Pregame: Illinois vs Iowa State, Tuesday, November 20th, 4:00pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Guys, let's talk about Giorgi. What are realistic expectations for the rest of this season based on the games so far? Is it unreasonable to expect 14 pts & 6 reb per game?

We are winning out the rest of the way in Maui. This is a great team that’s definitely hasn’t the makings of a NCAA Tournament squad. We have a chance to pickup two more quality wins along the way and I don’t think Iowa State is gonna be ready for our pressure. ILL- 75 IST-67

Agree with you that this team "hasn't" the makings of a tournament team. But Trent, Ayo and Georgi are a great trio and I like our chances for next season. Unfortunately, at this point our interior defense is beyond pathetic.

ISU favored by 2.5 in Vegas.

Seems to me that these lines usually look a lot like the sabre-metric guys. KenPom says ISU by 6. We'll see if Nevada agrees.

I can't imagine KenPom has adjusted for the games from yesterday, right? Although, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference. More just curious.

We might lose this game. It would be understandable with the quick turn around and all the energy and emotion expelled last night. But I think for the first time in a long time, we have a real basketball team. It might just be an NIT basketball team, but it's a real life D1 power conference basketball team with multiple weapons and a distinct style of play. Arrow up.

why is this game so important?

Iowa State is a likely tournament team. We beat one tournament team last year, ONE! (miznoz).

If we bounce back from an emotional high-intensity game like last night and beat the Cyclones today, that would be a MAJOR step in the right direction.

and the crazy thing is, i think we’re actually the better team...

ILL 76
Iowa St 63

GO ILLINI

I can't imagine KenPom has adjusted for the games from yesterday, right? Although, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference. More just curious.
His system updates very quickly. We moved up 4 lines based on last night's game actually

Guys, let's talk about Giorgi. What are realistic expectations for the rest of this season based on the games so far? Is it unreasonable to expect 14 pts & 6 reb per game?
The season is long, especially for freshman. He's already blown away my expectations, but those numbers would be truly ridiculous. I know we want to be excited here, but sample size, sample size, sample size.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I do think we're the better team already than Iowa State, but this team is going to be emotionally and physically drained. Unfortunately I think that's the difference. Really hope I'm wrong.

Ia St - 82
Illini - 77

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I know it is VERY early for things like KenPom to work, however, ISU is 30 ish, Xavier/SDST are both 60's and we are 74. Just some perspective. Of course, I guess ISU is missing their best player, so that should help.

I've only got two things to say about todays game.... "ILL"...."INI"....

breadman

Herndon, VA
I'm hoping that some of these guys better be coming back today against ISU with chips on their shoulders. They need to show something for the team and to the coaching staff.

I know it is VERY early for things like KenPom to work, however, ISU is 30 ish, Xavier/SDST are both 60's and we are 74. Just some perspective. Of course, I guess ISU is missing their best player, so that should help.
T-Rank is a similar computer model based on per-possession efficiency. It has us at 34, Iowa St. at 31, San Diego St. at 41, and Xavier at 48.

Both models are still using preseason projections; I expect the difference is the degree to which previous season results are factored in. I don't know KenPom's current method, but at one point, he used the last nine seasons. So it's reasonable that his projection would put us in the 70-80 range, given our performance over that span.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
The Torvik System has us as .4 point dogs to the Cyclones.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but it has us going 16-14 (9-11) for the full season. How would we feel about that?

Really hope we can keep the pressure up this game. We need more from our veterans to win.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
The Torvik System has us as .4 point dogs to the Cyclones.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but it has us going 16-14 (9-11) for the full season. How would we feel about that?
Not good, considering we have 31 games in the regular season. lol. Besides that, still thinking we are one or two closer to 20 wins and go dancing due to our SOS.

If Illinois loses to Iowa State we as a fan base need to pack it in. They are 8 players deep right now.....missing their best scorer and post players. THT has been one of their best players but Babb and Shayok can go off if not handled approprately.

Yes exactly! Let's all just pack it in and give up if we lose tonight. 🙄 SHEESH. I can't believe we just lost to the #3 team in the country. Should have won by 20!

Posts like this drive me up the wall.

I do think we're the better team already than Iowa State, but this team is going to be emotionally and physically drained. Unfortunately I think that's the difference. Really hope I'm wrong.

Ia St - 82
Illini - 77

I think you're wrong there. I think emotionally their see the needle pointing up and want to show it. I think they come out and take it to the Cyclones. Illini by 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.