is enough to justify.

I don't disagree, but I really did actually forget them and had to edit. It was early. They still don't really matter, but props to their newfound grit on the court. Next years games will be good, but I can't justify putting them in the Seriously, We Really Actually Hate You Division.

Deleted member 628259

D
10. Minnesota - I feel they should be a good comp for our athletics, but they do have the upper hand

The idea that Minnesota, population 5.5 million, should be a comp for Illinois, 12.8 million, makes me want to throw up. We should absolutely own them.

Surprised there isn’t more hatred toward Wisconsin. Maybe it’s just because I started following Illini sports in 2010 and they’ve dominated us in football and basketball since then.

Indiana is playing really well. These last two games are big for our offseason excitement.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Surprised there isn’t more hatred toward Wisconsin. Maybe it’s just because I started following Illini sports in 2010 and they’ve dominated us in football and basketball since then.

I think it's more geared towards the fan base than the actual program. I did mention two games with regards to scUM and OSU (05'), but I've never had a really bad experience with any of the fans of the teams in the bottom half of my post. I lived in Wisconsin for a year and they hate Illinoisans (FIB's or FIBWAB's), but they were never jerks to me. They like our money so they tolerate us.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I don't disagree, but I really did actually forget them and had to edit. It was early. They still don't really matter, but props to their newfound grit on the court. Next years games will be good, but I can't justify putting them in the Seriously, We Really Actually Hate You Division.
After the last game and showing us up on the 30th Ann. of the Flyin Illini......I SERIOUSLY Hate Them.

Deleted member 11241

D
Found out earlier a friend scored tickets from a season ticket holder today so I will be in attendance Thursday night. Looking forward to being there for senior night and AJs final home game. Hope we stomp them

Can we do that?

Great question.

After having backed BU for nearly two years, I find it very strange that NO ONE has been able to figure out how this team has consistently tanked at the start of the 2nd half. Note: we have led at the half in a LOT of games ................................................. and lost. BU has a problem. And he has not solved it. Sorry.

Nothing personal, but have no idea how to solve this problem. But, even more frustrated that BU has not solved it.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Calling for snow here Thursday during afternoon. Hopefully keep Loosier fans away.

Deleted member 11241

D
Great question.

After having backed BU for nearly two years, I find it very strange that NO ONE has been able to figure out how this team has consistently tanked at the start of the 2nd half. Note: we have led at the half in a LOT of games ................................................. and lost. BU has a problem. And he has not solved it. Sorry.

Nothing personal, but have no idea how to solve this problem. But, even more frustrated that BU has not solved it.

Ever consider that maybe the problem is the fact that we have one of the youngest teams in college basketball with only 4 returning players learning an entirely new offensive system and defensive philosophy while playing a top 5 toughest schedule in the nation in the strongest power 5 conference? 🤔

Great question.

We hope that they're more tired than we are ;)

Deleted member 29907

D
78 - 77.95 (since we can't seem to put teams away) Illini win.

Great question.

Maybe the solution to this experience. Which we have very little of. I think that is why we are have been more competitive as of late. Its not easy to go bell to bell with the lead. I would imagine the coaching staff is addressing this issue. I think your reaction might be a little over blown. This team is making huge strides and I wouldn't worry unless that stops.

Expecting a back and forth exciting game....multiple lead changes....with the Illini trailing by 1 with seconds left....Ayo brings the ball the length of the floor gets to the hoop and scores what appears to be the winning bucket at the buzzer....players and coaches are celebrating...but officials signal that the shot was late and does not count but will be reviewed.....after 5 minutes of official review officials reverse their original call a declare the Illini winners of a very entertaining game 75-74....go crazy folks go crazy

Great question.

I see it as a "gas" problem. To quote myself on the court last night, "I have energy to play offense or defense, but not enough energy to play both".
When you give it your all, then "take a break", it's hard to return out of the locker room to that high energy level. Solving it is about having more horses to rely on. I think not having so many freshman could help...

Status
Not open for further replies.