Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan State, Sunday, February 22nd, 6:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Groce needs to go up to the referees before the game Sunday and remind them of all the home cooking calls Michigan State received in East Lansing and we now expect to get those calls in our favor!

Iowa City
I've said this forever. Don't trust any opinions except your eyes when a player shows up . Highlight videos are just that ,highlights. Yet time and again a new name pops up and here comes the " Go get him Groce" or "Lock him up ". I swear I would have thought most of the posters here should have figured this out by now but I guess not . But I know that is the nature of message boards.
Highlight tapes on a high school kid are one thing, but Cosby did it on the college level for 2 years. We had a good idea of who he was coming in. He hasn't lived up to that.

Both teams shot the ball pretty poorly in East Lansing. I actually think they played better than us in the first one, they just messed up their free throws. Hopefully Groce uses that as motivation and the team comes out sharp. I think the first to 70 wins. We know they like to push the ball, but playing at home I think we will be aggressive and push the ball back which will lead to more open looks for both teams.

Admin

Groce: Want to be more physical than we were on Sunday at Wisconsin. Need to get that edge back quickly.

Groce: Could debate that Michigan State is the hottest team in the league.

Groce: MSU playing Tum Tum more. For us, we brought back Ray. Changes matchups a little bit.

Groce: Adding Rice has been good. Rice isn't completely Ray yet but off week has helped with conditioning and timing.

Groce: Ray gives us more depth on the perimeter. Gives us more versatility, can play different lineups.

Groce: I just love Rice's attitude and disposition. A lot of people have told me they're amazed that he plays to win. Has no agenda.

Groce: Defensive consistency has been better as of late. Want to see more consistency offensively.

Groce: Hope we can take a couple more steps forward with Leron Black. Really taented. He had odd matchups last weeek.

Groce: Colbert played really well and stole some minutes from Black based on how he played. "We need everybody."

Groce: Had discussions with Cosby about short-term and long-term. "I want Aaron to be happy."

Groce: Haven't had any discussions about freshman ineligibility. None of us coaches have talked about it.

Groce: Tum Tum adds great speed, ignites their transition game, knows his role, competes. Love his competitiveness.

Groce: "We're always trying to add depth. We want depth at all the positions."

Groce: Recruiting has been good. Most people are optimistic. Fans seem excited.

Groce: I think people appreciate how this team has overcome obstacles. There's a blue-collar mentality people appreciate.

Groce: Teams in our league are good, they're competitive, they're well-coached. Any time you're beat in Game 1, adds edge in Game 2

Uh oh, @sryantribune asks about #illini FT percentage. Groce: "You and Tupper."

Groce: Don't talk a lot about technique with FTs during season. "We do the same thing every day. I literally mean EVERY...DAY."

Tate asks if game will be a sellout. @Illinihoops says no. John Groce replies, "It needs to be. And you can print that." #ilini

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU

For some reason I feel like this is the biggest game of the year!:shield:

It is the biggest game of the year....If we lose we could be staring at a 3 game losing streak heading into Iowa...If we win, we will a ton of momentum going into Iowa.

For some reason I feel like this is the biggest game of the year!:shield:

This game is big and going to be tough. But the one that is haunting me is at Purdue. There is little chance to recover and they are playing a ton better. 7-1 in their last 8 games :eek:

Iowa City
At the end of the press conference when Rob puts the camera down, is he in socks? Is he in a press conference with his shoes off?

NW Suburbs
This game is big and going to be tough. But the one that is haunting me is at Purdue. There is little chance to recover and they are playing a ton better. 7-1 in their last 8 games :eek:

We can afford a loss to Purdue if we take care of business at home.

