Pregame: Illinois vs Missouri, Saturday, December 21st, 12:00pm CT, SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Whosiers loss is almost as good as an Illini win, not as good, of course, but very close. I dislike Duke intensely, but still respect what Krzyzewki does, No respect for Indiana. :)

A Whosiers loss is almost as good as an Illini win, not as good, of course, but very close. I dislike Duke intensely, but still respect what Krzyzewki does, No respect for Indiana. :)
Have you forgotten coach K is a Booby Knight disciple? Same obscene vocabulary and ethics.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Also, if you have been beaten like a red-headed stepchild for four decades by the same opponent before Christmas, the best self-preservation move is to care less. Lol, I have seen Mizzou fans on their message boards claim that we have beaten them over the years because their players don't care enough about the rivalry, and our effort is always better ... it couldn't possibly be because we have been an immeasurably better program since this game's inception, even with our post-2009 drought. Then again, that wouldn't explain their pathetic obsession with Kansas, a program that has beaten them so often to the point of it being a joke and a fan base that wants nothing to do with playing them. Speaking of message boards...

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/list.php?board=1

... I HAVE to be missing something here. I know someone asks this every year, but why is this message board's format literally the stuff of nightmares?! What kind of monster put this together, and why does he or she insist on keeping it this way? This is the most Missouri-lookin' thing I have ever seen.
I tried to look through that. I love the posts that call GB "the russian kid"

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The game is at noon, so there's only so much pre-game you can fit in.

giphy.gif

FUBU streaming billed my credit card after I canceled. They are extremely difficult to contact. Had to contact Visa and contest the charge, it is still pending 60 days latter.
Wow, 60 days is a long time for something like that to not be resolved. Although Fubo TV doesn't offer the SEC Network (or even ESPN), that is the type of insight I was looking for with the other providers. YouTube TV was very easy to sign up and cancel. And while not a streaming service, XFinity makes you call to cancel, although you can sign up online.

One thing I've come to realize is that the streaming world for live sports isn't as big as I thought.

AFTER READING THIS MESSAGE BOARD, IT REMINDED ME OF THE PRE MIAMI GAME AND WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT TURNED OUT! ANY TEAM IS CAPABLE OF BEATING ANOTHER AT THIS LEVEL AND STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN AT THE BORDER BATTLES GAMES. I FEEL THAT THIS ILLINI TEAM CAN BE GREAT BY THE END OF THE SEASON IF IT PLAYS HARD EVERY GAME. PLAY HARD AND WIN FOR IT CAN BECOME CONTAGIOUS. GO ILLINI
2BF9E590-5B83-46E1-952B-E38E32CF3B72.gif

sacraig

The desert
Sadly, I am going to be on a flight during the game because of the fact that it is at such a flipping terrible time. Hopefully I land to some good news.

Missouri is not a good basketball team this year. If we play our game like we know we can (Michigan, 35ish minutes of Maryland, first half of Arizona) then we ought to beat them by 20. But, as we all know, consistency has not been our MO for a long time.

sacraig

The desert
AFTER READING THIS MESSAGE BOARD, IT REMINDED ME OF THE PRE MIAMI GAME AND WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT TURNED OUT! ANY TEAM IS CAPABLE OF BEATING ANOTHER AT THIS LEVEL AND STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN AT THE BORDER BATTLES GAMES. I FEEL THAT THIS ILLINI TEAM CAN BE GREAT BY THE END OF THE SEASON IF IT PLAYS HARD EVERY GAME. PLAY HARD AND WIN FOR IT CAN BECOME CONTAGIOUS. GO ILLINI

giphy.gif

RE: the rivalry question, it also deeply depends on WHEN you grew into your Illini fanhood. My family moved from Peoria to Iowa City when I was young and raised my sister and me to be huge Illini fans in a sea of Hawkeyes fans, and I still never grew up with an overly specific hatred of Iowa in basketball ... why? Because they sucked, lol. Growing up (I was lucky enough for my formative years to be 2001-2006 ... yeah), I always considered MSU and Wisconsin to be our main "on-the-court" rivalries, as we kind of constituted a "Big Three" in the B1G during that time. I knew there was history between Indiana and Iowa, and I loved the Missouri game in St. Louis. As I have gotten older, I settled in on Indiana being our biggest rival with Missouri second and the potential being there for things to intensify quickly with Iowa or Wisconsin if we were both good at the same time. I'm honestly surprised Wisconsin was never bigger considering the usual Bears-Packers connection and the fact that our "Big-Ten-designated-'rivals'" of Minnesota and Northwestern both usually suck. ASSUMING WE HAVE A GOOD PROGRAM (as we did during the 2000s), I think the only teams that would rank US in their top three rivalries are:

Indiana: behind Purdue and Kentucky
Iowa: behind Iowa State and Wisconsin
Northwestern: almost certainly first
Missouri: after Kansas and maybe Arkansas if that develops into something big

I think those four would be the first place answer for about 90% of Illini fans.

I just want them to remain as stupidly infatuated with the Clown as they were when the hired him. He is great for us long term.
I have to admit, I was beating the Cuonzo drum until I watched his talented Cal teams play. That offense, if you want to call it that, was even less focused and hard to understand than Groce's offense. I was out after that. I agree, I hope Mizzou hangs onto him.

