Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan State, Sunday, February 22nd, 6:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
M tipping over
Pdx
Did we really just ask about sweeping a team in every stinking interview? Good job guys. Another win for Rob, though, asking original questions (even if he seems to like asking the tough ones like asking Malcolm how Ray coming back affects his role).

Champaign
What also really annoys me about the official online ticket service is that, a few hours before the game, they'll release tens of hundreds of more seats. For example, I checked for last-minute tickets to the Michigan game that was "sold out" and came to find at least twelve different pairs of A and B-section tickets listed on the "pick my seats" feature on the website. They were still $50.00 a ticket, but I bought them and enjoyed sitting down there thoroughly. So my question(s)... why wait to release these seats for so long, and why don't you mark down the price??

Champaign, IL
What also really annoys me about the official online ticket service is that, a few hours before the game, they'll release tens of hundreds of more seats. For example, I checked for last-minute tickets to the Michigan game that was "sold out" and came to find at least twelve different pairs of A and B-section tickets listed on the "pick my seats" feature on the website. They were still $50.00 a ticket, but I bought them and enjoyed sitting down there thoroughly. So my question(s)... why wait to release these seats for so long, and why don't you mark down the price??

They did that today for the MSU game and will release more Sunday morning/afternoon. Most online ticket services actually do the same thing as the university reserves tickets for administrators, sponsors, clients, etc. The problem with that is some of those tickets go unsold.

Champaign
They did that today for the MSU game and will release more Sunday morning/afternoon. Most online ticket services actually do the same thing as the university reserves tickets for administrators, sponsors, clients, etc. The problem with that is some of those tickets go unsold.

I guess that's what I meant; I understand that they hold some back, but it was really weird to see 20+ tickets in A-section sitting there three hours before an advertised "sell-out, single seats only remain." I would just call for them to maybe release these seats earlier on in the week prior to the game as opposed to just a few hours before, and maybe even lower the prices if it's clear they're going to go unsold otherwise.

Central Illinois
Groce needs to go up to the referees before the game Sunday and remind them of all the home cooking calls Michigan State received in East Lansing and we now expect to get those calls in our favor!

We probably need a working definition of what a box out is. If what Jaylon did is foul, then 50%+ of all rebounds need to have a foul called.

Seriously though, win all remaining home games puts us at 20 wins and a winning record in conference play. I think if we do that, steal a game at Iowa or Purdon't, and win a Big Ten tourney game, then we should be solidly in. Anything less would up in the air. The key is just not to lay an egg these next few games. I doubt Egwu or Ray will let that happen.

We probably need a working definition of what a box out is. If what Jaylon did is foul, then 50%+ of all rebounds need to have a foul called.

Seriously though, win all remaining home games puts us at 20 wins and a winning record in conference play. I think if we do that, steal a game at Iowa or Purdon't, and win a Big Ten tourney game, then we should be solidly in. Anything less would up in the air. The key is just not to lay an egg these next few games. I doubt Egwu or Ray will let that happen.

If we get to 20 wins before the BTT we will be in no doubt.

Champaign, IL
Michigan State opening as a 1.5 pt favorite

Bloomington

I'm actually a little surprised by this. Wish the ticket office would've done a better job lowering prices last week and filling spots.

If we get to 20 wins before the BTT we will be in no doubt.

That means we lose 3 or our remaining 5 games. 20 wins before BTT give us about a 15 % chance of making the dance. MUST defend our home court.

That means we lose 3 or our remaining 5 games. 20 wins before BTT give us about a 15 % chance of making the dance. MUST defend our home court.
If we lose 3/5, we only have 19 wins. We are 17-9, for 20 wins we need to win 3 of 5. If we defend home court, we get 20 wins before BTT.

Chicago, IL

If we lose 3/5, we only have 19 wins. We are 17-9, for 20 wins we need to win 3 of 5. If we defend home court, we get 20 wins before BTT.

haha, I can't count or read. You're right. Like somebody said @ Purdue might be our play in game.

Yep, if we lose tomorrow, we'll have to win one of the two road games. So, like others have said, tomorrow's as close to a must win as you can get.

