Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan State, Wednesday, March 1st, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN
Probably the biggest game in 4 years for Illinois?

Hope the crowd is nasty like it used to be. They can will these guys to a win.

That's why you honor your seniors before the game. They get their chance then to have the fans show their appreciation. Game is for winning. get them in at the end.

I think whether we can contain Ward will bee the key to the game, he is a load. He killed Wisconsin

That's why you honor your seniors before the game. They get their chance then to have the fans show their appreciation. Game is for winning. get them in at the end.

I also really dislike having a ceremony before the game. It takes them out of their game mode. Let them focus on the game then do all the senior stuff after.

And as far as Tate and Thorne seeing court time...I'm sure they would be much happier with a win than getting on the court for a couple minutes. Senior night is not about playing for a couple minutes, it is about reflecting on the past 4 (or 6 years) and what you have accomplished. Players understand that.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
would be pretty surprised if the seniors aren't out there to start on senior night with subs in at first dead ball

And as far as Tate and Thorne seeing court time...I'm sure they would be much happier with a win than getting on the court for a couple minutes. Senior night is not about playing for a couple minutes, it is about reflecting on the past 4 (or 6 years) and what you have accomplished. Players understand that.

Yeah, but getting some tick -- we're talking 30 seconds being sufficient, is absolutely something that does and should happen in as many cases as possible. MSU just subbed in a guy who literally could not move because he deserved to have a senior night moment, with fans expressing gratitude for their time at the university, etc. I expect our seniors will get the same.

Yeah, but getting some tick -- we're talking 30 seconds being sufficient, is absolutely something that does and should happen in as many cases as possible. MSU just subbed in a guy who literally could not move because he deserved to have a senior night moment, with fans expressing gratitude for their time at the university, etc. I expect our seniors will get the same.

They did that when the game was out of question. Which is completely fine...and expected.

Nah. The Michigan BTT game 3 years ago and the game @ Purdue 2 years ago were probably bigger. A win in either of those game would have had us dancing. I still have nightmares about that Michigan game. We were one missed floater away from the NCAA tournament. This game against MSU is big as in a win keeps us in contention, but doesn't necessarily get us in like those games would have.

whovous

Washington, DC
Nah. The Michigan BTT game 3 years ago and the game @ Purdue 2 years ago were probably bigger. A win in either of those game would have had us dancing. I still have nightmares about that Michigan game. We were one missed floater away from the NCAA tournament. This game against MSU is big as in a win keeps us in contention, but doesn't necessarily get us in like those games would have.

The Purdue game is the one that makes me lose sleep. We led at the half, then Tate took that inbounds pass and basically stood under the Purdue basket until their PG simply took the ball out of his hands and scored. The Purdue rally started then and never stopped. I still like Tate, but I can never forget that moment.

Oh well, let's beat MSU so we can get one game closer to our next nightmare game:eek:

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Living on the edge is tough, but at least it's worth watching. If you'd asked me three weeks ago, I would've laughed in your face when you told me this game would mean something.

For the first time in months, I have plans to plant my a** in front of a TV to watch a live Illini game start to finish. That's really something. Here's hoping they can make it worthwhile!

Is this a must win for MSU like it is for us?

whovous

Washington, DC
Is this a must win for MSU like it is for us?

MSU in March treats every game as a must win, but they are really just playing for the double bye in the BTT since they are pretty squarely in the Big Dance but have no chance of getting a protected seed.

I think whether we can contain Ward will bee the key to the game, he is a load. He killed Wisconsin

I'm more concerned about Bridges. I don't know who we have that can effectively stop him. Seems like Hill is our best bet, but I'm not confident in that.

Does JG put is in a 2-3 for the entire game? Does he try something crazy like a box-in-1?

I'm far more concerned about our defense in this game than I am our offense.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago

I have to say, the fans on their message boards are much more tolerable than they are in bars around Chicago. Ever sense they got good at football (this year notwithstanding), they've acted like they're god's gift to the B1G.

I like it when MSU is good. But only when Illinois is good. Those mid 2000's Illini/MSU games were special.

Hope the crowd is nasty like it used to be. They can will these guys to a win.

Like a moth to a flame...I can't give up on Illini basketball. I'm stoked for this game. I could not help but think of recent years where we had a big home game late in the season that would have solidified our tournament chances.

2010 - Minnesota (L 62-60); Wisconsin (L 72-57)
2011 - Indiana (W 72-48)
2013 - Nebraska (W 72-65)
2014 - Michigan (L 84 -53)
2015 - Michigan State (L 60-53)

Deleted member 14522

D
I think Nichols may get some opportunity to guard Bridges.

I think Nichols may get some opportunity to guard Bridges.

Bridges is going to throw a major wrench in our rotation. He's been playing a lot of 4 with Ellis at the 3, and I'm not sure Finke/Black can reliably guard either one. Kipper likely stands to be the biggest beneficiary, and will likely be the primary defender for Bridges along with MH.

Status
Not open for further replies.