Pregame: Illinois vs Minnesota, Wednesday, January 16th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the improvement in Ayo with playing time. Remember when Nunn and Hill got playing time as a freshman once Groce gave up on the season and the improvement they showed? I think at this point there is actually a pretty good argument for playing the freshmen. They game doesn't slow down for you while sitting on the bench.

There is flaw in your logic. Did they get more playing time because they had improved to the point where they could play more or did they improve because they had more playing time? I would tend to think that they improved to the point where they could handle more time. I saw Nunn play against Wisconsin as a freshman. His defense was bad as they were going right past him. You cannot just let them play and expect that they will suddenly get it during the game. I believe they first have to demonstrate in practice that they can handle both the offensive and defensive schemes. Then allow them to have game time. When they fail in the game you have to cut the time back until they are competitive. It would do the team nor the player any good to look terrible in games in full view of the world. Not a way to build a winning attitude or bolster the confidence of a young freshman.

I don't think one can underestimate the value of the return of the Orange Krush.

Status
Not open for further replies.