Pregame: Illinois vs Nebraska, Saturday, September 21st, 7:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you want students to pay zero dollars? 'Scuse me, but my ticket prices have gone up this year, and I was shocked when I handed a $20 bill to the parking lot attendant and was told it was $25 now. As for all the previous comments on how things have changed for the worse, back in my day all games were at 1:00 in the afternoon. That was perfect. 11:00 am starts now are a killer. But if it weren't for big time college sports and the memories ingrained in us, would any of us come back to campus ... at all? Sports defines the school.

illini80

Forgottonia
So you want students to pay zero dollars? 'Scuse me, but my ticket prices have gone up this year, and I was shocked when I handed a $20 bill to the parking lot attendant and was told it was $25 now. As for all the previous comments on how things have changed for the worse, back in my day all games were at 1:00 in the afternoon. That was perfect. 11:00 am starts now are a killer. But if it weren't for big time college sports and the memories ingrained in us, would any of us come back to campus ... at all? Sports defines the school.
I get that, but you’re getting zero dollars from them now, right? To me the point is to get them to become fans, so when they are older they have that connection and are willing to buy tickets. If they never attend a game while in college, I expect there is zero chance of them ever purchasing a ticket.

Nebraska favored by 13.5 now.

IMVVHO, this game is IT for Lovie. This game will define Lovie. Could be wrong. But, he needs to bag this game.

In the 27 years since Ron Guenther took over the DIA, Illinois is 100th out of 119 BCS teams and 61st out of 65 “Big 5” conference programs in winning percentage.

You can’t blame the fans for not showing up anymore. You can’t ask them for more patience. You can’t ask them to have faith. You want them to go to the football games, you need to give them a reason. If it’s not a winning football team, it has to be something else.

Dan

Admin
Interesting to hear Frost say all three defenses Nebraska's faced this season have come out in looks that Nebraska didn't practice for. He thinks Illinois may just do what it does typically.
https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraSip/

Collin Miller keenly aware of the fact that the #Huskers haven’t won on the road since Scott Frost took over. Said he wants to go to Illinois and prove, “We’re here.”
https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraPG/

Lovie/Rod Smith roundup by JWerner247-

Lovie: Adrian Martinez is an outstanding football player. As a runner, he presents a lot of problems for you that can do both the way he can. Big runner. Can make you miss in open field. But what makes him special is he can throw the football too.

Lovie: Nebraska gives a lot of different formations. That's what causes you problems. It's one thing to run the football. The option part of it keeps a defense up at night.

Lovie: Lere Oladipo suspended indefinitely from the team.

Lovie: There's something to be said about primetime and having the opportunity to play in front of more people. Most football players would tell you they love playing primetime games.

Lovie: We'll need Brandon Peters to play his best Big Ten game against a good opponent.

Lovie: The one thing we did do this past week is play third-down defense.

Lovie: Marc Mondesir and freshmen DEs could get more reps moving forward.

Lovie: Ricky Smalling has played excellent football throughout this year.

Rod Smith: I didn't tell Isaiah Williams to warm up. I didn't tell anyone to warm up.

Rod Smith: Middle of game was frustrating and part of it was my fault. Behind the chains, I got out of rhythm and I forced some things. We can't play behind the chains.

Rod Smith: We are our own worst enemy right now with penalties, turnovers and taking sacks

https://twitter.com/JWerner247/

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
In the 27 years since Ron Guenther took over the DIA, Illinois is 100th out of 119 BCS teams and 61st out of 65 “Big 5” conference programs in winning percentage.

You can’t blame the fans for not showing up anymore. You can’t ask them for more patience. You can’t ask them to have faith. You want them to go to the football games, you need to give them a reason. If it’s not a winning football team, it has to be something else.
Short of hosting Monday Night Rehabilitation at halftime, I'm not sure there are really any fixes besides fielding a competent football team.

"We have a 2-1 nonconference start" and " We saw some good things" quotes from Lovie post game Saturday keeps ringing in my ears.
Or is it Tinius?

I dunno why students can't have free tickets every week considering what tuition costs now.

I don't see price as a real factor. Student season tickets are $60 - less than the cost of one textbook.

Interesting to hear Frost say all three defenses Nebraska's faced this season have come out in looks that Nebraska didn't practice for. He thinks Illinois may just do what it does typically.
https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraSip/

Lovie cannot read. You just may be right and safe.

Collin Miller keenly aware of the fact that the #Huskers haven’t won on the road since Scott Frost took over. Said he wants to go to Illinois and prove, “We’re here.”
https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraPG/

Oh boy. IF beating IL gets you "We're here", then IL better beat this low down team. IF IL had won the EMU game AND THEN beat Nebby, we would have claimed: "we're here".

Lovie/Rod Smith roundup by JWerner247-

Cut-paste era rears its head at a presser.

"White, 51, was hired Dec. 17, 1979, to bring on-the-field respectability to a football program that had had only one winning season in 15 years. He did that in his second year, leading the Illini to a 7-4 record in 1981 " It is amazing that the fans did show up for as long as they did. Inconsistency and futility has been the rule not the exception for 50 years. Given the explosion of digital entertainment and the number of games broadcast each weekend, it is hardly surprising that students do not attend games. I am surprised anyone does.

Whitman should be reviewing his list but I have not given up yet on Lovie. Had to miss Sat game. Saw some clips. EMU hit some tough passes that were reasonably covered but we appeared particularly bad across the middle of the field. Don't know football well enough to know how to fix it with our personnel. Hope Lovie has a couple rabbits in his beard that he can pull out

Whitman should be reviewing his list but I have not given up yet on Lovie. Had to miss Sat game. Saw some clips. EMU hit some tough passes that were reasonably covered but we appeared particularly bad across the middle of the field. Don't know football well enough to know how to fix it with our personnel. Hope Lovie has a couple rabbits in his beard that he can pull out
I with you, we're just going to hope we will improve as the season progresses.

Should give the students free beer, too.

Students barely show up. Should give that free beer to the longtime season ticket holders who have flittered away countless Saturdays following a moribund football program.

blackdog

Champaign
Students sit in the end zone in many stadiums - they are the transient group you hope come in because its a great place to be with fellow students - bar parties during the games are killing that it appears. What this team lacks is a solid local community filling up the sidelines on an annual basis (I mean what the heck else is there to do in UC on a Saturday people?). That takes either severe dedication to weather a long storm in product quality, or a team worth getting out of bed (or the bars) for.

Are the games televised locally? I guess if they are on BTN or CBSSports its hard to stop local viewership - but blackouts could help drive people back to participate. Ticket prices should reflect the quality of the product - low to public and free to students when bad....

The students should be a focus, but the main focus needs to be the fans living in the general area

You must not live in CU....there's always lots of things going on around town. Also a lot of people here don't really have any attachment to the University.

I really could care less how pissed off the Illini are. I'll be watching to see how well they play for 4 quarters, Saturday.

Deleted member 29907

D
You must not live in CU....there's always lots of things going on around town. Also a lot of people here don't really have any attachment to the University.
Correct - I do not live in CU - I was just being a wise guy.

That being said, its not a large metro area that can draw on a larger population to fill seats. So it's a shame if the University has little local support. But its the general population that has to be counted on to fill seats consistently - not students.

Status
Not open for further replies.