Pregame: Illinois vs Iowa, Saturday, November 17th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all love him, but at this point I have to doubt Epstein will ever make it through a whole season. Hopefully Cumby is as good as we think.
This foot thing was what started last year right? Or at least was what was ailing him early this year? Feet are fickle, tons of bones, ligaments, etc. and are some of the most stressed parts of the body (at least if you stand a lot). Also, I've heard a lot of doctors really try to not operate on feet, due to complexity and risk of complications.

Deleted member 645583

D
It's a home game, so it's possible Illini can win - if they return to Minny form and receivers receive. Corbin is very important.

Do college programs play games - as in mind games - not disclosing a player's condition until shortly before next game to keep opponent guessing? Just wondering.

P.S. Go Dre Brown, a fine back and kick returner. But I'm partial.

Last edited by a moderator:

BES76

Kennewick, Wa
We need 31 to win there offense is not that good
We'll need 47 ... we're giving up 46 pts and 556 yds per game in the Big 10.

Edited ... to steal from WizardBill, we might do better with 11 orange cones.

BZuppke

Plainfield
We’ve scored 90 points the last two games. This will be a much better defense, but their offense is mediocre. So if we can score a lot of points, we can win.

I"m hoping for the best. Not sure what that is.

Do college programs play games - as in mind games - not disclosing a player's condition until shortly before next game to keep opponent guessing? Just wondering.

Here's an opinion, in the NFL there are rules for reporting injuries and penalties for misreporting them. The NFL is predicated on individual matchups, so player availability is important. Plus opponents will know which body part to pummel during the game. In college, they shuffle players in and out en masse, and there are student privacy issues to contend with as well. I suspect Lovie's attitude toward announcing injuries carries forward from his NFL experience. However, in college we fans care about the players on our favorite team(s) and want to know more than we are given. One other question, has anyone tracked games played for Epstein, such that he may be able to RS?

Iowa has yet to have a 100 yard rusher on O this year. Seriously, if the defense can just be mediocre for one game we can win this one.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Iowa has yet to have a 100 yard rusher on O this year. Seriously, if the defense can just be mediocre for one game we can win this one.
We will almost certainly be the ones to break that streak for them. You're welcome, Iowa. I agree we can win this if we can not shoot ourselves in the foot and be a least mediocre on defense, as well as reverse our turnover luck from last game.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I know better than to get my hopes up for this one, but Iowa has been average at best for a good 3 weeks now. Stanley looks hurt or just isn't the player everyone thought he was going to be. They are average at RB and WR. Their TEs are beasts, but something is going on between Fant and Ferentz, because he was a ghost against Northwestern, and not because of a great gameplan by NW. Keep it close and funny things can happen. Iowa has been garbage in close games the past few years. Like 1-7 bad in 1 score games. Our lucky they bounce back, but this Iowa team is in free fall right now. Would love to take advantage and run my mouth for the next year.

I know better than to get my hopes up for this one, but Iowa has been average at best for a good 3 weeks now. Stanley looks hurt or just isn't the player everyone thought he was going to be. They are average at RB and WR. Their TEs are beasts, but something is going on between Fant and Ferentz, because he was a ghost against Northwestern, and not because of a great gameplan by NW. Keep it close and funny things can happen. Iowa has been garbage in close games the past few years. Like 1-7 bad in 1 score games. Our lucky they bounce back, but this Iowa team is in free fall right now. Would love to take advantage and run my mouth for the next year.

Amen, brother. Amen.

It's a home game, so it's possible Illini can win - if they return to Minny form and receivers receive. Corbin is very important.

P.S. Go Dre Brown, a fine back and kick returner. But I'm partial.

Really have to clean up those dropped passes. I know it was cold, windy..etc., but c'mon!

Really have to clean up those dropped passes. I know it was cold, windy..etc., but c'mon!

Yeah, 50% of me was actually pretty encouraged by some of the Nebraska game BECAUSE we made so many (seemingly) avoidable mistakes and were hanging with them, but the other 50% realizes that dumb mistakes are literally why teams lose games. I am hoping we can come out with some inspiration against a floundering Iowa team and steal one at home ... weather is looking worse and worse from what I can see; does that help us?? LOL, it certainly hurts my tailgating experience, but I would rather get the W.

I think we had quite a few turnovers between the two games with the worst weather, Wisconsin and then Nebraska. Hopefully that isn't a trend that continues for the final two games

Y

You must be drinking something other than orange soda. Iowa is far better than Illinois and it most likely won't be close.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Is our game bumped to BTN alternate?

Deleted member 173571

D
Y

You must be drinking something other than orange soda. Iowa is far better than Illinois and it most likely won't be close.
An Iowa season ticket holder with which I work stated that he can only remember 5 or 6 runs over 8 or 9 yards for Iowa all year. He also stated Iowa's defense can't stop a running QB. He is very pessimistic about Iowa winning because of those factors and the fact that Iowa has not performed well lately. He also stated Stanley locks onto receivers so he sees him getting picked off, and that Iowa's linebackers have been MIA. All of that said Illinois' defense has been the cure to many team's offense's woes this year.

If we can run the ball on them, win the turnover battle, and not allow Iowa to break big runs, we win this game.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
An Iowa season ticket holder with which I work stated that he can only remember 5 or 6 runs over 8 or 9 yards for Iowa all year. He also stated Iowa's defense can't stop a running QB. He is very pessimistic about Iowa winning because of those factors and the fact that Iowa has not performed well lately. He also stated Stanley locks onto receivers so he sees him getting picked off, and that Iowa's linebackers have been MIA. All of that said Illinois' defense has been the cure to many team's offense's woes this year.

If we can run the ball on them, win the turnover battle, and not allow Iowa to break big runs, we win this game.

Looks like the weather is going to be a run-the-ball kind of afternoon in Champaign Saturday: "Cloudy skies early followed by a mixture of light rain and snow in the afternoon. High 39 DegF. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 40%.". Should be a net benefit for the Illini as Iowa is 11th in the B1G in rushing and 5th in passing.

Deleted member 29907

D
Last home game for the seniors - I'll bet they both want to give it their all! ;)

Question for townies/students:

We will go to the game, but in the event our fine ladies want to leave early and we head to a bar, what would the best bars be to watch the game at in Campustown? They have been to all of them, so there isn't a "need" to see each one. I feel like we watched one at Firehaus back in the day and had a lot of fun, but ... I hear it is no more. Would Kam's be too packed/undergrad? Joe's? Legends? Brothers?

Thanks in advance. Excited to hit the road tomorrow at noon. Got a nice dinner at DESTIHL planned that I'm excited for. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.