Pregame: Illinois vs Iowa, Saturday, November 17th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLINIFAN2

Des Moines, IA
2nd question for locals... coming in from out of state with my 13 yr old son, what restaurant do you recommend us visiting before the game? Papa Dels or is it too crowded?

2nd question for locals... coming in from out of state with my 13 yr old son, what restaurant do you recommend us visiting before the game? Papa Dels or is it too crowded?

Are you turning that young man into an Illini fan?

Question for townies/students:

We will go to the game, but in the event our fine ladies want to leave early and we head to a bar, what would the best bars be to watch the game at in Campustown? They have been to all of them, so there isn't a "need" to see each one. I feel like we watched one at Firehaus back in the day and had a lot of fun, but ... I hear it is no more. Would Kam's be too packed/undergrad? Joe's? Legends? Brothers?

Thanks in advance. Excited to hit the road tomorrow at noon. Got a nice dinner at DESTIHL planned that I'm excited for. :)
I always preferred Legends personally, but Joe's would be a close 2nd for me. Firehaus was awesome too...

I was never a major Kam's person even in college, but that's just me. Brothers was a favorite, but not somewhere I'd necessarily go to watch a game typically.

I always preferred Legends personally, but Joe's would be a close 2nd for me. Firehaus was awesome too...

I was never a major Kam's person even in college, but that's just me. Brothers was a favorite, but not somewhere I'd necessarily go to watch a game typically.
I second Legends and Joes for on campus options if you want to sit down, Murphys isn't bad on game days either, though the other two are still better IMO. Kams/Red Lion/Bros are obviously more college like, but you'll still have a decent time.

If you want something more laid back, downtown Champaign has some really good options as does downtown Urbana. I wish access was easier as a student, but maybe it's for the best. Either way, most places will still be packed after the game. UC is more than just campustown!

I second Legends and Joes for on campus options if you want to sit down, Murphys isn't bad on game days either, though the other two are still better IMO. Kams/Red Lion/Bros are obviously more college like, but you'll still have a decent time.

If you want something more laid back, downtown Champaign has some really good options as does downtown Urbana. I wish access was easier as a student, but maybe it's for the best. Either way, most places will still be packed after the game. UC is more than just campustown!

We always stay at the Hyatt, so we will get around downtown for sure (Friday night will likely be only downtown, for example, and we'll likely head back toward the hotel after the game). I really want to check out the new Pour Bros location as a native Peorian, and my friends are quite enamored with the "beer garden alley" connecting Quality to Blind Pig Brewery and then facing out toward Cowboy Monkey's patio area. I don't think Champaign folks realize how cool that area could be if it were "spruced up" a bit and made to be a center of downtown of sorts ... maybe pay that bank to get the heck out of there and enclose it a bit as a very min-pedestrian mall area. I know that word scares the locals, though. :)

We always stay at the Hyatt, so we will get around downtown for sure (Friday night will likely be only downtown, for example, and we'll likely head back toward the hotel after the game). I really want to check out the new Pour Bros location as a native Peorian, and my friends are quite enamored with the "beer garden alley" connecting Quality to Blind Pig Brewery and then facing out toward Cowboy Monkey's patio area. I don't think Champaign folks realize how cool that area could be if it were "spruced up" a bit and made to be a center of downtown of sorts ... maybe pay that bank to get the heck out of there and enclose it a bit as a very min-pedestrian mall area. I know that word scares the locals, though. :)

I think it's already cool, but you're right it could be upgraded even more. If the new arena does go downtown maybe they put even more focus on the beer garden. Hanging out downtown Friday before/after a volleyball match, tailgating Saturday for a football game, then back downtown Saturday night for a hockey game would be a darn good Illini weekend.

I've never had to wait too long to get a table. The pizza does take awhile to bake. Whenever we want Papa Del's we usually order ahead 30-45 min.

I think it's already cool, but you're right it could be upgraded even more. If the new arena does go downtown maybe they put even more focus on the beer garden. Hanging out downtown Friday before/after a volleyball match, tailgating Saturday for a football game, then back downtown Saturday night for a hockey game would be a darn good Illini weekend.

Yeah, don't get me wrong - it's awesome. My friends have been so impressed with CU that we go back every year Iowa plays there. Our first trip as a friend group where we stumbled into downtown was 2016, and even since then there have been several new additions. The arena will be a game changer.

I've never had to wait too long to get a table. The pizza does take awhile to bake. Whenever we want Papa Del's we usually order ahead 30-45 min.
Since they opened the Neil St. location, seats are plentiful. When it was still located on Green, I remember going after a football game and (including bake time for a deep dish), it was at least a 2.5 hr wait. Sucks they aren't on campus anymore, but it makes the overall experience better for old people.

Roundtree not starting tomorrow disciplinary reason and Jatavious Martin is out as well....

I haven't had time to read the entire thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed. It looks like the weather tomorrow is going to be pretty nasty. Does this favor us or the Squawks? I have to think it will help cover up our inadequacies. We seemed to look decent when the weather was lousy in the Wisconsin game.
Any thoughts??

Deleted member 654622

D
We drive in and usually park next to Papa Dels. Then after the game, grab a bite to eat. Usually get seated pretty quick

ritster

Wheaton, IL
Looks like a snow game!!!! First snow game since Illinois vs Minnesota when Ty Douthard ran wild. I am looking forward to today!!

I am not looking forward to the drive to Champaign from Chicago however I am looking forward to seeing this game in person!!

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
Looks like a snow game!!!! First snow game since Illinois vs Minnesota when Ty Douthard ran wild. I am looking forward to today!!

I am not looking forward to the drive to Champaign from Chicago however I am looking forward to seeing this game in person!!

I was at that game back in '93. It was tempting to head home early, but I'm glad I didn't.

An Iowa season ticket holder with which I work stated that he can only remember 5 or 6 runs over 8 or 9 yards for Iowa all year. He also stated Iowa's defense can't stop a running QB. He is very pessimistic about Iowa winning because of those factors and the fact that Iowa has not performed well lately. He also stated Stanley locks onto receivers so he sees him getting picked off, and that Iowa's linebackers have been MIA. All of that said Illinois' defense has been the cure to many team's offense's woes this year.

If we can run the ball on them, win the turnover battle, and not allow Iowa to break big runs, we win this game.

I'll make you a bet on this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.