Pregame: Illinois vs Iowa, Thursday, March 14th, 8:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 236589

D
This is disheartening -
Are you surprised? We're 12-20 with our only two wins out of out last seven games being Northwestern.

Keep in mind, these guys beat the living snot of us the first time around. Granted, we"very gotten better and that was an Iowa home game.

For the last month, people on this board have been saying we look tired when we've been playing two games in a week. Now, we have two games in less than 24 hours.

We'll see how this unfolds.....fingers crossed.

Deleted member 628259

D
There is a nice sense of schizophrenia reading their boards; I think the fan attitude breaks down roughly like this:

50% casual fan disenchantment ... just done and assume they will lose to literally anyone without thinking much about the opponent
35% "we suck, but we'll obviously beat ILLANNOY!!!! We haves fans ins Chicagos!"
10% true depression, talking about firing Fran and how no one good would even want to come take his place at Iowa
5% absolutely, 100% convinced that they will destroy us by as much as they did in Iowa City

I agree with the 5 percent in this case

This might be our toughest match up in the tourney. Beat Iowa = Big Ten Championship.

Have you seen Michigan?

Just because Tevian hasn't played much, doesn't mean he's transferring. A) He's a freshman B) He's been in trouble before C) We don't watch him in practice. Everyone here needs to chill with the transfer talk, my guess is that's it's based on nothing but pure speculation

I hate to rain on the good vibes, but this game feels more like iowa getting a chance to sharpen their claws as they cruise to an easy win.
We barely beat a NU team without their best player, had he played we most likely would have lost.
Our half court defense is too porous, which is bad against a team like Iowa. We haven’t been turning teams over like earlier in the season because teams have us scouted out. The only way we win is if Iowa severly shoots themselves in the foot the whole game, or have one of the worst shooting nights of the season.
I don’t see how we win, but i’ll be very happy if these boys pull it off.

Deleted member 11196

D
Or maybe we can avoid OT by making the bunny in bounds layup? One thing I really liked about the game yesterday was how the announcers said BU was all smiles after Feliz missed the potential game winner (and the rest of the team was very positive). But you know, BU is the most hard nose, yell in your face coach to ever walk the earth. But Feliz isn't the only one who misses those kinds of layups, this team needs to be practicing layups 25 hours a day this offseason.

Kipper missed one of those bunnies last night also... practicing layups and free-throws should be done every day...

breadman

Herndon, VA
Might just see a whole lot of zone from us tonight.

DJRichardson4threee

IlliniGator2011
Chicago, IL
I know we haven’t exactly been playing well of late, but I think too many people are discounting the fact that three of those “bad” losses came to teams that were on hit streaks (IU and penny state), also Iowa is on a cold streak of their own...

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
In the famous words of Ty Webb, don't kid yourself sir, you are a tremendous slouch
tumblr_ok9ic8RpHD1qmob6ro1_400.gif

Trent and Ayo need to hit there threes if we wanna keep pace with Iowa.

Partial side note, why does it seem like we've gotten way fewer turnover compared to even 10 games ago? I haven't really seen that much change in defensive philosophy, is it tired legs, or did BU call off the dogs?

Two of our latest games have been against NW who are pretty good at not turning the ball over. Both of those were low TO games (10.8, 12.1), though we did better turning them over in the game we lost to them. We also didn't turn over Indiana much (10.5%), but we really didn't do anything right that game.

Everything else has been pretty consistent in the TO% area - PSU, PU, and Wisconsin were all over 20%. At this point, I would say it just a match up (NW) and a bad game giving that impression.

When you look at the stats, this is a terrible match up for us. In three games vs UFI, Underwood’s Illini teams have given up an average of 98 points. Garza is averaging 20 and shooting an other-worldly percentage, including 100% on FT’s (14-14 I believe). Bohannon is 15-25 on 3PA. Basically, they’ve taken us to the woodshed.

