Pregame: Illinois vs Nebraska, Saturday, September 21st, 7:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I get this. If he deserved it..are you suggesting he should not have been recruited? Does he have a checkered history?
He was suspended after an arrest last year. Missed the final four games of the season. Reinstated after charges were dropped several weeks after the arrest but wasn't reinstated until after the season was over.

Deleted member 590820

D
Nebraska struggles vs S Alabama. Lost to Colorado on the road. Beat NIU team handily at home. So why are they favored by 14? I’m telling you gang, we can win this. I’d like to see IW behind center some. He’s got 4 games before using up red shirt. First conference game seems like a good time to get his first playing time. Illini 31-28.

He was suspended after an arrest last year. Missed the final four games of the season. Reinstated after charges were dropped several weeks after the arrest but wasn't reinstated until after the season was over.
Charges dropped...wrongfully accused? Could not read news gazette account but NW herald said witnesses changed their stories. He missed games that he probably should not have. Seems the charge made by other poster vs Lovie was a cheap shot

Deleted member 524120

D
I'm glad to hear that the offense is pissed, but after watching tape of the game. Wow our Offensive Line is really bad. I dont see fixes in lack of speed, getting off the snap, and no one getting to 2nd level. I had very high hopes for this line. This would be a huge win if we can somehow put up 40 pts. And have a few turnovers in our favor. Oh ya, and not 100 yards in penalties. Go Illini!!!!

Whitman should be reviewing his list but I have not given up yet on Lovie. Had to miss Sat game. Saw some clips. EMU hit some tough passes that were reasonably covered but we appeared particularly bad across the middle of the field. Don't know football well enough to know how to fix it with our personnel. Hope Lovie has a couple rabbits in his beard that he can pull out

Staff member said they'll still run the Tampa 2, but they are indeed adding quite a few defensive surprises. Let's hope some new strategies make a difference.

Nebraska struggles vs S Alabama. Lost to Colorado on the road. Beat NIU team handily at home. So why are they favored by 14? I’m telling you gang, we can win this. I’d like to see IW behind center some. He’s got 4 games before using up red shirt. First conference game seems like a good time to get his first playing time. Illini 31-28.

I’ve watched all 6 of the games so far that both teams have played. I just can’t see us making it very competitive. Nebraska isn’t as good as they were hyped, but they have weapons on offense like no team we’ve played. They might 60 ball this defense. I mean, watch the Illini film. Our guys are constantly out of position, missing assignments, botching coverage. It’s all stuff that should be addressed through coaching but it hasn’t been during Lovie’s tenure and I don’t expect some incredible reversal of fortunes this week. I’ll take the grief if I’m wrong but I don’t think it’s going to be close.

I’ve watched all 6 of the games so far that both teams have played. I just can’t see us making it very competitive. Nebraska isn’t as good as they were hyped, but they have weapons on offense like no team we’ve played. They might 60 ball this defense. I mean, watch the Illini film. Our guys are constantly out of position, missing assignments, botching coverage. It’s all stuff that should be addressed through coaching but it hasn’t been during Lovie’s tenure and I don’t expect some incredible reversal of fortunes this week. I’ll take the grief if I’m wrong but I don’t think it’s going to be close.

The flip side can be true too.

You could get a lot of grief because we are terrible and yet win. And, have no way to rationalize the win. :noidea:

Dan

Admin
The issue with attendance (both student and general public) has been consistent since circa ~2012- a lack of excitement with the program coupled with poor performances at home. Essentially anytime of late there's been a flicker of positivity with the program, it's quickly extinguished post haste by a bad performance at Memorial Stadium.

The student support is interesting to observe, because there hasn't been anything to latch onto in order to establish & maintain in-person fandom for Illinois Football. A current 4th-yr senior at UIUC could've only witnessed 2 victories vs the B1G at MS. A student doing the 5-year undergrad plan or staying here for grad school might have nice memories from that win over Nebraska way back in 2015.

