Pregame: Illinois vs Indiana, Thursday, March 7th, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it as a "gas" problem. To quote myself on the court last night, "I have energy to play offense or defense, but not enough energy to play both".
When you give it your all, then "take a break", it's hard to return out of the locker room to that high energy level. Solving it is about having more horses to rely on. I think not having so many freshman could help...
This. It is extremely difficult to play BU’s brand of defense for 40 minutes. A couple of other issues enter the discussion as a result: we nearly almost have at least one player with 2 fouls with lots of time left in the first half. This means we have to play our bench more, especially in the second half when there are 3 or 4 fouls on our starters. There is definitely a drop off when this happens. Considering that we have 7 new players this year I expect significant growth next year with players better able to play stout defense without fouling.

From the perspective of a fan growing up in the aughts and going to school from '11-'15, my B1G Hierarchy of Hatred is as follows:...

Welp, since everyone is doin' it and I am only a bout a year ahead of you ... here's my (basketball-specific) hot take! :cool:

TIER ONE: Undisputed Rivals
Indiana
... You're going to have fans who hate Iowa the most, some who hate Michigan the most, some who even hate Northwestern the most, but I think IU is the one program that will show up at least in the top 3 of 90%+ of Illini fans' rivals list.

TIER TWO: Somebody's Biggest Rival/Teams That Hate Us the Most
Iowa
... Bruce Pearl needs no explanation, and fans from the Quad Cities or Western IL are naturally going to despise the Hawkeyes. Plus, let me tell you, Iowa fans have an almost unbelievable hatred for Illinois.
Michigan ... That '89 loss is just so damn important and unfortunate, that they get here because of that. Some fans (rightfully) will never forgive them for that, plus they're Michigan...
Northwestern ... Most Illini fans don't get too riled up about NU, but we are probably their biggest rival, and they've had enough success against us recently to move into this territory.
Wisconsin ... Used to be bigger, but there are still a lot of Northern IL fans who have to deal with Badgers fans and hate UW. This Rivalry really should be a lot bigger, given Packers/Bears overtones.

TIER THREE: Some History, On-And-Off Rivalries or Basic Animosity
Michigan State
... We always had an oddly friendly rivalry with them before Izzo couldn't keep his mouth shut, but that died down quickly. Some might not like MSU, but they don't really inspire much hate. We've also been uncharacteristically successful against them during our down years.
Ohio State ... This got a little more tense after Evan Turner, but again ... this one has never been that intense in basketball, IMO.
Penn State ... PSU would be in Tier Four, but ever since they broke our home winning streak in 2006, they have been a VERY sharp thorn in our side.
Purdue ... I know, I know, some might consider PU a rival; after all, they are the closest school to Champaign, and we have had a lot of battles with them over the year. However, the mutual hatred of IU plus Purdue just giving off an, err, non-combative vibe even when they're good really dulls this one for me.

TIER FOUR: Never Had Much Animosity For a Long-Time Conference Foe
Minnesota
... Just not a lot goin' on there for a traditional Big Ten series. We're killing them in the all-time series, have dominated them since 2000 and we both have plenty of other rivals.

TIER FIVE: Who Cares?
Maryland
... No knock against Maryland, but they're so new to the conference.
Nebraska ... I find it so entertaining hearing Iowa fans talk about how much they hate Nebraska ... Nebraska?? How? Lol.
Rutgers ... Again, just too new.

Dan

Admin
Underwood: Special night. Three players & four managers. Special one for Rod Cardinal. What a mainstay in Illinois basketball.

Underwood: Adonis De La Rosa is a guy I'm incredibly proud of. He's impacted our basketball team a great deal. Really proud of his commitment & effort to Illinois basketball.

Underwood: Aaron Jordan is the example of what we want to be about. He bleeds orange & blue. Awfully proud of him.

Underwood on Jordan: He'll be the guy I never forget because he's part of the solution.

Underwood: (Jordan's) improvement is everything we want to be about. We value his opinions & his ideas. First guy to step up when guys aren't doing the right things.

He's one of my guys, man. I'm forever grateful.

Underwood on Jordan: He had a variety of reasons to leave this program... From the coaching change to not playing. But to stay here, it showed his love for this place & what it meant to him... AJ will be one of our best advocates for our program in years going forward.

Senior walk-on Drew Cayce will graduate & stick around as a grad assistant after the season.

Underwood: Drew's passion is basketball. He's got a bright future in the business. He's going to impact our guys.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247

One upon a time there was a fertile land in the middle on our country; where food was grown for, and business was done with, the entire world. A man born in this fertile land came to rule the entire nation and restored prosperity from darkness.

