Pregame: Illinois vs Missouri, Saturday, December 21st, 12:00pm CT, SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like every Illinois fan has a different "most hated rival" based on where they grew up, when they went to the school, what sport they prefer, and when they became Illini fans. For example, being from the Quad Cities and being in Champaign when Bruce F***ing Pearl was at Illinois messing with Deon, I hate those Idiots Out Wandering Around more than anyone else.

Others will tell you Miznoz is our biggest rival. Others will say NW or Purdue or Indiana... Would be nice if we could just all settle on hating Indiana more than anyone else.

FIFY

It seems like every Illinois fan has a different "most hated rival" based on where they grew up, when they went to the school, what sport they prefer, and when they became Illini fans. For example, being from the Quad Cities and being in Champaign when Bruce F***ing Pearl was at Illinois messing with Deon, I hate those Idiots Out Wandering Around more than anyone else.

Others will tell you Miznoz is our biggest rival. Others will say NW or Purdue or Indiana... Would be nice if we could just all settle on hating Iowa more than anyone else.
I grew up in Metro East back before anyone called it that, and I rate Mizzou as one I very much want to win. What makes it worse is a lot of my classmates have grandchildren born and raised in Missouri...and I have two nieces and a nephew who went to school at Columbia. So there are my classmates who root for Mizzou. And THAT kind of disloyalty deserves to be appropriately rewarded.

That said, my increased awareness of Northwestern after arriving in Champaign and thereafter, those snotty-nosed private school twits, they don’t deserve to win over the state’s flagship university.

Others will tell you Miznoz is our biggest rival. Others will say NW or Purdue or Indiana... Would be nice if we could just all settle on hating Iowa more than anyone else.

I'm with you. Iowa is the most hated for me, by far!

The concensus on Tigerboard is that MS and Tilman must have very good games for them to win and there is some koolaid but that board is not really confident of a victory. One poster just said "Our front line (Mizzou) doesn't look anything like their dudes".

AFTER READING THIS MESSAGE BOARD, IT REMINDED ME OF THE PRE MIAMI GAME AND WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT TURNED OUT! ANY TEAM IS CAPABLE OF BEATING ANOTHER AT THIS LEVEL AND STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN AT THE BORDER BATTLES GAMES. I FEEL THAT THIS ILLINI TEAM CAN BE GREAT BY THE END OF THE SEASON IF IT PLAYS HARD EVERY GAME. PLAY HARD AND WIN FOR IT CAN BECOME CONTAGIOUS. GO ILLINI
Wait! I need to put my earplugs in before I read this...... Okay.... that's better.... :ROFLMAO:

Side note, isn't if funny how when people do the all caps thing that it automatically amplifies inside your brain, to the point even that's it's discomforting??? Silly as that sounds, it's true! LOL

Last edited:
Wait! I need to put my earplugs in before I read this...... Okay.... that's better.... :ROFLMAO:

Side note, isn't if funny how when people do the all caps thing that it automatically amplifies inside your brain, to the point even that's it's discomforting??? Silly as that sounds, it's true! LOL

I just think it is harder to read, BUT MAYBE THAT IS JUST ME.

That's a serious handicap, I trust you're completely healed by now?
Yea...grew up in border town at time...and admittedly my loyalty was divided until I became older and wiser. A friend who did his undergrad at U of I and went to med school at Iowa, remains divided... "not healed"

Last edited:
We all have embarrassing things about ourselves that are just better left in the dark. You may feel as if you've gotten it off your chest but it just makes everyone else uncomfortable. :(
After I got to U of I, always wondered if UofI tried to recruit Ronnie Lester ? (He was from Chicago/Dunbar). The other dark side pertinent to this thread....my wife is a Mizzou grad.

After I got to U of I, always wondered if UofI tried to recruit Ronnie Lester ? (He was from Chicago/Dunbar). The other dark side pertinent to this thread....my wife is a Mizzou grad.
Are you getting professional help. May be too late.

Looking at the stats, this team looks like scoring can come from a multiple number of people: Mark Smith, Javon Pickett, Jeremiah T., Dru Smith, etc. Fairly balanced scoring, but when they lose, it's usually when Mark and Jeremiah have bad games. That's where I think the D needs to be and I believe Kofi can keep Jeremiah busy. Sure it's a talented Jr against a larger Freshman, but I believe Kofi can handle him down low. I do wonder who is best poised to go against Mark. While Trent is the lockdown defender, his size still makes me pause against what I'm assuming is a much larger/stronger body type. Ayo or Feliz would be my picks there. Overall I like our match-ups, but I think they're like us where even if you maybe key on Ayo, someone else can pick up the slack to a degree...can't wait!

While stationed at Scott AFB (outside STL) in the early 80's, I became a fan of Jon Sunvold and Steve Stipanovich. So I can't drum up a bunch of "hate" for Mizzou. Living in Ohio now, I use all my "hate" on Ohio St!

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
Nonsense, it was a prime event for years and sold out just a few years ago.

I was really hoping Clownzo would be able to make Missouri interesting on a longer-term basis so this rivalry could regain some juice, but it seems the hype that surrounded the game back in 2017 is going to be a one-time thing.

I was really hoping Clownzo would be able to make Missouri interesting on a longer-term basis so this rivalry could regain some juice, but it seems the hype that surrounded the game back in 2017 is going to be a one-time thing.

I just want them to remain as stupidly infatuated with the Clown as they were when the hired him. He is great for us long term.

Soulberries

University of Illinois

For me, my most "hated" rival is Indiana. I will cheer for most B1G teams, as long as they are not playing Illinois, EXCEPT for Indiana. (For football, it's Michigan).

The game that I get the most excited for each year is the Border War game with Miznoz. I really don't pay much attention to them the rest of the year, except in recruiting battles.

The coach that I absolutely despise is Bruce Pearl, Satan himself. That dislike doesn't carry over to Iowa nearly as much, though I hardly feel warm and fuzzy about them. It always feels good to beat them. If Iowa and Auburn were playing, I'm loudly cheering for Iowa, as my favorite is always whoever Bruce Pearl's team is playing.

Last edited:
Shoot, I just realized this is on the SEC Network and I don't have the SEC Network (like I'm going to give that conference a single penny). So my choices for a free trial appear to be AT&T TV Now, YouTube TV and Hulu +Live TV. I already used YouTube TV for the UConn football game, can I use another email account? Or does anyone know if any of these other services are as easy to cancel? (YouTube TV was a very simple online process.)
FUBU streaming billed my credit card after I canceled. They are extremely difficult to contact. Had to contact Visa and contest the charge, it is still pending 60 days latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.