Not open for further replies.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
It's called Heart.

4K2N.gif

Deleted member 236589

D
It's called Heart.
And how do you measure that? Does somebody who works harder literally have a bigger heart than the person who doesn't work as hard? So, someone with an enlarged heart is born a harder worker than others?

Deleted member 746094

D
It's called Heart.

This is where I insert gif of Gene Hackman in The Replacements if I knew how. “Heart! Gotta have heart!”

Once again, heart falls in line with desire, passion, will to win, etc. None of these are measurable and cliches WAY over used in sports. Case in point why advanced metrics have taken over collegiate and professionals sports. Heart itself doesn’t win...ever! Talent, execution and discipline win out most often. I agree that the intangibles are important to success, but there are a lot of individuals and teams that have beaten their opponents because they are just better or out performed them.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Talk nice all you want but I DEFINITELY WANT TO DESTROY THESE BUMS !!!!!!

Illini 91
misery 71

Make it a HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT Illini and krush the tiggers....

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
Yeah, I definitely think Cuonzo is behind a lot of the recent animosity. That whole thing about turning down the Illini job before taking the Miznoz one was a slime ball move.

I still hated Miznoz when Kim Anderson was there...but I don’t think quite as much.

He didnt turn it down. He was never offered.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I dont think you can measure it. But its engrained in all of us. Even in fans. I know people who are much more emotionally effected by the outcome of their favorite teams games than others. I dont have a bad day the next day when the Illini lose but I have a friend that is really bummed and in a completely different mood given the outcome of a Cubs game. Some kids play with adrenaline and extreme focus under the bright lights and some shell up. Cant be explained or measured but it exists. Not sure if you have ever been in a heated matchup in any sport if you really need to ask the question you asked. You know when you are facing a tough opponent and you have finally broken their spirit. You can see it in their eyes and body language. That is what heart is my friend. The one that wins that battle has the most heart THAT DAY. The glorious thing about sports. And players that win those battles on a constant basis (Michael Jordan)and refuse to lose have the most heart.

Sorry if this has been discussed in this or another thread, but has anybody commented on the fact that this game is on BTN? Does anybody else find this unacceptable? Has the Braggin' Rights game ever been on BTN? Hasn't it always been on an ESPN channel? If I were a Missouri fan I would be pretty pissed (OK, not that I care about Missouri fans). I guess this is the result of the game really not having any national relevance anymore. I guess I should just be glad that it's on a channel I have on my cable service. Both of these schools need to get off their asses and get their basketball programs back in national prominence. Enough already. This game needs to be on ESPN, like it was when I was fresh out of school.

Actually its more of a matchup zone. He has to do that to keep Tilmon and others out of foul trouble. According to the Mizzou announcers, Mizzou has trouble with the 1-2-2 press. I did notice when they did get through it, they found Smith who seems to camp out in the corners. Mizzou doesn't move fluidly on offense but is deliberate. I think Illini will fluster this team early but have to play an entire forty minutes.
Last year....MS was very effective from the left corner for us. I think he will hurt us if we dont defend that corner.

This is where I insert gif of Gene Hackman in The Replacements if I knew how. “Heart! Gotta have heart!”

Once again, heart falls in line with desire, passion, will to win, etc. None of these are measurable and cliches WAY over used in sports. Case in point why advanced metrics have taken over collegiate and professionals sports. Heart itself doesn’t win...ever! Talent, execution and discipline win out most often. I agree that the intangibles are important to success, but there are a lot of individuals and teams that have beaten their opponents because they are just better or out performed them.
Talent without Heart is wasted talent.

Sorry if this has been discussed in this or another thread, but has anybody commented on the fact that this game is on BTN? Does anybody else find this unacceptable? Has the Braggin' Rights game ever been on BTN? Hasn't it always been on an ESPN channel? If I were a Missouri fan I would be pretty pissed (OK, not that I care about Missouri fans). I guess this is the result of the game really not having any national relevance anymore. I guess I should just be glad that it's on a channel I have on my cable service. Both of these schools need to get off their asses and get their basketball programs back in national prominence. Enough already. This game needs to be on ESPN, like it was when I was fresh out of school.
Agreed

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_f2392cb5-b8af-53f6-906c-afff6bdecbc6.html

Smith’s father is appreciative of grace among rivals. He can handle the boos.
“The University of Illinois was great with the whole deal,” Anthony Smith said. “Now, the fans? They’re going to be brutal. But, hey, they’re fans. They’re gonna cheer for their team. It’s going to be a great atmosphere.”

It's going to be a great and HOSTILE environment daddy Smith and I don't think Marky Mark will be able to handle it....

GO ILLINI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_c6653ba8-aa64-578a-9360-1666f52dd894.html

For all the ancillary plot lines that make this matchup especially unique — we’ll get to those — nothing is more important for the Tigers than hanging on to the ball. Mizzou has turned the ball over 10 times or more in all but one game this season and ranks No. 246 in turnover rate. For a team that plays at one of the nation’s slowest paces, each possession is a precious commodity. Giving them away for free can be fatal.

He didnt turn it down. He was never offered.

"Offer" is a flexible word. He was likely approached about the job, whether or not it was direct, and whether or not we were seriously interested. There were certainly people on this board that wanted him, although I think the consensus was that his ability to land talent was well past his ability to coach it. Personally, I wasn't a fan, but there's no doubt he can recruit.

I think this is the most overrated/overused phrase in athletics. Talent and execution win 99% of the time in sports. How do you measure the desire to win?

You play a basketball game. After the game is over, you say the winner wanted it more. Done.

"Offer" is a flexible word. He was likely approached about the job, whether or not it was direct, and whether or not we were seriously interested. There were certainly people on this board that wanted him, although I think the consensus was that his ability to land talent was well past his ability to coach it. Personally, I wasn't a fan, but there's no doubt he can recruit.

Without hiring assistants?

Do they though? Georgetown matched our speed, Iowa St matched our speed, Xavier matched our speed. And they all did it better than us.

We committed too many fouls. Slows down the game and skews the stats on speed. The first half of the last game is how we need to play: close to 0 fouls and a 25 pt lead at the half.

If I heard BU right, we have had multiple games where we scored 40+ points under 7 secs. When we foul that 7 sec stat pretty much goes out of the window.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.