There was a university here that was the best engineering school in all the land between Boston and the Bay. During the dark times the university loved the Chief, and the Chief loved the university. In these bad times the Chief’s teams, although loved, were bad. They could not score even a point against the worst opponent. For a decade the Chief’s teams struggled and failed. Then the man from the Chief’s land became Ruler of all the country. For a brief decade, the Chief’s teams bested all. The time belonged to the Chief. These Chief’s team beat every other rival in one year, something that has not been done before or since. The Chief’s team went into the lion’s cave, surrounded by thousands, and deserved but were robbed of a great victory. But 5 years later, the best team the Chief ever had made it to the Emerald City.

As years passed by, enemies of the great ruler attacked the land of the Chief, and destroyed its prosperity so that the people will live in eternal debt. The enemies of the great ruler also attacked the Chief himself. The people still loved the Chief in their hearts, but they were silent as the enemies tore him down. Without the Chief, the university’s teams returned to darkness, awaiting his return.

In the decade that belonged to the Chief, the Chief’s teams fought 9 other rivals, and together the entire country referred to them as the Big Ten.

Top Tier
  1. Iowa. Top rival of the 80s. Iowa got good in sports at the same time we did. They had great coaches (Haden Fry, George Raveling, Dr. Tom) just as we did. To make things worse, many of their best players were form Illinois (Michael Payne, Chuck Long, Ed Horton). The game where we really knew we arrived in the Rose Bowl year was a 33-0 drubbing of a very highly ranked Iowa team.
  2. Michigan. Michigan was many times the team we could not quite beat, especially when in counted. Beat them like an ugly dog twice in the big ten season in 89, and then lost on a rogue rebound over Nick Anderson’s head when in really counted. Had a chance to beat them on Halloween in football and a game winning field goal at the end of the clock was tipped, made it to the crossbar, bounced straight up in the air, and then came down on the wrong side. There was another game were seems like three fumbles were mis-called by the referees.
  3. Ohio St. Just as we could not get a break against Michigan, we got all the breaks against OSU. Literally owned them for a decade, as hard as that is to believe now. Remember a DB picking up a fumble at mid-field like a basketball dribble and taking it to the house. I’m sure John Cooper can remember a lot more.
  4. Indiana. Bobby started out the decade owning Lou, but Lou owned the classic bully in the end. Typical of those days, Jay Edwards made a great shot to make things interesting, but really just set up Nick Anderson as the hero.
Interesting
5. Michigan St. Great coaches - Perles, Heathcoate, and Izzo. Always tough teams that played hard, but we seemed to do OK against them.
6. Purdue. Gene Keady’s teams always seemed to get in “big ten style” knock down drag outs with us. In football they always had enough talent, especially at QB, to make things exciting.

Not Interesting
7. Wisconsin. Always seemed to be below their potential. Flagship school of a reasonably big state. String of coaches that seemed like great hires at the time, but never panned out. I’m sure this is how the rest of the big ten looks at us now.
8. Minnesota. Really can’t remember a thing about them in the 80s.
9. Northwestern. Remember feeling jealous that we didn’t have an instate rival like IU/Purdue, or UM/MSU. They were truly horrible.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Last week Mark Titus on his One Shining Podcast went on a long rant about how Pearl is a scumbag who has pulled the wool over the eyes of the nation, but Titus just wanted to remind everyone that he's garbage and should be hated. It was awesome.
Thanks...didn't know that Titus had a podcast. Very good to know

Tacomallini

Washington State
Surprised there isn’t more hatred toward Wisconsin. Maybe it’s just because I started following Illini sports in 2010 and they’ve dominated us in football and basketball since then.
Agree based on how much Wisconsin has owned us recently in basketball; also surprised there isn't more Purdue hatred based on how much their program has beaten ours historically in basketball.

I posted that I saw a foundation being built after the last IU/Illinois game not sure if anybody agreed or not. Very crazy how the two teams have gone since then.

That being said if I were you guys I would be cautious about the refs. I don’t trust Delaney and very curious if he’s scheming to get 9 teams in the tourney.

That combined with Archie having made some important changes could be big. Fair game I think Illinois wins this 6 out of 10 times though

Yes...exactly why they even deserve our hatred. And purple. Prior to any of that they would be in the other division.

Northwestern, the only private school in the B1G and full of self-important twits from northern Illinois...and as someone from small city downstate, they just annoy me.

