Pregame: Illinois vs Nebraska, Monday, February 24th, 7:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game just got a bit bigger to get a top 4 seed
Rutgers looks like they are gonna lose at home and will fall behind us in the loss column.. That loss really helps us if we can finish out on a good note! MSU and Rutgers are at a disadvantage schedule wise to finish above us if we play these last games like we can. Wisconsin likely has the most favorable schedule of those tied for third.We still arent out of this for a strong finish and a bye. Even Maryland could lose a few with the brutal 3 road games they have and home vs MSU and Maryland. Let's win em all!
According to torvik, Maryland has the most difficult schedule to finish conference play. We finish 5-0 we have a chance to get a share of the conference title. Maryland has MSU and MIch at home, and OSU, Minn and Rutgers on the road. It is an outside chance but a chance if Maryland finishes 2-3 and PSU loses at least 1 (they are actually favored in all 5 games; Iowa on the road looks to be their toughest game). We are at least in a decent position to be a top 4 seed in the BTT.

I like the optimism. Still suspect we'll lose at least one, maybe two more. @OSU is likely a loss with them playing well as of late. I give us about a 40% chance of winning that one. We'll be favored in the other four, but I won't be shocked if we lay an egg in one of those games. Gotta avoid losses to NW/Nebraska though. 4-1 is a good realistic goal in our remaining games but 5-0 is not impossible. 3-2 would be a bit disappointing but we'd still easily make the tourney. Just keep the momentum going!
@PSU was likely a loss...

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
According to torvik, Maryland has the most difficult schedule to finish conference play. We finish 5-0 we have a chance to get a share of the conference title. Maryland has MSU and MIch at home, and OSU, Minn and Rutgers on the road. It is an outside chance but a chance if Maryland finishes 2-3 and PSU loses at least 1 (they are actually favored in all 5 games; Iowa on the road looks to be their toughest game). We are at least in a decent position to be a top 4 seed in the BTT.
I agree. My "math" is identical to yours.

A title share would be sweet, but a top 4 double bye is golden, especially because anyone can beat you on a given day.

I like the optimism. Still suspect we'll lose at least one, maybe two more. @OSU is likely a loss with them playing well as of late. I give us about a 40% chance of winning that one. We'll be favored in the other four, but I won't be shocked if we lay an egg in one of those games. Gotta avoid losses to NW/Nebraska though. 4-1 is a good realistic goal in our remaining games but 5-0 is not impossible. 3-2 would be a bit disappointing but we'd still easily make the tourney. Just keep the momentum going!
Keep getting better every day. This team has a chance to make a mark.

Didn't realize Illini don't play again until Monday. Nice to get a little extra rest for Ayo and everyone after that tough PSU game, but will make for a tough next week -- Monday, Thursday, Sunday.
The rest now is more important for Ayo, so I'll take it especially since 2 of the 3 are at home and the away is a semi home game in Evanston, where we'll likely have a fan numbers advantage and it's a short trip.

Only Indiana has made fewer 3 point shots, and only Rutgers is ranked below us
Without strong 3 point shooting every game is going to depend on our defense
Personally, i do not see any blowups. Every game is going to be a battle

Big Ten Shooting.jpg

Feels weird not having a weekend game but giving Ayo the time to recover and continue the healing process is vital at this point in the season. There are no lay down games in the conference this year.... Gotta come out physical and dominant from the opening tip and it would be nice to watch a home game without pacing the living room. This feels like it could be a Frazier game. Go Illini.

It’s really hard not to look ahead. But we have to take it one game at a time. Definitely expect a win here, even if it’s close.

With that being said, 3-2 is minimum expectation to finish the season, and I’d be happy with that. Take care of business in the next two games, 4-1 is the minimum (and then very realistic) expectation.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
We can’t let up on this one at home. Keep the momentum up and thrash them! I think we can close out without another loss.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I wouldn't put @ Purdue being a game we were supposed to win, plus we were losing at halftime at Mackey. 70% second half shooting helped a tiny bit. I'm talking the games where we shouldn't be sweating it out.

