Pregame: Illinois vs Missouri, Saturday, December 23rd, 7:00pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Agreed, but unfortunately the TO goes to the passer, however, in Finke's case he didn't come to meet the ball either time. Something that is very coachable. OTOH, our guards do some lazy and telegraphed passing.

Agreed. Lazy passes. Finke could have bailed out the passer if he would have moved...a modest amount effort moving towards the ball may not have stopped the TO, but it would have at least stopped the fast break.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
BlchgIcCYAI5e2v.jpg

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
It'll be interesting. First time Underwood has really had time between opponents to plan and practice with the team. Will this lead to intensity or a flat team again

It'll be interesting. First time Underwood has really had time between opponents to plan and practice with the team. Will this lead to intensity or a flat team again

A lot of these kids (on both sides) understand the kind of game this is.

If we come out flat, I dont know how you motivate someone given the circumstance.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal

I don't know that I've ever seen either team come out flat in this game. Sloppy? Sure, but not flat. It's just very difficult to not get caught up in that environment.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Color me optimistic, but after a week of practice I'll give the edge to BU over Cuonzo.

11mug1.jpg

My two favorite Braggin Rights memories (I've been watching since 2001):

2005: Never had more fun watching a beatdown in my life. They showed it at the Virginia Theatre and my dad took me. At the end of the first half we were up big but on the way to the locker room Dee was giving the young guys on the team an ANGRY sermon about not letting up.

2007: Ugly game and we were trash that year but when it became clear we were going to pull it out, the Illini contingent starting chanting "BCS! BCS! BCS!" (we backed into the Rose Bowl at 9-3 while Miznoz got shipped off to the Cotton Bowl at 11-2).

Backed into the Rose Bowl? Not sure how you get there since our last game during the regular season was a win at Columbus.

Not directly related to this game, but I came to a conclusion this morning. My Iowa buddy was asking my plans this weekend, and I said that I had my Illini ugly sweater ready to go for a party/bar crawl we're having Saturday night, because I wanted to make sure to catch Illinois' rivalry game with Mizzou. He had never heard of Braggin' Rights and was asking about it, and he was actually kind of blown away after I explained the idea, the Christmas-like theme, showed a highlight or two and capped it off with this picture:

23_spor_UI_MO_BKC_dh1_1.JPG

I came to the conclusion that this might be the most underrated atmosphere in all of sports ... at LEAST in college basketball.

Not directly related to this game, but I came to a conclusion this morning. My Iowa buddy was asking my plans this weekend, and I said that I had my Illini ugly sweater ready to go for a party/bar crawl we're having Saturday night, because I wanted to make sure to catch Illinois' rivalry game with Mizzou. He had never heard of Braggin' Rights and was asking about it, and he was actually kind of blown away after I explained the idea, the Christmas-like theme, showed a highlight or two and capped it off with this picture:

I came to the conclusion that this might be the most underrated atmosphere in all of sports ... at LEAST in college basketball.

It's still the loudest environment I've been in. That list would also include Death Valley at LSU, Allen Fieldhouse at KU, Cardinals playoff games, Portland Trailblazer playoff games, March Madness games and Seattle Sounders games. This Saturday is going to be wild!

Looking at the picture in your post, it made me realize that I wanted to point out to non-blues fans that this will be the first year the Braggin' Rights game is played with the brand new huge scoreboard. It makes for much improved video replay.

Attachments

• scoreboard.jpg
    scoreboard.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
I didn't hate the manbun but I think he looks a lot better now. Much more together.

And good on him for donating the cutoffs!

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Backed into the Rose Bowl? Not sure how you get there since our last game during the regular season was a win at Columbus.

Our last game of the regular season that year was a win over Northwestern in Champaign. I say "backed into" because we didn't win the conference, and were selected over higher-ranked teams (perhaps most notably Mizzou) to play USC in order to continue the Big 10/Pac 10 tradition. I'm certainly not complaining, I think it was justice for getting shipped off to the Sugar Bowl in 2002.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]z9cLC7mBCbM[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]JKWsjUoLBFw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]IfO6Z8G-fUA[/YOUTUBE]

Dan

Admin
Just got confirmation the @IlliniMBB @MizzouHoops Braggin' Rights game on Saturday night in SOLD OUT. It's the first sellout since 2013 for the annual game in St. Louis.
https://twitter.com/WCIA3Bret/status/943949461201539072

Game Notes
ESPN2: Jordan Benrfield & Tom Crean
http://www.fightingillini.com/news/...nois-vs-missouri-in-st-louis.aspx?path=mbball

Underwood: Time of year where it gets to be very challenging for our student-athletes with finals. Spent just as much time with academic support last few days.

Underwood: Tried to show our guys a lot of film. Felt that the 1st half on Saturday was the worst half we've played all our. 4 pages full of defensive notes.

Underwood: I coach basketball for games like this (Braggin' Rights). Want to recruit players that want to be in games like this. I love rivalries. This is a great one.

Underwood: We get a very good Mizzou team. Cuonzo has done a great job. Getting Jontay Porter to come out of HS early.. He's a pro. Tilmon is a pro.

Underwood: Watched them at length against my former team the other night. Shoot nearly half their shots from three. Really good on the glass.

Underwood: I don't think Illinois fans have a real love affair for Missouri fans.

Underwood: I've always watched that game. Grown to have an unbelievable appreciation for the games and players over the years.

Underwood: Really nice to focus on ourselves this week. We've cleaned a lot of things up.

Underwood: We haven't added anything. Just working on the little things. We had bigs wide open under the basket. We missed 11 layups on Saturday.

Underwood: Leading is hard.. It's gotta be about nothing other than winning. Te'Jon is trying like crazy. Can't be selective.

Underwood: Talk more about late-game scenarios now. Focus on it every day and every pregame. But more now. Can't have fear.

Underwood: There was one guy I was going to have take the shot to tie the game on Saturday... And that was Trent. He has that swagger to hit that shot.

Underwood: Freshmen aren't freshmen anymore. It's time to grow up.

Underwood: Tilmon is an elite runner, hands, catches everything.. You have to do stuff that's elite to make the NBA level. He does that.

Underwood on Tilmon: We were obviously excited about his possibilities. If he wasn't both feet in on helping Illinois win, he should go somewhere else. I haven't lost sleep on it.

Underwood: Look forward to talking Jeremiah before the game. Was a nice young man. Not going to be at Mizzou very long.. Will have some decisions to make in the spring.

Underwood: I don't put a whole lot of stock into the recruiting rivalry. Recruiting is about want and need. They'll probably host a bunch of guys that we're recruiting. Would be the same the other way around. But I'm focused on the guys wearing our jersey that night.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247

Smith is very underutilized in the offense and sometimes the offense struggles due to the ball being primarily in TJLs hands

Smith is still kind of raw right now. He has the potential to be great at everything, but right now he is consistent at almost nothing. At least with TJL you know what you're going to get. When it's working, great. When it's not, we have Frazier who can give us a boost.

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
I don't know that I've ever seen either team come out flat in this game. Sloppy? Sure, but not flat. It's just very difficult to not get caught up in that environment.

Agreed. Playing bad or playing sloppy is not the same as coming out flat. I don't remember ever thinking that either team came out flat in this series.

The pace is going to be really interesting in this one. Mizzou plays pretty slow according to KenPom (301st), while we're more uptempo obviously (36th). Will Cuonzo try to take the air out of the ball? Or can we speed them up?

Another interesting stat from KenPom is that we are ranked 328th in luck. Maybe someone can help me out....but I think this basically means that based on our stats, we should have a better record than we actually do. True or na?

Status
Not open for further replies.