Not open for further replies.
Admin
Illinois vs Maryland
Wednesday, January 7th
8:00pm CT
BTN

:illinois:

Little Rock, Arkansas
We will lose in the 2nd half. We may be competitive in the first half but Maryland will pull away in the 2nd half of we will choke away a lead. It's what this team does and hasn't stopped in every loss.

We will lose in the 2nd half. We may be competitive in the first half but Maryland will pull away in the 2nd half of we will choke away a lead. It's what this team does and hasn't stopped in every loss.
Difference is we are at home. Have to use that to our advantage and be the ones to pull away.

Danville,IL
Pretty sure it's supposed to be bitterly cold that night too, which will probably keep some fans at home. High of zero degrees.
Ya not looking forward to that walk from the car to inside The State Farm,Or the walk back as a matter of fact.

Chicago, IL
Welp, at least you have a shot to win a bobblehead of The Rev if you make the trip for the game.

So much negativity. I expect a close game that could go either way.

So much negativity. I expect a close game that could go either way.
The past two years, we've gone into a long swoon at this time of year. And this team looks to have more weaknesses than the past two teams. So the negativity isn't unfounded.

I think that will be around the right margin.

I also expect that even though we are in our own gym, we won't get friendly whistles. Don't know why, but we never seem to even though every other home team does in conference play.
Husker, that's false perception caused by innate fan bias. We all suffer from it.

I think that will be around the right margin.

I also expect that even though we are in our own gym, we won't get friendly whistles. Don't know why, but we never seem to even though every other home team does in conference play.
The majority of our shots are taken from the perimeter. We have no inside scoring presence and don't attack the basket very often. Jump shooting teams don't go to the line a ton. Yet ironically we nearly took as many FTs as OSU today.

The past two years, we've gone into a long swoon at this time of year. And this team looks to have more weaknesses than the past two teams. So the negativity isn't unfounded.
Yep. We've made our bed again.

Coming back home, plus playing hopefully with a huge sense of urgency, could propel us to an upset win. I still hold out hope. But we can't let MD dominate us in the paint, and we need to tighten up our D and keep their guards from penetrating, especially Wells. Wells vs. RR should be a fun battle to watch.

Offensively, we really need to get some easy transition buckets. Our halfcourt offense is so inefficient and one-dimensional without a quality PG or C. But that starts with good D and then good defensive rebounding from NE and MH so that our guards can fill the lanes and run out.

This is a pretty interesting view.
Last years team won games they should have lost, and this years team's lost some games they should have won.
The picture will come into view better in a month.

This is a pretty interesting view.
Last years team won games they should have lost, and this years team's lost some games they should have won.
The picture will come into view better in a month.
Last year's team played terrific defense. That kept us in most games and gave us a shot at upsets. This year's team has yet to find an identity. We really don't do anything particularly well other than hit a high % of FT.

Last year's team played terrific defense. That kept us in most games and gave us a shot at upsets. This year's team has yet to find an identity. We really don't do anything particularly well other than hit a high % of FT.
I agree on all fronts here, but like you said; at best we were the "upset" team.
I notice the lack of identity on both sides of the ball as well, but we should have beat Michigan and Oregon, and should have had a chance against OSU and Nova, and Miami.
Groce has shown that he can make adjustments to change the course of a season.
Hopefully he can get these guys playing better, and find their identity.

The majority of our shots are taken from the perimeter. We have no inside scoring presence and don't attack the basket very often. Jump shooting teams don't go to the line a ton. Yet ironically we nearly took as many FTs as OSU today.
+1. I believe there is actual data that shows we don't have as large a FTA at home as other B1G teams, but it's more about the reasons you outlined than any lack of "home court advantage".

Fairfield, IL
I would love to see more inside drives and more inside shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.