Pregame: Illinois vs Minnesota, Wednesday, January 16th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year Jordan Murphy killed us with 17pts/17reb. We'll contain him to 15/15 this time around. Improvement.

Deleted member 29907

D
Last year Jordan Murphy killed us with 17pts/17reb. We'll contain him to 15/15 this time around. Improvement.
And wasn't like his first game back after being out - or he went out right after our game? Some unfortunate timing somehow as i recall...

Deleted member 11241

D
And wasn't like his first game back after being out - or he went out right after our game? Some unfortunate timing somehow as i recall...

I don't remember him being out but I remember Reggie Lynch getting kicked off the team like a week after we played them or something like that

within about a week of our game against them, Lynch was kicked off the team and Coffey had a season ending injury. Worst part is we were in that game up until the final 2-3 minutes or so when Minnesota got an offensive rebound and Mason hit a fade-away 3 in the corner to extend their lead to two possessions (could be wrong but it’s what i am remembering right now). Feels like I’ve heard this story before...

Was confused by his statement on not having a decent big man. Georgi? Not considered big or not considered decent?
I think he was thinking about the defensive side of the ball, but maybe that's just me giving him the benefit of the doubt.

My first thought was "ouch" to Georgi and Trent. However, I really don't think Kendall meant anything negative by it, probably just meant Georgi isn't big enough? Trent has also been off lately ... perfectly possible Kendall doesn't know how good he's been in the past, right?

I do agree with him, though, that if Ayo stays and Kofi can be an instant impact kind of guy, we could see a LOT of improvement pretty quickly next year. Hope so, anyway. :(

We just need to win at least 14 of the next 15 games to find a way on to the bubble, and a BTT win or two would probably put us in. It all starts with this. Let’s just keep climbing Groce’s ladder!

Dan

Admin
Underwood: Minnesota is a little unique in the fact they're very, very big.

Underwood on Ayo's recent stretch: I'd be hard-challenged to find a player in the country that in any aspect of the game is playing better.

Underwood: Both Tevian and Alan have made huge strides defensively... I'm starting to become a big fan of Alan's consistent effort.

Underwood: With Samba, it's tougher for him because he wasn't here (in the summer). There are some situations where I'm more comfortable with Adonis than him.

https://twitter.com/ETFisher24

We just need to win at least 14 of the next 15 games to find a way on to the bubble, and a BTT win or two would probably put us in. It all starts with this. Let’s just keep climbing Groce’s ladder!

Hey man, we played Michigan fairly tough, and they seem to be the CLEAR class of the league (minus Michigan State, whom I sure you were counting as our one loss going forward). Let's do this, Illini fans:

W vs. Minnesota (this one is easy, guys ... piece of cake)
W at Iowa (I'll be there, and I have a winning record in person at CHA)
W vs. Wisconsin (we have to beat them some time ... right? We have lost 13 straight vs. UW, it can't last forever!)
W vs. Maryland in New York, NY (neutral site games used to be our thing, it's time we start that up again)
W at Minnesota (already beat 'em once! Remember when we won like 23 straight vs. them in the mid-2000s?)
W vs. Nebraska (revenge, baby!)
L vs. Michigan State (okay, okay, we come back down to Earth)
W vs. Rutgers (right back off Earth with a nice win over lowly Rutgers!)
W at Ohio State (revenge for the United Center game, baby!)
W at Wisconsin (remember that time that we had won like 2 of 3 in Madison while the rest of the country was like 4 of 100? Gotta channel our history to turn this thing around, plus this is playing to be .500!)
W vs. Penn State (gotta win these types of home games if you're going to be a team that performs miracles)
W at Purdue (why stop now?)
W vs. Northwestern (revenge!!!!)
W vs. Indiana (rivalry game at home, plus our new best friend: revenge, baby!)
W at Penn State (so much will be on the line, and our guys will be FIRED UP!)