I wouldn't say that. Lose tomorrow and @Iowa is as close to a must win as you can get. I almost like our chances better @Iowa, MSU is playing great right now.

Champaign
Tomorrow is not a must-win. Win at Iowa and/or Purdue and this (potential) home loss will be forgiven. It will also not be a bad loss and can only be a quality win. BUT as a fan you'd feel 110% more comfortable on Selection Sunday if we can take care of business against MSU tomorrow. So I guess it's a must-win for the fans and their blood pressure? :D :thumb:

Tomorrow is not a must-win. Win at Iowa and/or Purdue and this (potential) home loss will be forgiven. It will also not be a bad loss and can only be a quality win. BUT as a fan you'd feel 110% more comfortable on Selection Sunday if we can take care of business against MSU tomorrow. So I guess it's a must-win for the fans and their blood pressure? :D :thumb:

Tomorrow would only be a must-win if selection sunday was the next day. Even then, I would think our chances would be 50/50 that we get into the tournament. We have some quality wins that will keep us in okay shape even if we lost to MSU, Iowa, and Purdue. We would have a ton of anxiety as a fan base, but we would still have a chance.

If we win 3 of the next 5, we would likely be in even with an early B1G tourney exit. If we win 2 of the 5, we may need two wins in the tourney to feel comfortable about getting in. Winning 2 of the next 5, and only 1 B1G tourney game, then our chances are likely 50/50.

The worse we do, the more dependent we'll be on other bubble teams to do poorly. There isn't any specific game on our schedule that can knock us out of contention.. Just another benefit of being in a power conference.

This may have been said already but getting to 20 wins means winning 3 of our last 5 which will most certainly get us in.

Champaign
There isn't any specific game on our schedule that can knock us out of contention.. Just another benefit of being in a power conference.

Well said. It still amazes me that this team has yet to accumulate a true "bad loss" on the year. And you're right, none of our remaining road games would be counted as bad L's for the resume, and that's the Big Ten for you. The only home games that might be seen as bad losses (depending on how the team performs, of course) would be the Nebraska and Northwestern games. In other words, play hard and take care of business at the SFC and win one BTT game and there should be no reason to sweat it out on Selection Sunday IMO.

Chicago, IL
I agree that $45 per ticket is crazy! I ended up buying a pair in C section (sorry cant call it 200 level) for that same price through ebay. I needed to be down there for what is one of the most important games of the year.

On another note, does anyone know what jerseys they are going to wear? I'm surprised that they havent worn the 1998-2005 jerseys yet. I remember Groce saying there will be a couple surprises and jerseys that honor the past. We've seen the 89 jerseys twice already. How could they honor the past without wearing the jersey from arguably the best run of illini teams in illinois history? Having said that, I'll be wearing my Dee 11 navy jersey in hopes this happens! Go illini!

I was surprised by this. I understand there's a significant change in line-up and we might have lucked out a little with their poor free throw shooting at East Lansing, but I think the sharps are undervaluing home court advantage here. There was a blogger who posted that up to Feb 16th, inter-b1g play holds a 62-27 advantage at home. Since it's pretty well understood that home court advantage primarily sources from biases in officiating -- it was never more observable than the last time we played MSU.

I would expect a close game with some shenanigans in officiating towards the end of the game which will tilt the game in the Illini's favor.

Don't know if any of you play ESPN's Streak For Cash but right now the people who play it are picking MSU at an 80% clip over Illinois.

Well, just waking up out here on the left coast. Big game today. I am confident that we will rise to the challenge. Unfortunately, can't watch this one live. Have to DVR it and watch it later.

Go Illini! :illinois:

Spartans felt like they were out-toughed last game and plan on trying to rectify this today .....

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c.../michigan-state-illinois-basketball/23823099/

Should be a great game and I hope being home tips the scales in our favor. Unfortunately, I don't think the Illini ever seem to have the home court advantage at AH that other teams seem to have in the league. Maybe Groce needs to pull a Roy Williams and call our fans out? Fear the Paign needs to become a reality once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.