Still, last year's Homecoming must be highlighted. A team already with 2 losses, including a 63-24 drubbing at home, and this was the student section on Oct 13th-

il-ilh.jpg

Kinda challenging to retain those fans when you suffer a 29-7 halftime deficit but I digress

So now post-emu, what little interest is left with the fanbase..¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It is the first Saturday night B1G game at MS in 6 years, perhaps the fans will forget everything from the past x-number of years and drop by the stadium this weekend. Go Illini

Illinois Football home results 2016-present (8-14 overall, 2-11 vs the B1G):
E Michigan_L 34-31
Akron______W 42-3

Iowa_______L 63-0
Minnesota__W 55-31
Purdue_____L 46-7
Penn St____L 63-24
W Illinois_W 24-14
Kent St____W 31-24

N'western__L 42-7
Indiana____L 24-14
Wisconsin__L 24-10
Rutgers____L 35-24
Nebraska___L 28-6
W Kentucky_W 20-7
Ball St____W 24-21

Iowa_______L 28-0
Mich St____W 31-27
Minnesota__L 40-17
Purdue_____L 34-31 OT
W Michigan_L 34-10
N Carolina_L 48-23
Murray St__W 52-3

Deleted member 654622

D
Oladipo! GD son. I was pulling for you dude. I was. If it is anything other than missing a meeting or something stupid along those lines, I am going to be extremely disappointed

Illinisteve25

Champaign
Havent had a game where everything seems to go right in a looonnnggg time. Maybe its this game... Probably not but theres always hope. Prediction Nebby 42 Illini 17

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
I think Illinois will score plenty but probably get 60-balled. Lovie Smith has never stopped a read-option offense. Nebraska has the WRs to tear up an injured and bad secondary. We might finally have LBs who could chase down Martinez to limit big gains, but I’m not sure they have the discipline to stay in position to do so.

Unfortunately, I see a drubbing. Just once, I’d love to see a Lovie Smith defense take away the one thing the opponent is best at. Once.

Staff member said they'll still run the Tampa 2, but they are indeed adding quite a few defensive surprises. Let's hope some new strategies make a difference.

IF Nebby figures out our surprise, then we will be surprised.

So, let us hope Nebby is surprised.

Strange that football has become a game of surprises.

If our defense holds nebby under 30 and we eliminate the silly penalties I think we win. I know thats a BIG if but I'm optimistic and hopeful.

I know this goes against Rod's offensive philosophy but I think best chance for Illini against a team like Nebraska is to slow down the game and keep the D off the field as much as possible. Pull out the repertoire of running plays - put in Cumby for some jet sweeps, IW in some wildcat, Dre Brown between the tackles, and Corbin everything else. Get Norwood/Smalling/Sidney/Stampley in space whether by run or quick hit pass and let them make plays. Need to tell Peters to get ball out <2 seconds - can't have the backbreaking fumbles and sacks from him again - really hurt the team the last couple games.

This game will be a shoot out. OL issues is more about those helping the OL not getting it done. Barker still learning to block. Backs missing blocks as well. The offense just needs to jell. New QB, two new receivers, one OL. Defense needs to get healthy. Look for Witherspoon to play much more on defense this weekend. He was running with the first team in practice today. Kid has a good game last one. Adams should be back so that would give us our starting secondary for the first time. If Harding can figure out play action, that helps us a ton. I had a dream we opened in a 3-4. I know, just a dream.

I know this goes against Rod's offensive philosophy but I think best chance for Illini against a team like Nebraska is to slow down the game and keep the D off the field as much as possible. Pull out the repertoire of running plays - put in Cumby for some jet sweeps, IW in some wildcat, Dre Brown between the tackles, and Corbin everything else. Get Norwood/Smalling/Sidney/Stampley in space whether by run or quick hit pass and let them make plays. Need to tell Peters to get ball out <2 seconds - can't have the backbreaking fumbles and sacks from him again - really hurt the team the last couple games.

I understand that Peters is the QB but it seems like a major missed opportunity to not get IW involved AT ALL over the first 3 games of the season. His athleticism is a major tool that they are just ignoring.

Deleted member 590820

D
This might be crazy talk but we need secondary help? Use IW there? Some nickel packages ? Dime?

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
This game will be a shoot out. OL issues is more about those helping the OL not getting it done. Barker still learning to block. Backs missing blocks as well. The offense just needs to jell. New QB, two new receivers, one OL. Defense needs to get healthy. Look for Witherspoon to play much more on defense this weekend. He was running with the first team in practice today. Kid has a good game last one. Adams should be back so that would give us our starting secondary for the first time. If Harding can figure out play action, that helps us a ton. I had a dream we opened in a 3-4. I know, just a dream.

Oh man, how I wish this team would run a 3-4—especially against these read-option spread schemes.

The LB corps is better than the DL, our current DL is well suited to those roles, and we have several tweeners like Shogbonyo and Mondesir that are made for a 3-4 OLB role.

I'd love to see Betiku-Milan-Woods backed by Eifler-Hansen-Harding-Shogbonyo, or something like that.

Deleted member 29907

D
Have we done any jet sweeps yet this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.