I reference games vs:

Northwestern
Miami
Nichols

All at home, all causing heartburn.
I think the Illini just have Purdue's number this year like Iowa had ours last. Also, I would add as reference games, Rutgers (3 point win) and maybe Minnesota (8 pts). Just does not seem as if the Illini can blow anyone out (except Purdue and referring to B1G teams). I think that is probably due to as Chocolate Thunder pointed out the lack of three point shooting. I am probably going senile but I seem to remember in the "old" days that if the Illini lost by less than, say, five points, at another team's home court, then the Illini would usually kill 'em at the later follow up home game in the Assembly Hall by at least 10 and often blow 'em out. And, of course, vice versa. This would apply to other teams as well. And of course, depending on the team. This would probably exclude a team like NW and others that were not having a particularly good year. Now get off my lawn!

billybaroo

Pebble Beach, CA
I think the Illini just have Purdue's number this year like Iowa had ours last. Also, I would add as reference games, Rutgers (3 point win) and maybe Minnesota (8 pts). Just does not seem as if the Illini can blow anyone out (except Purdue and referring to B1G teams). I think that is probably due to as Chocolate Thunder pointed out the lack of three point shooting. I am probably going senile but I seem to remember in the "old" days that if the Illini lost by less than, say, five points, at another team's home court, then the Illini would usually kill 'em at the later follow up home game in the Assembly Hall by at least 10 and often blow 'em out. And, of course, vice versa. This would apply to other teams as well. And of course, depending on the team. This would probably exclude a team like NW and others that were not having a particularly good year. Now get off my lawn!
I said something similar after the 1st Maryland game. I’m choosing to believe in spite of the unrealistic bar I set for myself though.

I still believe this team has the potential to be very good. If we turn around and beat this team by 10-15 points at home then I will really start believing. That’s how we used to roll—get jobbed and lose by a couple on the road to good teams and then murder them at home (and take care of lesser

We held PSU to under 60 at their house. We do the same to Watchamacallit University in the Assembly Hall. What do we score? I think this team is going to roll. We don't get shot clock violations. Our offensive efficiency improves. That said, it's Anything-Can-Happen B1G. Take it from there.

Only Indiana has made fewer 3 point shots, and only Rutgers is ranked below us
Without strong 3 point shooting every game is going to depend on our defense
Personally, i do not see any blowups. Every game is going to be a battle

View attachment 5716
3PT shooting is variable from game to game. See Purdue vs Iowa compared to your pick of Purdue vs. Illini.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
This is a game that could really use a 15+ win. Good shooting performance, Frazier leading the team in scoring, Cockburn looking fresh, couple 3's from Griffin, etc.

looking for some gameday advice for the Indiana game. Bringing the family their first game and haven't been to assembly hall in probably 15 years. Have a prepaid parking spot in E14 - any advice on easiest driving route around the Hall and just how early we should get there (kids are 8 and 5 so trying to avoid as much downtime as possible) given the sellout?

Very happy where this team is now vs preBIG, as we all are. BU has evolved the strategy, early on playing with an extremely inexperienced Kofi and two bigs on the floor much of the time. Plus Ayo was not stellar early on, and he was the primary ball handler. Not to mention the total defensive change from last year.

The team and the coaches needed to figure things out. The evolution of Trent mostly bringing the ball up, playing one big at a time generally, Kofi gaining some experience and Ayo=Superstar has put us where we are. The pieces are snapping into place much better!

I was thinking of going to an early game, but with the rugged start and hosting Thanksgiving, I did not make plans. After the winning streak started, I got tickets for the Iowa game. I live in MA so it is not an easy trek, but I have not been to State Farm Center, only the Hall. Last time there was on Super Bowl Sunday vs Iowa the year Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl. Looking forward to seeing a game and yelling my head off without someone glaring or swearing at me. Got sworn at told to shutup at Providence, saw Groce's last regular season game at the RAC. RU fans were ok.

GO ILLINI!

I-L-L

This is a game that GB should thrive in. This is a small, not overly athletic Nebraska team. If he doesn't put numbers up in these next two games....I'm afraid he'll really have to be limited in his minutes. After these, he's right back in the hot seat vs quality Big Ten big men.

Very, very rough year to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.