Pregame: Illinois vs Iowa State, Tuesday, November 20th, 4:00pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes exactly! Let's all just pack it in and give up if we lose tonight. 🙄 SHEESH. I can't believe we just lost to the #3 team in the country. Should have won by 20!

Posts like this drive me up the wall.

Granted, maybe I am putting too much weight on the miserable old farts who like our Facebook page, but I GENUINELY believe being a negative fan has become a part of many Illini fans' personalities. They enjoy it, and even if they don't explicitly enjoy it, it has become near inseparable from who they are as sports fans, so they can't let it go. Sad, really, though somewhat understandable given the hard times ... just sad that we can't all get behind a rebuild at least less than two years in, haha.

Not good, considering we have 31 games in the regular season. lol. Besides that, still thinking we are one or two closer to 20 wins and go dancing due to our SOS.
Pretty much all of the projection websites don't pick games where we don't yet know the opponent (see tomorrow's game). After tonight, it'll pick the 31st game.

I know Kenpom is still far from the most reliable source, but Iowa State sure looks like a heck of a barometer for the rest of the season based on his numbers. Iowa State ranked 30 and we will have 8(!!!) more games against teams ranked 23-36 (Nebraska 23, OSU 29, Iowa 33, PSU 35, Maryland 36).

Agree with you that this team "hasn't" the makings of a tournament team. But Trent, Ayo and Georgi are a great trio and I like our chances for next season. Unfortunately, at this point our interior defense is beyond pathetic.

Agree with you that this team "hasn't" the makings of a tournament team. But Trent, Ayo and Georgi are a great trio and I like our chances for next season. Unfortunately, at this point our interior defense is beyond pathetic.

ISU favored by 2.5 in Vegas.

I disagree with you. We do have the makings of a tournament team. Not only are we lacking at the 4 in defense, but Ayo and Felix allow too many players to blow by them. If we limit these defensive lapses, and Griffin, Jones, & Williams steps it up, I think we're there as a tourney team. I don't know what to think about Kipper. Talent is there, but heart not?

Using last night as a gauge but to a lessor extent:

Frazier 17
Ayo 21
Feliz 7
Jordan 11
Giorgi 15
Kipper 8
DeLaRosa 5
Griffin 5

ISU has 23 turnovers resulting in 18 fast break points/open 3's and we win 89-74

we might be fatigued, but they are more so. ISU only played 8 deep. starters had 31/33/36/39/40 minutes. bench had 6, 6, and 9 minutes no points. 1 starter only had 2 pts. fast paced pressure will wear them out by early 2nd half

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
I think that as long as this team doesn't give up on themselves, then I won't give up on them either. While I know we have a lot to work on in our D, I am honestly pleasantly surprised at how competitively we play. I don't know if we're even a bubble team or not, but I am more optimistic now than I was at the beginning of the season. I feel like coach is going roll up his sleeves and figure something out that will work for this group, because they're willing to put in the effort. I am also practically giddy at how much better GB is than I thought he was going to be, as a freshman and in general, so for me, I am willing to hope. At the very least, I love our style of play and think this is going to be a fun, if not sometimes frustrating, season. But a good kind of frustration, though, like "we are so much closer than I thought we would be to winning and I want this to happen", vs "do these guys even care...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.