Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Illinois vs Nebraska
Saturday, February 2nd
1:15pm CT
BTN

:illinois:

They just lost Copeland. Really unfortunate for him and them. They could’ve made some noise in the conference and in the tourney. Now they’re on the verge of going into a free fall. It will be interesting to see how they come to play.

But from our point of view, this has to be a win. A loss would really pump the brakes on the “we’re turning the corner” talks.

The stats (kenpom, t-rank) like Nebraska a lot more than I do. I think we can take them, but it won't be easy. Need to play better than we did against Minnesota, and hopefully some home cooking will give us that push.

Deleted member 645583

D
I predict a win, Why? Why not? At home. Adjust after loss at Minnesota. Wishful thinking.

Minnesota has been playing incredibly well lately, so I am not discouraged after last night. Beating Minnesota would have had me on Cloud Nine; losing to them - even by significantly more than I was hoping - while they're on a roll is not that deterring. I am going to predict we win this one 77-71.

Look forward, not back!

This is a game the Illini really have to come out focused, knock Nebraska down, and don't let them up. If they do that, with the struggles Neb. has had with scoring of late I think this we'll be looking at about a 12 point victory. If we let them hang around, the Huskers' upperclassmen could find a way to pull this out.

Deleted member 645583

D
Go Varsity!

I remember way back (60s) when I was an underclassman on a high-school varsity baseball team (having been a B-teamer the previous season) . I said "GO VARSITY!" jokingly when we took the field. I to second base in my first start.

The upperclassmen stopped in their tracks, looked at me with unbelief and laughed.

We won.

True story. How could I make this up?

I must have seen "Knute Rockne" movie or something. I was a motivational speaker before anyone knew the term.

So I say again: "GO VARSITY, GO ILLINI!" No joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Varsity!

I remember way back (60s) when I was an underclassman on a high-school varsity baseball team (having been a B-teamer the previous season) . I said "GO VARSITY!" jokingly when we took the field. I to second base in my first start.

The upperclassmen stopped in their tracks, looked at me with unbelief and laughed.

We won.

True story. How could I make this up?

I must have seen "Knute Rockne" movie or something. I was a motivational speaker before anyone knew the term.

So I say again: "GO VARSITY, GO ILLINI!" No joke.

Ah, doesn't the Alma Mater end with "Victory, Illinois varsity"?

giphy.gif

Hail to the Orange!

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I look forward to when we can pencil this in as an automatic win again...let's say we start Saturday.

Home game, Nebraska without Copeland. Should be a win. Have to play better than last time out though.

Dan

Admin
Underwood: We get a Nebraska team that really handed it to us from the open. Only one I've felt like we were never in it. Palmer was terrific. I think he got to the foul line 16 times.

Underwood: This is an extremely good Nebraska team. Hate to see Copeland get hurt. But they're a tremendous defensive team.

Underwood: Looking back at the Minnesota game, we had 16 missed shots within 3 feet of the basket. Missed opportunities for and-ones.

Underwood: We didn't get one of our better nights from Ayo & Giorgi. And yet, I thought we had an opportunity to take control of that game up 5.

Underwood: We were all over the place (in the last meeting). We were all over the place. A lot of our ball-screen stuff wasn't in. Probably the one night Ayo looked like a freshman.

Underwood asked what has caused Kipper to fall out of the rotation...

"Tevian. Minutes are earned... But Kip will be fine. He's had a couple good days of practice."

Underwood: Nebraska's defensive numbers are through the roof, and a lot of that is attributed to (Watson).

Underwood asked what he said to Giorgi after his frustrating night at Minnesota...

"I can't repeat that."

"He got a little frustrated, a little emotional. A couple calls he let bother him. He's got to grow from that."

Underwood on communication issues: Quiet teams lose. Maybe we need to put it in a rap song. Teams in this league make you pay for mistakes.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247

I just like the fact that we are playing on a Saturday instead of Sunday. And middle of afternoon instead of 11AM, so I can hook up with buddies someplace to throw down a few without feeling like a lush.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Would love to See Tev get the start in this one. He's just giving us a lot more than AJ or Da'Monte right now and deserves a chance to hear his name called in the starting 5.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Just looking at the last half of the schedule, if the Illini are truly turning the corner there are a lot of winnable games in the next ten. Home games against Nebraska, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Indiana, home and home with PSU, @ OSU......or am I drinking too much orange and blue Kool-Aid?

Tickets acquired! Gonna enjoy the balmy weather and hopefully a W to boot.

And, of course, we will be dining at a certain Korean establishment..

Deleted member 746317

D
I would start AJ and TJ. DMW and AJ both give good defense effort, but it seems AJ probably edges DMW in rebounds and AJ has more offensive upside, if he's on. If AJ isn't on, then look to get some more time for AG or look at letting GB play some 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.