RE: the rivalry question, it also deeply depends on WHEN you grew into your Illini fanhood. My family moved from Peoria to Iowa City when I was young and raised my sister and me to be huge Illini fans in a sea of Hawkeyes fans, and I still never grew up with an overly specific hatred of Iowa in basketball ... why? Because they sucked, lol. Growing up (I was lucky enough for my formative years to be 2001-2006 ... yeah), I always considered MSU and Wisconsin to be our main "on-the-court" rivalries, as we kind of constituted a "Big Three" in the B1G during that time. I knew there was history between Indiana and Iowa, and I loved the Missouri game in St. Louis. As I have gotten older, I settled in on Indiana being our biggest rival with Missouri second and the potential being there for things to intensify quickly with Iowa or Wisconsin if we were both good at the same time. I'm honestly surprised Wisconsin was never bigger considering the usual Bears-Packers connection and the fact that our "Big-Ten-designated-'rivals'" of Minnesota and Northwestern both usually suck. ASSUMING WE HAVE A GOOD PROGRAM (as we did during the 2000s), I think the only teams that would rank US in their top three rivalries are:

Indiana: behind Purdue and Kentucky
Iowa: behind Iowa State and Wisconsin
Northwestern: almost certainly first
Missouri: after Kansas and maybe Arkansas if that develops into something big

I think those four would be the first place answer for about 90% of Illini fans.

I went to this game as an orange krusher back in the mid nineties. We lost & hated em since. The environment blew me away. It was a packed house rocking way more than the assembly hall ever did. Ever since I went, this game has really meant something to me. Unfortunately for the last few years, and once again this year, I'm stuck at the in-laws for family x-mas. They'll still put the game on for me, but it just ain't the same when I can't jump up and down, pace the floor and scream at the TV.

I have to admit, I was beating the Cuonzo drum until I watched his talented Cal teams play. That offense, if you want to call it that, was even less focused and hard to understand than Groce's offense. I was out after that. I agree, I hope Mizzou hangs onto him.

Slowly but surely that fanbase is coming to the realization that CM is not the answer but that they are for financial reasons stuck with him at least thru 2021. No player development, uninspiring offense, etc. They don't believe that he is capable of taking them to the top qtr of the SEC.

Tigerboard is very subdued for this time of year.

Shoot, I just realized this is on the SEC Network and I don't have the SEC Network (like I'm going to give that conference a single penny). So my choices for a free trial appear to be AT&T TV Now, YouTube TV and Hulu +Live TV. I already used YouTube TV for the UConn football game, can I use another email account? Or does anyone know if any of these other services are as easy to cancel? (YouTube TV was a very simple online process.)
I believe the SEC network is part of the ESPN family, so if you have access to ESPN3 you'll likely be able to pick it up there.

I went to this game as an orange krusher back in the mid nineties. We lost & hated em since. The environment blew me away. It was a packed house rocking way more than the assembly hall ever did. Ever since I went, this game has really meant something to me. Unfortunately for the last few years, and once again this year, I'm stuck at the in-laws for family x-mas. They'll still put the game on for me, but it just ain't the same when I can't jump up and down, pace the floor and scream at the TV.
You have my permission to go ahead and do it this year. :giggle:

The game is at noon, so there's only so much pre-game you can fit in. But the answer is either Maggie O'Brien's, Paddy O's, or Ballpark Village.
If your pre-game tends toward coffee at that hour, be sure to go to Shaw's Coffee on the Hill. Best place in town and the owner (my sister) is a fellow Illini!

Soulberries

University of Illinois
I believe the SEC network is part of the ESPN family, so if you have access to ESPN3 you'll likely be able to pick it up there.

From what I heard, I don't think so. This from the ESPN website:

Is the SEC Network available via the ESPN app?
Yes! Access to the SEC Network requires a video subscription from an affiliated TV provider. Click here for a complete listing of SEC Network related FAQs

and this...

Will I have access to the same networks on the ESPN app or ESPN.com if I log in away from home?
Yes. Once you log in to the ESPN app or ESPN.com or any OTT device, click on any event and enter your credentials used for your TV service provider. You will have access to the same channels you see on your TV. Note, ESPN+ is a direct to consumer product and requires a separate subscription and log in with ESPN.com credentials.

I also read somewhere that another user who didn't get the SEC network through their provider got a message saying the game was not available to them.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for dinner downtown on Friday night?

Lived downtown St. Louis this summer and its definitely mostly dead unless you want to feel like a tourist. Delmar Loop is 15-20 minutes from downtown and has some great food and there’s normally people there with more to see and do. A favorite on Delmar is Salt & Smoke - outstanding barbecue and cool vibe

We should have a good advantage on the boards. Mizzou doesn't rebound well, and by the numbers their best rebounder is...Mark Smith. Tilmon is averaging only 4.7 a game.

Also, perusing the Tigerboard earlier and I found this gem of a take:

"Kofl is big but very slow and if Timon stays composed and smart I think Tilmon will get him in foul trouble .....

The rest of that foolishness was there last season and still that the SAME FOOLISHNESS!

And an a -shole for a coach and his staff
. "

Love it.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
We should have a good advantage on the boards. Mizzou doesn't rebound well, and by the numbers their best rebounder is...Mark Smith. Tilmon is averaging only 4.7 a game.

Also, perusing the Tigerboard earlier and I found this gem of a take:

"Kofl is big but very slow and if Timon stays composed and smart I think Tilmon will get him in foul trouble .....

The rest of that foolishness was there last season and still that the SAME FOOLISHNESS!

And an a -shole for a coach and his staff
. "

Love it.

So MS (or his parents) make a habit of posting on Tigerboard, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.