Bringing my son for his 2nd Illini game. The 1st was 3 years ago. Hope the 3 hour drive helps bring an Illini victory! Can't believe it's not sold out, but we will make enough noise to make up for some of the open seats.:chief:

Champaign, IL
Bringing my son for his 2nd Illini game. The 1st was 3 years ago. Hope the 3 hour drive helps bring an Illini victory! Can't believe it's not sold out, but we will make enough noise to make up for some of the open seats.:chief:

It should be a sellout... but some people don't know what they are doing in the ticket office. It would cost $103 (45.50 X 2 + 12 in fees) for a pair of tickets in the 200 level on fightingillini.com. Most people would rather watch on a big HDTV than spend that kind of money to sit high up, and I don't blame them. Pretty sure Illinois has the highest priced face value ticket in the Big Ten.

Last edited:

This game is huge. Win this and it gives a foot up in finishing the season well and a tournament berth. Lose it and we are further behind the 8-ball with more pressure to win. I would really like to see us going in to Purdue fairly confident that we don't have to have a win there. Playing loose and confident, the Illini can beat anyone. With pressure and a must-win situation, who knows how it will play out.

Have to think that there's no way MSU shoots from the stripe as poorly as they did the last time we played them.

Then again, we'll be at home with RayRay back in the fold.

Have a bad feeling for some reason, but such is to be expected as an Illini fan.

Decatur, IL
Have to think that there's no way MSU shoots from the stripe as poorly as they did the last time we played them.

Then again, we'll be at home with RayRay back in the fold.

Have a bad feeling for some reason, but such is to be expected as an Illini fan.

They shot basically their season average so...

We win again.

It should be a sellout... but some people don't know what they are doing in the ticket office. It would cost $103 (45.50 X 2 + 12 in fees) for a pair of tickets in the 200 level on fightingillini.com. Most people would rather watch on a big HDTV than spend that kind of money to sit high up, and I don't blame them. Pretty sure Illinois has the highest priced face value ticket in the Big Ten.

Notice all the sellouts came during games when they sold off huge amounts of discounted tickets. The MSU game only has the student ticket "discount" which should be a discount anyway no matter what.

Champaign, IL
Notice all the sellouts came during games when they sold off huge amounts of discounted tickets. The MSU game only has the student ticket "discount" which should be a discount anyway no matter what.

Yep.. and why aren't they offering a discount for this game when half of the 200 level is still unsold?

Yep.. and why aren't they offering a discount for this game when half of the 200 level is still unsold?

I listened to Mike Thomas last Saturday and he said something to the effect that he was disappointed that fans are waiting for the discounts but that was in reference to the football games. Wonder if he feels that way for the basketball game. $45 to sit up in the last row of 200 is a joke, it needs to be discounted for those last 4 rows.

I listened to Mike Thomas last Saturday and he said something to the effect that he was disappointed that fans are waiting for the discounts but that was in reference to the football games. Wonder if he feels that way for the basketball game. $45 to sit up in the last row of 200 is a joke, it needs to be discounted for those last 4 rows.

They might be trying to incentivize the purchase of season tickets. It's $45 dollars for a B1G game, but I paid ~$200 including miscellaneous fees for an entire season up there in the clouds. Still, those prices are :crazy:

Champaign, IL

Yep I wonder if they even compare our ticket prices to other schools.. Here's some of the face value prices of Illinois games on the road this season.

Michigan.
Lower level 100 $40
Upper level 200 $25

Michigan State
Lower level 100 $32
Upper level ( lower rows) $24
Upper level ( last 10 rows ) $15

Iowa. All tickets are $27 each.

So a upper level seat at Michigan State was between $15-24 while Illinois 200 level is $45 and up. You would think by our prices that we've won 3 national titles in the last 10 years and sell out every night. Indiana is the only school in the conference that could get away with prices like this. Illinois basketball is not a hot ticket like the Chicago Blackhawks.
Prices should be. A $40 B $25 200 $15

Bloomington
They'd sell out at $60, $40, $25. The only reason to pay $45 for a C ticket is if there are no available tix on the secondary market, a Top 10 team is in town, or you want to snag center court seats at the beginning of the season.

They might be trying to incentivize the purchase of season tickets. It's $45 dollars for a B1G game, but I paid ~$200 including miscellaneous fees for an entire season up there in the clouds. Still, those prices are :crazy:

That's exactly what they're trying to do, but $42 is still insane

Status
Not open for further replies.