Pregame: Illinois vs Maryland, Wednesday, January 7th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
can someone explain how the betting system works?
Are you talking about just what the numbers mean? If so, +/- a number is the spread, i.e., how much you modify that team's score. So if you bet on Maryland at -2.5, you're betting that (Maryland's score)-2.5 > Illinois score. In other words, that Maryland will win by 3 or more.

As for how the spread is arrived at by the oddsmakers, I'm not the person to give the best explanation.

Admin
Just one of those games that has bad luck timing with weather. It's -20 wind chill now, roads are very slick, only going to get colder tonight. Obviously, crowd will be a bit thin.

It's not all bad though. For those hearty souls who attend tonight, a much better chance this could be yours :) -

https://twitter.com/IlliniAthletics/status/552877644317204480

So great to see us honoring Illini legend Shelden Williams!

Game just moved to a pick em. Usually not a debbie downer, but not sure how the line moved to a pick 'em. With Rice i would have put us maybe -1 or -2 at a stretch, just think he is the one guy that is irreplaceable.

:illinois:

I can't bet against Illinois, just can't do it..... but man if there was ever a time to make an exception, this is Definitely it. We should be at least 8 point dogs in this one, this game should be easy money for a betting man. Hope I'm Wrong!

Looks like a sure bet

Game just moved to a pick em. Usually not a debbie downer, but not sure how the line moved to a pick 'em. With Rice i would have put us maybe -1 or -2 at a stretch, just think he is the one guy that is irreplaceable.

:illinois:
Bet Maryland
If we win you lose money but are thrilled
If Maryland wins you are sad but at least you win some money

Iowa City, Ia.
If you can go, go. This team has had its fair share of bad luck, and it could use a rowdy crowd behind it. If for no other reason, let's show a Maryland fan base that is high on (unfounded) arrogance that SFC is still a snake pit to play in!

http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/53/Contents/Go-on-Record-Maryland-vs-Illinois-34463568

Wow, almost all the Maryland fans on that board are predicting they blow us out. I know we're not the favorites here, but talk about arrogant. I think being at home will help us more than people realize.
If the roles were reversed, fans on this forum would be talking about blowing out Maryland. Illinois hasn't been playing well and we just lost our best player. Of course they are going to expect a blowout.

But as you said, road games are always tricky in the B1G. Let's see what kind of effort we get tonight.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/53/Contents/Go-on-Record-Maryland-vs-Illinois-34463568

Wow, almost all the Maryland fans on that board are predicting they blow us out. I know we're not the favorites here, but talk about arrogant. I think being at home will help us more than people realize.
I read BOTH pages!:) I didn't get the sense of arrogance you saw. I thought several of the post were conciliatory towards Rayvonte and the majority of posts had been edited to change their predictions after they had heard about RR.

I read BOTH pages!:) I didn't get the sense of arrogance you saw. I thought several of the post were conciliatory towards Rayvonte and the majority of posts had been edited to change their predictions after they had heard about RR.
Didn't realize that a lot of posts had been edited. Still, I think the game will be closer than most of them expect.

Bet Maryland
If we win you lose money but are thrilled
If Maryland wins you are sad but at least you win some money
I did this, i hedge my happiness, unfortunately i usually end up covering when i make such bets. I just don't see us winning.

The flip side to this line is that almost any time a line seems way too good to be true, for some sort of odd reason the team ends up covering, lets hope that's the case here.

I can't bet against Illinois, just can't do it..... but man if there was ever a time to make an exception, this is Definitely it. We should be at least 8 point dogs in this one, this game should be easy money for a betting man. Hope I'm Wrong!
I love when the betting public sees things this way!

Dodd is a hoss. I'm interested to see Egwu matchup with the Sophomore, and his foreign freshman backup.

Wilmette, IL
Ya. Black needs to be ready to play 20 minutes at the 4. If he can't do that now, I'd almost rather see Groce try Colbert at the 4 than Starks at the 2.
I'd like to see Black playing 20 minutes at the 4 whether he's ready or not, until he fouls out. He needs playing time to get better, and he needs to get better. Why not start now?

New York
I'd like to see Black playing 20 minutes at the 4 whether he's ready or not, until he fouls out. He needs playing time to get better, and he needs to get better. Why not start now?
Fine with me as long as he's learning.

Just one of those games that has bad luck timing with weather. It's -20 wind chill now, roads are very slick, only going to get colder tonight. Obviously, crowd will be a bit thin.

It's not all bad though. For those hearty souls who attend tonight, a much better chance this could be yours :) -

https://twitter.com/IlliniAthletics/status/552877644317204480
I need one of those bobble heads badly. No one talks up the Rev like I do. One of my all time favorites

Had an offer for an A section seat, but I didnt want to take the chance of driving in this weather especially with high winds. I know, I know, a good fan would be there, but I'm getting old with better decision making 75% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.