Pregame: Illinois vs Nebraska, Saturday, September 21st, 7:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that Peters is the QB but it seems like a major missed opportunity to not get IW involved AT ALL over the first 3 games of the season. His athleticism is a major tool that they are just ignoring.
I still don't understand why they haven't put IW at least a few plays. Enough to have it on tape so that other teams at least have to prepare for it. They're worried about burning a RS year, but the way this season is going nobody is going to be around 4 years from now. Opposing teams always know exactly what we are going to do. ESPECIALLY on defense.

Deleted member 29907

D
This might be crazy talk but we need secondary help? Use IW there? Some nickel packages ? Dime?
How about the dollar package?

Throw some bills on the field hoping the opposing offense stops to pick them up... gives us more time to get into coverage.

(sorry - it's my coping mechanism :()

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m gonna say Illinois responds for this game and actually win. I’m going on the limb. Rather people want to admit it. We are much improve and it’s more talent on the roster. Just have to execute and have no mental mistakes.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
I’m gonna say Illinois responds for this game and actually win. I’m going on the limb. Rather people want to admit it. We are much improve and it’s more talent on the roster. Just have to execute and have no mental mistakes.

Don, if this team had ever played a B1G game without mental mistakes during Lovie's tenure, I'd be inclined to agree with you!

But there's a lot of things this team hasn't done a single time over four years.
1. Successfully defend a read-option QB
2. Get through a game without significant mental mistakes
3. Keep the defense off the field
4. Make an effective halftime adjustment on either side of the ball
5. Do a remotely effective job of taking away the opponent's strength

I could go on for a while here. I know it's defeatist, but I'm officially done believing they can manage any of the above until this team proves otherwise.

The team is probably improved - how much is hard to say. I don’t think we’ll win this one, but I’d be happy to now get shredded. A loss by 10 or fewer may as well be considered a W at this point. I think CFB will be retired before the Illini can be the team we want them to be.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
The team is probably improved - how much is hard to say. I don’t think we’ll win this one, but I’d be happy to now get shredded. A loss by 10 or fewer may as well be considered a W at this point. I think CFB will be retired before the Illini can be the team we want them to be.

Not in year 4.

At this point, there are no more moral victories. It’s go time.

(All my opinion of course)

Don, if this team had ever played a B1G game without mental mistakes during Lovie's tenure, I'd be inclined to agree with you!

But there's a lot of things this team hasn't done a single time over four years.
1. Successfully defend a read-option QB
2. Get through a game without significant mental mistakes
3. Keep the defense off the field
4. Make an effective halftime adjustment on either side of the ball
5. Do a remotely effective job of taking away the opponent's strength

I could go on for a while here. I know it's defeatist, but I'm officially done believing they can manage any of the above until this team proves otherwise.

Well stated, agree w/ all of it. In 2017, it was all because they were young players (totally agreed). In 2018, they had experience but were still very young and developing (I'm on board w/ that). It's now 2019. They're experienced, they're coached up and poised to take the program up a notch, yet through 3 games we're seeing the same issues.

they're coached up and poised to take the program up a notch, yet through 3 games we're seeing the same issues.
So, they are not coached up. If they were, we wouldn't be seeing the same issues. That is what has me beyond disgusted.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
MSU is going to be the stupid game we win, and only because Corbin can break one on anybody and MSU apparently can't score on tackling dummies.

Deleted member 29907

D
MSU is going to be the stupid game we win, and only because Corbin can break one on anybody and MSU apparently can't score on tackling dummies.
On paper - maybe - but we probably give confidence to most we play

So, they are not coached up. If they were, we wouldn't be seeing the same issues. That is what has me beyond disgusted.

Agreed. I put 75% of this on the coaches, and 25% on the players. This team has been hand built by Lovie and coached by his selections.

Deleted member 654622

D
I understand that Peters is the QB but it seems like a major missed opportunity to not get IW involved AT ALL over the first 3 games of the season. His athleticism is a major tool that they are just ignoring.
Eh. If IW was truly injured at the end of camp, and he couldn't even complete the simple passes, I say sit him for the year. And it's not as much about IW as it is Brandon Peters. For what he has done with such limited time in this offense and with these receivers, I say Brandon needs all the reps he can get. He will be back next year and our best bet to win

Deleted member 649710

D
Here is the total college football teaching experience of our defensive position coaches:

Gill Byrd
Illinois (2018-present)

Austin Clark -- Defensive Line
Illinois (2018-present)
USC (2016-17)(Assistant Defensive Line/Outside Linebackers)

Keynodo Hudson -- Cornerbacks
Florida Atlantic (2017-2018)
University of Charleston (2004-2008)

Miles Smith
Illinois (2018-present)

We don't have coaches with experience "coaching up" college kids. THAT is what has me disgusted.

Here is the total college football teaching experience of our defensive position coaches:

Gill Byrd
Illinois (2018-present)

Illinois (2018-present)
USC (2016-17)(Assistant Defensive Line/Outside Linebackers)

Miles Smith
Illinois (2018-present)

We don't have coaches with experience "coaching up" college kids. THAT is what has me disgusted.

And this is where Whitman has failed. Having a defensive staff like this after one of the worst defensive seasons in program history? Come on.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

Gill Byrd
Illinois (2018-present)

Illinois (2018-present)
USC (2016-17)(Graduate Assistant)

Miles Smith
Illinois (2018-present)

Just wanted to make one correction there to emphasize the point. Austin Clark was a GA at USC, he was not part of the staff proper.

Both Clark and Miles Smith are still in their 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.