Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan State, Wednesday, March 1st, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

whovous

Washington, DC
Playing at Memorial Coliseum is certainly an advantage for us.

Memorial Coliseum, home of the Chinese Samurai bun.

Aside from those two gaffes, I thought it was a pretty insightful article.

whovous

Washington, DC
I think we CAN win this game. I give it about a 50/50 shot. My 2 big concerns are stopping Bridges and if we go in to one of those horrible offensive funks where we don't score for 5-10 minutes. THAT would probably doom us against MSU.

The Chinese Samurai writer says Bridges often plays poorly on the road.

My version of the offensive funk nightmare has the game opening 10-0 or 15-2 in favor of the Spartans. We've not done that for a while now. Please do not let it happen in Memorial Colisuem.

I liked the article, too.
Author seemed pretty concerned about foul trouble for Ward. Hope we find a way to make that a reality.:illinois:

whovous

Washington, DC
Author seemed pretty concerned about foul trouble for Ward. Hope we find a way to make that a reality.:illinois:

Yeah, he said Ward outplayed Happ, except for all the time spent on the bench with foul trouble.

I would not be surprised to see both teams feeding the post early and often with the goal of getting the other team's center in foul trouble.

There is one prediction that I can make with 100% confidence. Win or lose everyone will still be speculating on the chances of making the tournament

I wish we could, too. One of the things that has hampered our offense in conference play is the inability to get to the FT line. In non conference play we were fairly competent, but in Big Ten play we are next to last in FTA/FGA. And we're not shooting them as well when we do get there. The other thing that's hurt is 3PT%, though that has come around in recent games. :D

All I have to say is if Izzo doesn't want to have to go off on Illinois for firing another coach, he should just give us this one :)

CoalCity

St Paul, MN

Really interesting article from the other side's POV. An Izzo team is always a force to be reckoned with especially in March. Would be a sweet win if we can pull it off. Avoid the first 5 minute disaster that has killed us so many times this year and we've got a shot.

Malcolm needs 13 points in this one to pass Brian Cook for 4th all time in points scored. Malcolm is currently at 1,736. Cook scored 1,748; Dee is #3 with 1,812. If Malcolm averages 17 ppg, he'll pass Dee in five games (MSU, Rutgers, two games in the BTT, then one in either the NCAA or NIT).

The author sure makes them sound suspect, and experiencing growing pains. Makes me think we can win, or at least go down to the wire with them.

I look on the sports app and we are favorite by 2

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Pretty good analysis of UI. Doesn't show much respect for Mav. Make him eat his words Mav.

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
The author sure makes them sound suspect, and experiencing growing pains. Makes me think we can win, or at least go down to the wire with them.

I don't understand this notion that MSU is a really good team coming into CU. They are not.

MSU is a completely different team on the road (poor). This isn't a typical Izzo SR led Valentine/Trice/Dawson or Appling/Payne or Green/Thornton/Wood etc. team rolling into the SFC. This is a injury depleted MSU team that must have all four freshmen play well on the road in Champaign to win. Unlikely.

I understand that Illinois is inconsistent and overall has not been very good this season, but neither has MSU and they are a terrible road team.

Illinois should be a 5-6 pt favorite.

whovous

Washington, DC
My gut tells me somebody wins this game by at least ten points. So far, my gut refuses to disgorge the name of the winner.

I don't understand this notion that MSU is a really good team coming into CU. They are not.

MSU is a completely different team on the road (poor). This isn't a typical Izzo SR led Valentine/Trice/Dawson or Appling/Payne or Green/Thornton/Wood etc. team rolling into the SFC. This is a injury depleted MSU team that must have all four freshmen play well on the road in Champaign to win. Unlikely.

I understand that Illinois is inconsistent and overall has not been very good this season, but neither has MSU and they are a terrible road team.

Illinois should be a 5-6 pt favorite.

Over our last 5 home outings, we are 2-3 with as many 10+ pt losses as 10+ pt wins (2 each, with one 9 point loss) and a negative margin (-8). 4-4 in conference home games on the season with a +7 margin at home over those 8 games. We should not act like we are world beaters at home right now.

Last edited:

brapp33

Normal IL
If anyone is looking to get rid of the toothbrush holder my 7 month year old just popped his first tooth and could use one.

Deleted member 236589

D
Oh, how our view of the world has changed regarding this program. I too am happy that this game means something, but wow....What we consider a "big game" now vs what they were, it's staggering.

A home game against an average to slightly above average Michigan State team, while we're in 9th place, attempting to stay on the bubble to make the NCAA's...This is now a "big" or "huge" game?

This game, when it was "big" or huge", involved two teams ranked in the top 15, there were conference championship ramifications and high tournament seed ramifications involved, in a game nationally televised by ESPN in their primetime slot.

So, while I love the fact that our season isn't dead, I hate the fact that our fan base has defaulted to considering this a big event. For Northwestern, this is a big event. We should win this game at home....We should win the Rutgers game, we should win the 1st game of the BTT....Anything less should be considered disappointing on a team with this many seniors.

That's just my take.

Pretty good analysis of UI. Doesn't show much respect for Mav. Make him eat his words Mav.
I don't think it's inaccurate, though. Mav is effective, efficient, and a potent offensive threat, but smooth is not a word you'd use to describe his game. I say this with nothing but love for the guy, and a heartfelt appreciation of how much he has developed the past two years.

I don't think it's inaccurate, though. Mav is effective, efficient, and a potent offensive threat, but smooth is not a word you'd use to describe his game. I say this with nothing but love for the guy, and a heartfelt appreciation of how much he has developed the past two years.

His postup game is fairly smooth, but that's about it

Status
Not open for further replies.