That gets us to 18-13 (14-6), if my counting is accurate. At 14-6 in the Big Ten, we will get a great seed, and we will be playing in our backyard and historic stomping grounds, the United Center. This time, we will draw a good following, as used to be our expectation in that sacred building. I am seeing at least two wins in the Big Ten Tournament, so that puts us at 19-13 with an awesome Strength of Schedule and some quality wins at Iowa, vs. Maryland (NYC), vs. Nebraska, at Ohio State, vs. Indiana, etc. It would have been nice to get to 20, but hey - we dug this hole ourselves.

I'll be sweatin' it out on Selection Sunday with the rest of you guys, but look out for the NCAA Tournament lock 2019 Fighting Illini after that wild ride.:cool:

My first thought was "ouch" to Georgi and Trent. However, I really don't think Kendall meant anything negative by it, probably just meant Georgi isn't big enough? Trent has also been off lately ... perfectly possible Kendall doesn't know how good he's been in the past, right?

I do agree with him, though, that if Ayo stays and Kofi can be an instant impact kind of guy, we could see a LOT of improvement pretty quickly next year. Hope so, anyway. :(

I don't recall anything in there that directly (or indirectly) disparaged Trent. I think the issue with a "big man" is that Teske won that battle with Giorgi. He's a try 7-footer playing both the traditional 5 and sinking 3's. Giorgi just isn't as good as him (yet).

I don't recall anything in there that directly (or indirectly) disparaged Trent. I think the issue with a "big man" is that Teske won that battle with Giorgi. He's a try 7-footer playing both the traditional 5 and sinking 3's. Giorgi just isn't as good as him (yet).

I guess I meant Kendall saying Ayo was very clearly our best player as a freshman ... earlier this season, that would have been a ridiculous thing to say with Trent on the roster, so it would probably sting for him to hear.

Will the elevated floor have any effect on our players shooting for some it is the first time playing there?

Will the elevated floor have any effect on our players shooting for some it is the first time playing there?
We seem to miss on our own. But I get a funny feeling about this game.

Deleted member 11241

D

Unless something has changed at the State Farm Center in the past week, pretty sure our court is lying directly on the floor

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Hey man, we played Michigan fairly tough, and they seem to be the CLEAR class of the league (minus Michigan State, whom I sure you were counting as our one loss going forward). Let's do this, Illini fans:

W vs. Wisconsin (we have to beat them some time ... right? We have lost 13 straight vs. UW, it can't last forever!)
W vs. Maryland in New York, NY (neutral site games used to be our thing, it's time we start that up again)
W at Minnesota (already beat 'em once! Remember when we won like 23 straight vs. them in the mid-2000s?)
W at Wisconsin (remember that time that we had won like 2 of 3 in Madison while the rest of the country was like 4 of 100? Gotta channel our history to turn this thing around, plus this is playing to be .500!)
W vs. Penn State (gotta win these types of home games if you're going to be a team that performs miracles)

That gets us to 18-13 (14-6), if my counting is accurate. At 14-6 in the Big Ten, we will get a great seed, and we will be playing in our backyard and historic stomping grounds, the United Center. This time, we will draw a good following, as used to be our expectation in that sacred building. I am seeing at least two wins in the Big Ten Tournament, so that puts us at 19-13 with an awesome Strength of Schedule and some quality wins at Iowa, vs. Maryland (NYC), vs. Nebraska, at Ohio State, vs. Indiana, etc. It would have been nice to get to 20, but hey - we dug this hole ourselves.

I'll be sweatin' it out on Selection Sunday with the rest of you guys, but look out for the NCAA Tournament lock 2019 Fighting Illini after that wild ride.:cool:

tenor.gif

If you are familiar with the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, there is a constantly expanding number of universes. In one of these universes the Illini will go on a 14-1 tear to finish the regular season. I have no idea how we get into that universe, however. If there is anyone in the Physics department who has any ideas, please let the rest of us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.