Pregame: Illinois vs Michigan, Wednesday, December 11th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have not done well against short guards that can hit layups. Michigan has one of the best short PGs who can hit layups. If Ayo wants to be a pro he can't consistently be the 2nd-4th best guard out there. Also would like to see Tevian play, give him hope that he is part of the team. We need his athleticism and talent against P5 teams.

He answered all of the timeout questions and he’s right on the road you lose too much time for the timeout to do you any good but the administrative technical would have been great I would never have thought of that so maybe we all cut him some slack and just see how he handles the rest of the season

Can someone explain how the administrative technical would work? I was under the impression that you lose possession for any technical foul. How would sending them to the line to go up by 2 and then giving them the ball with 2.4 seconds left help us?

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Yup, it's been a brutal decade of fandom....

giphy (4).gif

Can someone explain how the administrative technical would work? I was under the impression that you lose possession for any technical foul. How would sending them to the line to go up by 2 and then giving them the ball with 2.4 seconds left help us?

Administrative tech is 1 FT + Ball.

2 FT Scenario Outcomes:
  1. Down 2, Illini dead ball.
  2. Down 1, Illini dead ball
  3. Down 1, Illini live ball
  4. Down 1, UM live ball
  5. Down 0, Illini dead ball
  6. Down 0, UM live ball
1 FT Scenario Outcomes:
  1. Down 1, UM dead ball
  2. Down 0, UM dead ball
Also, in the 1 FT scenario, the ball is in bounded at location of infraction, not under our basket.

We have no chance to put up points with 2.4 seconds from our end. So you need them to miss both. In the 1FT scenario, miss the only shot and play D. Or, try to steal it at a decent court location for a shot.

Last edited:
Silver lining tonight for our "turnover bug" is that Michigan isn't great at forcing turnovers according to Kenpom (334th in the nation). That said, I think that's a product of the quality of teams the Wolverines have played more than UM's inability to force turnovers and get out in transition. Still, we've been coughing it up at a rate of nearly 15 per game AT HOME, and that's been against competition like Hampton, Lindenwood, etc. No excuses for not taking better care of the basketball on our own floor.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
I am at the point in my life that the time invested in following our teams is a substantial sacrifice, and to that end, I would almost prefer that a team be categorically bad just so I could quit caring so much and take the "ignorance is bliss" approach of a more casual fan (i.e., no "appointment viewing" of games, not caring if I miss a game or two or three or more, and even instances of checking the outcome before making the decision of whether I want to watch a game or just delete it and move on - a hallmark of the later Groce and Beckman eras...) The constant agony, time commitment, and general overall disappointment of the two scenarios you describe are in some ways much worse than just sucking so bad it's impossible to care, though I certainly realize and appreciate that others will feel differently.

But I'd say that the first scenario is worse because there's presumably less basis to hope for improvement.

As the kids say, I feel so seen.

SKane

Tennessee
As a Pirates fan, it hurts when anyone talks about baseball.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I am at the point in my life that the time invested in following our teams is a substantial sacrifice, and to that end, I would almost prefer that a team be categorically bad just so I could quit caring so much and take the "ignorance is bliss" approach of a more casual fan (i.e., no "appointment viewing" of games, not caring if I miss a game or two or three or more, and even instances of checking the outcome before making the decision of whether I want to watch a game or just delete it and move on - a hallmark of the later Groce and Beckman eras...) The constant agony, time commitment, and general overall disappointment of the two scenarios you describe are in some ways much worse than just sucking so bad it's impossible to care, though I certainly realize and appreciate that others will feel differently.

But I'd say that the first scenario is worse because there's presumably less basis to hope for improvement.
I didn't think I could feel worse about being an Illini fan before I read this post. I was wrong.:huh:

The Sprouting Divot

Invisible and Bulletproof
Miracle Mile
Don't get me wrong - I'm more optimistic about both basketball and football right now than I have been in years. I'm just saying that in some ways, for a busy adult with a family, sucking is easier and less painful than striving and failing because it's a lot easier to disengage.

If I traveled back in time and tried to explain this seemingly contradictory (and definitely disappointing - welcome to adulthood...) position to myself 10, 20, or 30 years ago, Young Me would kick Now Me in the nuts, deservedly so.

Fan loyalty only lasts so long though. Enough time passes, and even if the good times return the fans won't.

Hoopster

Peoria, IL in a van down by the river
At least Vegas likes us tonight illini -1

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Man, it's been a long day waiting to watch the beloved Illini get their first B1G conference win ....I don't care how we win, by how much we win or how terrible the refs are( if i see DJ bald head ref is reffing I'm gonna start drinking heavily )
AS LONG AS WE WIN I will be fine with it....

BH9rBpW.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.