Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan State, Tuesday, February 5th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how a win over Nebraska has people predicting we beat MSU. If this were following a loss, everyone would be saying we lose by 20. I don't think a win is impossible, but if I had to guess we lose by 5-12ish. I'm still excited for this one and have hope we can make it interesting.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_62ac780b-d6ca-580f-9cc4-51f365e0df03.html

“I think we can beat anybody,” sophomore guard Trent Frazier said. “We just have to come out here, execute the plan and play for 40 minutes. I don’t think we care whether they have a number by their team, a ranking. Every team we come out here and play, we’re going to play them they same way we play every other team: Hard.”

I really like the attitude of this team and I suggest you would get the same answer from anyone on the team right now....they have been tested and have come together as a team for the good of the team....this bodes well for retaining the entire roster and adding important pieces for next year....

I think next year we see a dance with our Illini invited and playing well...

Illini 71
msu 70

Deleted member 29907

D
Funny how a win over Nebraska has people predicting we beat MSU. If this were following a loss, everyone would be saying we lose by 20. I don't think a win is impossible, but if I had to guess we lose by 5-12ish. I'm still excited for this one and have hope we can make it interesting.
Not predicting a win, but hey, JG was, what, 3-4 against MSU? Or something like that? And Langford is out. The problem with this team is the inconsistency of course, and the other problem with this game is MSU will be hungry to stop a losing streak.

Goins averaging 9.4 rebounds per game. Hope we have a plan to stop that. DaMonte giving up a lot of size.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Let us beat that Bruce Weber Fan boy coach and all the top100s he brings in to the SFC!

tenor.gif

Well, despite all our struggles recently, we've won 6 of the last 13 v MSU, who's been at the top of the B1G. All time it's MSU 61 Illini 59.

People are rightfully excited that a win doesn't look impossible, that's all. That it follows some fans will optimistically predict a win is expected. :)

I'd need a heavy dose of kool-aid to predict anything close to a win. I like how the team's been improving dramatically, and I think the team we have now would make the dance. However, the realist in me looks at Kenpom, and they're basically 17 point favorites. Anything can happen, and if they're going through a slump and we're better than our season average (which I'm certain is true), it could be close. I do think they're better than Maryland, so it should be at a minimum, a very tough game. Love that we're going into this one with confidence. Should be a great test.

The stats suggest Illinois has been better than Michigan St. over the past three games. I think that's where the optimism comes from. If both teams play as they have recently, it's not unreasonable to expect Illinois has a chance to win.

So if we had guys like Mike Shaw, Langford, Myke Henry and Crandall Head, etc, we'd have a chance?

Obviously not what anyone is suggesting. Someone has put up charts or graphs or something before that show our successful teams vs our crappy teams (maybe they looked at other teams too) but I think it is clear that teams with higher rated players end up being better.

You are going to have outlier teams and/or players all the time, but in general, the rankings give you a good feel of how good players are going to be in college.

Obviously not what anyone is suggesting. Someone has put up charts or graphs or something before that show our successful teams vs our crappy teams (maybe they looked at other teams too) but I think it is clear that teams with higher rated players end up being better.

You are going to have outlier teams and/or players all the time, but in general, the rankings give you a good feel of how good players are going to be in college.

On a side note, how crazy is it that Giorgi is putting up numbers better in college than he did in HS? I mean, our staff should get tons of credit for finding him and developing him, but how does a guy go from what he was to what he is in this amount of time? It is different when a player develops over a few years in college. He has done it in one offseason. Crazy.

Not sure if this has been posted, but this was our last win vs. a top ten team:

Thursday 2/7/2013: Illinois 74, #1 Indiana 72

A weeknight game in early February featuring an Illini team that was 2-7 in the Big Ten. I'd take that result again. :p We actually had three top ten wins that year, including at #10 Gonzaga (85-74) and vs. #8 Ohio State (74-55).

Deleted member 29907

D
Not sure if this has been posted, but this was our last win vs. a top ten team:

Thursday 2/7/2013: Illinois 74, #1 Indiana 72

A weeknight game in early February featuring an Illini team that was 2-7 in the Big Ten. I'd take that result again. :p We actually had three top ten wins that year, including at #10 Gonzaga (85-74) and vs. #8 Ohio State (74-55).
Wasnt the common dominator (sic) in all three of those Brandon Paul - I remember the "call me" Gonzaga sign and of course the pass to Griffey ...

Wasnt the common dominator (sic) in all three of those Brandon Paul - I remember the "call me" Gonzaga sign and of course the pass to Griffey ...

Pretty much ... Brandon was the type of player to me - like Frank Williams and to a lesser extent McCamey - that you can't really appreciate until he is gone. He had some games where he looked like a top ten player in all of college basketball, and he just couldn't replicate it every game. Especially as a native Peorian, I am not talking smack about Frankie, but he was either simply a very good player, or he was ON. Same with Brandon.

On a side note, how crazy is it that Giorgi is putting up numbers better in college than he did in HS? I mean, our staff should get tons of credit for finding him and developing him, but how does a guy go from what he was to what he is in this amount of time? It is different when a player develops over a few years in college. He has done it in one offseason. Crazy.

Alot of credit goes to our staff without a doubt, but Giorgi I believe iirc, was almost an afterthought on his team due to other players and caliber they had. Vladir Manuel was one that I believe and Giorgi imo is way better than him. Of course we had very little to go off of as well from tape etc of Giorgi.

Status
Not open for further replies.