Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan, Saturday, October 12th, 11:00am CT, ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO

Deleted member 651864

D
I just watched this interview with Lovie in the previous post, and just feel badly that Lovie is not the right guy. He is a mild-mannered, great family guy. But I think he probably already knows in his heart that this isn't working. I'm guessing our only chance at a W the rest of the way will be Rutgers. There's no shame in finishing out the season and going on to a great retirement. Firing him mid-season would probably be a mistake.

I don't know who they will hire next. What about Howard Griffith? Does he have any coaching experience? I always like watching him on Big Ten Network, and he really knows the game.

Deleted member 654622

D
Dick Butkus will be signing autographs....
Do I drive 2.5 hrs up to get his autograph and maybe find somebody selling a cheap ticket to watch the game solo or stay home, coach my kids soccer game, watch the game on tv and go golf afterwards?????

I just watched this interview with Lovie in the previous post, and just feel badly that Lovie is not the right guy. He is a mild-mannered, great family guy. But I think he probably already knows in his heart that this isn't working. I'm guessing our only chance at a W the rest of the way will be Rutgers. There's no shame in finishing out the season and going on to a great retirement. Firing him mid-season would probably be a mistake.

I don't know who they will hire next. What about Howard Griffith? Does he have any coaching experience? I always like watching him on Big Ten Network, and he really knows the game.

We have reached a point in the internet where I am having trouble telling the difference between trolls and just plain strange comments/suggestions. I'm guessing this fits into the latter.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Do I drive 2.5 hrs up to get his autograph and maybe find somebody selling a cheap ticket to watch the game solo or stay home, coach my kids soccer game, watch the game on tv and go golf afterwards?????
I would go with option B.

Deleted member 651864

D
I honestly thought this was the definition of the internet.
Thanks for the insults. We all have the same goal in mind. What would your ideal coach be? What do we have to lose at this point than to think outside the box for the next coach? Why do we want to do what everyone else does (the lower Power 5 teams) and continue to be mediocre? My dog could stand on the sideline and earn a 2-10 or 3-9 record, which is what we have consistently become. We need a splash hire that will spark interest, get recruits interested, and win games. Of course the Howard Griffith comment was a bit off the wall, but I'm ready for a hire that will get everybody pumped up. Ok ready for your insults again.....

Thanks for the insults. We all have the same goal in mind. What would your ideal coach be? What do we have to lose at this point than to think outside the box for the next coach? Why do we want to do what everyone else does (the lower Power 5 teams) and continue to be mediocre? My dog could stand on the sideline and earn a 2-10 or 3-9 record, which is what we have consistently become. We need a splash hire that will spark interest, get recruits interested, and win games. Of course the Howard Griffith comment was a bit off the wall, but I'm ready for a hire that will get everybody pumped up. Ok ready for your insults again.....
What did Howard say?

BZuppke

Plainfield
Joey the insult is directed at your suggestion that Illinois hand its program over to someone who has never coached at any level anywhere. Even high schools hire head coaches who coached at some level prior to being hired as a head coach. Thus, people didn’t know what to make of that comment.

Joey the insult is directed at your suggestion that Illinois hand its program over to someone who has never coached at any level anywhere. Even high schools hire head coaches who coached at some level prior to being hired as a head coach. Thus, people didn’t know what to make of that comment.

This.

Sorry man. I usually hate when people are rude on message boards, but that suggestion was even more off the wall than thinking Holocek should get the job. We already tried to get people excited with a hire in Lovie, and that bombed. I would much rather have somebody who has had consistent success that might be boring than the opposite.

Deleted member 651864

D
This.

Sorry man. I usually hate when people are rude on message boards, but that suggestion was even more off the wall than thinking Holocek should get the job. We already tried to get people excited with a hire in Lovie, and that bombed. I would much rather have somebody who has had consistent success that might be boring than the opposite.
Wait what if Howard brings Glen Mason and Gerry Dinardo as the 2 coordinators LOL just kidding! I just hope we don't hire someone boring again. I want someone a bit loco like the head coaches at Oklahoma State or Washington State. Someone that will sell tickets just by being a bit crazy. Someone that goes for 4th and 5 at the 50 at the beginning of a game to set the tone and tell people how things are going to be, and put a little fear in the opponent. Someone that may have a criminal record and is very sorry now, and can take his anger out on Saturdays. I know they have to be well rounded, have experience, can recruit, etc., but we can't just go with the same pattern here. It's time for JW to get creative with this hire. My ideal coach would be age 35-45, have some anger issues, and be able to have smart coordinators around him. I fear that this person doesn't exist and that coaches know they would be coming to Illinois just to fail and ruin their careers. I'd love to know what JW is thinking.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Since you replied to my post, I'll just say that my post wasn't in reply to yours and certainly no insult to you was intended. My apologies if it was taken as such.

I would be interested in hearing more about this dog, however. Can the dog recruit the midwest? This isn't one of those triple option dogs, is it? Does the dog have a buyout? Would the dog even be willing to take the job if offered?

Deleted member 654622

D
Since you replied to my post, I'll just say that my post wasn't in reply to yours and certainly no insult to you was intended. My apologies if it was taken as such.

I would be interested in hearing more about this dog, however. Can the dog recruit the midwest? This isn't one of those triple option dogs, is it? Does the dog have a buyout? Would the dog even be willing to take the job if offered?
raw

Players in position, still not making the tackle....I'll pass

Grabowski and Liuget are signing as well.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Take option 2 minus the part about watching the game on TV

BZuppke only had about five years of high school coaching before he took over at Illinois. He won seven B10 and four National titles. Think what he might have done if he had access to the Smith Center or helmets.

So as a public service, here's MGOBlog's take on Illinois:

Offense: https://mgoblog.com/content/fee-fi-foe-film-illinois-offense-0
Defense: https://mgoblog.com/content/fee-fi-foe-film-illinois-defense-2019
Overall: https://mgoblog.com/content/preview-illinois-2019

I'll provide a quick summary...

Things they like/respect:
  • The Illinois sports internet community ("One of these days Illinois is going to pay off for the bizarrely numerous internet content persons dedicated to their football program. Saturday will not be that day.")
  • Reggie Corbin
  • Jamal Milan
  • Lovie Smith's beard
Things they don't like/disrespect:
  • Um, pretty much everything else
Final score prediction: 33-5 (Unlikely score predictions are a long-running inside joke)

I'll be at the game, bearing the colors of my undergraduate institution. Sorry. The "M" may stand for "Mediocre", but at least it doesn't stand for "Masochist". I"ll be back onside for basketball season. Promise.

Last edited:

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Our two best players being seniors kinda defies some of the narratives surrounding this team.

I don't really have a take on that, it's just interesting to note.

Our two best players being seniors kinda defies some of the narratives surrounding this team.

I don't really have a take on that, it's just interesting to note.

"We'll translate this talent to wins."

is starting to sound a lot like:

"Free beer tomorrow."

Status
Not open for further replies.