It will be interesting to see what we do defensively. Even though Iowa has struggled, this is almost the perfect get right game for them. They aren’t particularly strong but they are really skilled, multi-tool players at nearly every spot which causes us huge problems. We need guys that are offensively challenged to cheat off of, and they don’t have those for us to take advantage of.

I’ll watch and be hopeful, but my realistic side says this will be ugly, especially if we get into another track meet with them.
Adding to this, Ill defense tends to double and leads to rotations when the ball gets out of the double. Iowa has better numbers for assists in conference, and better passing teams will Hurt this style. Need to stop unnecessary doubling and play man up. That’s what it appears teams do to us; stop the drive with one defender, then no one is open because rotations are not needed.

Giorgi really needs to learn when to pass out of the double. He does some amazing things in the post but it encourages him to take bad shots sometimes. Needs to develop some judiciousness- will really help our whole offense when that happens.
Definitely agree. I think this is something he will learn/ work on over the summer. Guessing it will be more of concept learning, understanding where to go with the ball depending on where the double comes from and play call. He’s patient and keeps his dribble alive, and apparently loved to pass in high school, so it appears he has desirable traits to make it work. This would completely open up the three/ cause rotational defense and lead to open shots.

We also need to not let Garza continue to build his career on games against us. Seems like he has owned us the last couple of games.
Giorgi will get doubled and they will dare the rest to beat them. Ayo, Trent, and somebody else will have to show tonight or we'll get thumped.

Or maybe we can avoid OT by making the bunny in bounds layup? One thing I really liked about the game yesterday was how the announcers said BU was all smiles after Feliz missed the potential game winner (and the rest of the team was very positive). But you know, BU is the most hard nose, yell in your face coach to ever walk the earth. But Feliz isn't the only one who misses those kinds of layups, this team needs to be practicing layups 25 hours a day this offseason.
Looked like Pardon for a clean block. I was laughing at the replay looking at kipper, he was either a decoy screen or pulled a Mattis. Didn’t look at the replay twice. If Giorgi was there pardon may have hesitated, stayed with Giorgi and layup good???

Trent and Ayo need to hit there threes if we wanna keep pace with Iowa.

Partial side note, why does it seem like we've gotten way fewer turnover compared to even 10 games ago? I haven't really seen that much change in defensive philosophy, is it tired legs, or did BU call off the dogs?
I think the coach has called off the dogs. I don't see the full-court pressure continuously or the pressure out top like we have seen in the past. Maybe it only seems that way, but that is what it looks like to me.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I think the coach has called off the dogs. I don't see the full-court pressure continuously or the pressure out top like we have seen in the past. Maybe it only seems that way, but that is what it looks like to me.
If coach plans to play more than 2 games this week that's a necessity to keep some semi-fresh legs if they're needed on Friday. I think that's why we saw so much TU last night.

Adding to this, Ill defense tends to double and leads to rotations when the ball gets out of the double. Iowa has better numbers for assists in conference, and better passing teams will Hurt this style. Need to stop unnecessary doubling and play man up. That’s what it appears teams do to us; stop the drive with one defender, then no one is open because rotations are not needed.

If we wanted a good shot we’d sit in that zone and pack it in a bit trying to make them shoot contested jumpers over the top. If we guard m2m, we are going to get caught in those slow rotations and they’ll get wide open threes or easy driving lanes.

If we wanted a good shot we’d sit in that zone and pack it in a bit trying to make them shoot contested jumpers over the top. If we guard m2m, we are going to get caught in those slow rotations and they’ll get wide open threes or easy driving lanes.

I think we're going to pressure them as we normally do. Last outing against us they did fork up 15 turnovers and I think the game would have been a lot closer had they not gone bezerk from deep. I do hope if they come out hitting shots that we revert to something else.

I think we're going to pressure them as we normally do. Last outing against us they did fork up 15 turnovers and I think the game would have been a lot closer had they not gone bezerk from deep. I do hope if they come out hitting shots that we revert to something else.

And that would be a disaster. But, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised. Not like this zebra is prone to changing its spots. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.