I don’t know if you call it a rivalry, but we should never lose to Northwestern.

Dan

Admin
Illinois -2

I only team I dislike more than Duke is Indiana. After Wake Forest's heart-breaking loss to Duke, I am counting on the Illini to pull me out of my deep depression. :) Oskee-Wow-Wow.

Great Moments

I can kind of rationalize/accept the hangover game vs. Rutgers after the MSU win (though Rutgers has been playing very well lately), and I can kind of rationalize (but definitely not approve of!) the close win vs. NU after losing three straight ... I will be INCREDIBLY disappointed if we don't come out with similar fire as the MSU game vs. Indiana tonight. A win get us out of playing on Wednesday, it's senior night and a win probably knocks a rival out of the NCAA Tournament. We need to come out hungry.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I can kind of rationalize/accept the hangover game vs. Rutgers after the MSU win (though Rutgers has been playing very well lately), and I can kind of rationalize (but definitely not approve of!) the close win vs. NU after losing three straight ... I will be INCREDIBLY disappointed if we don't come out with similar fire as the MSU game vs. Indiana tonight. A win get us out of playing on Wednesday, it's senior night and a win probably knocks a rival out of the NCAA Tournament. We need to come out hungry.

giphy.gif

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
Welp, since everyone is doin' it and I am only a bout a year ahead of you ... here's my (basketball-specific) hot take! :cool:

TIER ONE: Undisputed Rivals
Indiana
... You're going to have fans who hate Iowa the most, some who hate Michigan the most, some who even hate Northwestern the most, but I think IU is the one program that will show up at least in the top 3 of 90%+ of Illini fans' rivals list.

TIER TWO: Somebody's Biggest Rival/Teams That Hate Us the Most
Iowa
... Bruce Pearl needs no explanation, and fans from the Quad Cities or Western IL are naturally going to despise the Hawkeyes. Plus, let me tell you, Iowa fans have an almost unbelievable hatred for Illinois.
Michigan ... That '89 loss is just so damn important and unfortunate, that they get here because of that. Some fans (rightfully) will never forgive them for that, plus they're Michigan...
Northwestern ... Most Illini fans don't get too riled up about NU, but we are probably their biggest rival, and they've had enough success against us recently to move into this territory.
Wisconsin ... Used to be bigger, but there are still a lot of Northern IL fans who have to deal with Badgers fans and hate UW. This Rivalry really should be a lot bigger, given Packers/Bears overtones.

TIER THREE: Some History, On-And-Off Rivalries or Basic Animosity
Michigan State
... We always had an oddly friendly rivalry with them before Izzo couldn't keep his mouth shut, but that died down quickly. Some might not like MSU, but they don't really inspire much hate. We've also been uncharacteristically successful against them during our down years.
Ohio State ... This got a little more tense after Evan Turner, but again ... this one has never been that intense in basketball, IMO.
Penn State ... PSU would be in Tier Four, but ever since they broke our home winning streak in 2006, they have been a VERY sharp thorn in our side.
Purdue ... I know, I know, some might consider PU a rival; after all, they are the closest school to Champaign, and we have had a lot of battles with them over the year. However, the mutual hatred of IU plus Purdue just giving off an, err, non-combative vibe even when they're good really dulls this one for me.

TIER FOUR: Never Had Much Animosity For a Long-Time Conference Foe
Minnesota
... Just not a lot goin' on there for a traditional Big Ten series. We're killing them in the all-time series, have dominated them since 2000 and we both have plenty of other rivals.

TIER FIVE: Who Cares?
Maryland
... No knock against Maryland, but they're so new to the conference.
Nebraska ... I find it so entertaining hearing Iowa fans talk about how much they hate Nebraska ... Nebraska?? How? Lol.
Rutgers ... Again, just too new.

Not much to argue with here... well done.

I posted that I saw a foundation being built after the last IU/Illinois game not sure if anybody agreed or not. Very crazy how the two teams have gone since then.

That being said if I were you guys I would be cautious about the refs. I don’t trust Delaney and very curious if he’s scheming to get 9 teams in the tourney.

That combined with Archie having made some important changes could be big. Fair game I think Illinois wins this 6 out of 10 times though
Let’s see how the defense comes out. I thought in the first game they played too close to Langford, and it was too easy for him to drive especially since he was suspect for 3pt. Hope the plan changes this time around if his shot has not improved.

I really just don't understand how people can believe that the Big 10 commissioner would collude with the referees to cheat. It is absurd. Would Delaney really risk his job, reputation, etc for something so stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.