Pregame: Illinois vs Nebraska, Saturday, September 21st, 7:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Do not worry. HC and DC, both, have promised that the negatives has been noted, they will be cleaned and last I heard they are adding some wrinkles to our D.
Yeah I heard they’re adding Dick Butkus.

Illinisteve25

Champaign
Really hoping for a good start to the game. Momentum will play a big factor and if we can get an early score to get the crowd going maybe it will help our porous defense cause a turnover or two.

illini80

Forgottonia
In my opinion, this game is the determining factor for Lovie's tenure. He can win back the fan base with an impressive win, or really cement the fact that he's in over his head with a loss.

I know which way I'm leaning.
I agree with you regarding the fan base, but I’m not as confident with JW. I believe he gets another year.

Optimists view of the future (or here is a bunch of excuses depending on how you want to look at it):

1. This was Wole’s third(ish) college game so his read option play should improve
2. Sidney Browns first game back
3. Peters and receivers have only worked together with new playbook for a couple months due to late graduations
4. Corbin’s first game back since the hip pointer
5. In theory, penalties should be something that can be quickly mitigated
6. Last week we had a couple DL and safeties out, which hindered the limited depth we already have.

Separately, this may be the best receiving corps we have had since Brandon Lloyd, Walter Young, and Greg Jennings

Therefore...maybe the end isn’t nigh? Maybe?

I both think and hope this team will prove some people wrong by the end of this year, it does suck missing your best DL and arguably best DB to season ending injuries, and the secondary is by far our weakest starting unit, some injuries early on and there’s not much help from the bench DB’s/Safeties either. This is our team’s bottleneck in win capacity in a business sense. But Offensively, upon eliminating penalties, (which apparently and sadly is easier said than done) we control our destiny as we have the talent to win a few at every position, along with next year. Plus Ford, Carter, and Epstein hopefully all healthy and back. Still, I know it looks very skeptical right now but I’ve got faith we get to 6 wins and a bowl, but first things first, let’s get this win tomorrow night under the lights against them Huskers! #ILL

Last edited:
In my opinion, this game is the determining factor for Lovie's tenure. He can win back the fan base with an impressive win, or really cement the fact that he's in over his head with a loss.

I know which way I'm leaning.

We are not on Nebraska's level and shouldn't demand to be yet. It's not these games that will decide Lovie's fate. It's Minnesota, Purdue, Rutgers, and maybe Northwestern.

illini80

Forgottonia
We are not on Nebraska's level and shouldn't demand to be yet. It's not these games that will decide Lovie's fate. It's Minnesota, Purdue, Rutgers, and maybe Northwestern.
Nebraska is not good right now. In a few years or maybe even next year, yes. There is no reason we should be below the current Nebraska team 4 years into a rebuild imo.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Nebraska is not good right now. In a few years or maybe even next year, yes. There is no reason we should be below the current Nebraska team 4 years into a rebuild imo.

That's the rational thought but not the realistic one. The fan base isn't known to be rational.

image.png

Looks like we will have :hailtotheorange::hailtotheorange: tomorrow across the street at the basketball facility.

Would be nice if the football team can deliver :hailtotheorange:

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
OK, I will watch with optimism. But not overly. Winning puts a positive spin on the season, makes up for last week. Losing a close game, leaves no room for error, with likely only 4 more winnable games. Get smoked...I may be done and looking forward to MLB playoffs and basketball season.

illinidawg89

Athens, GA
Nebraska isn't that good guys. They were way over hyped this season and they will also struggle in the Big. If Illinois loses its going to be by 10 or less.
I admire your optimism but I do have to wonder where you find it after the last two weeks. I've got to believe that Nebraska is at least 10 points better than Eastern Michigan.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Optimists view of the future (or here is a bunch of excuses depending on how you want to look at it):

1. This was Wole’s third(ish) college game so his read option play should improve
2. Sidney Browns first game back
3. Peters and receivers have only worked together with new playbook for a couple months due to late graduations
4. Corbin’s first game back since the hip pointer
5. In theory, penalties should be something that can be quickly mitigated
6. Last week we had a couple DL and safeties out, which hindered the limited depth we already have.

Separately, this may be the best receiving corps we have had since Brandon Lloyd, Walter Young, and Greg Jennings

Therefore...maybe the end isn’t nigh? Maybe?

I suppose as one more reason for motivation for today's game is that we have a bye next week.
Do you want to live with a loss for the next 2 weeks before going to Minny or do you want to hoot and holler for the next two weeks before getting win #4 at Minny? Your choice. Choose wisely young grasshoppers!

Status
Not open for further replies.