Pregame: Illinois vs Nebraska, Wednesday, March 4th, 9:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even think about it before, but surely Schmidt will be honored on Wednesday right? That's pretty cool.

Chicagoland
Thought we'd get started talk about the game a little bit Put together a bit of a scouting report from what I know about Nebraska (being a part-Husker fan). We already played NEB once this year and lost, so what can we do this time that's better? Here's some tidbits:

1. Terran Petteway- OK, obviously the star of the team. He's their Ray Rice. He'll take the last second 3, drive to the hoop, shoot with about 20 left on the shot clock (maybe he's their Starks...). He plays with intense passion and when he gets hot, he can hardly be stopped, but if he gets cold, he gets frustrated and he falls apart. When he falls apart, hardly anyone else on the team can function. Really. I've seen it in at least 3 games. Guard him close with Rice or Hill for the entire game, and frustrate him if necessary. Shutting down Terran is key to shutting down their offense.

2. Walter Pitchford- He plays PF, but he's a big dude at 6'10. He plays more F-C ball a lot. Not only that but he has a wicked 3 pointer. He went 5-10 from 3 and score a total 19 point in a close away game to Maryland (F: 69-65). I can't truly think of a great person to guard him, maybe Nnanna? Leron might foul too much and Morgbert is garge guarding the perimeter. I'd like to see more of the "2-big men down low" defensive sets we had against a bigger NW team.

3. Shavon Shields- OK he's very hot and cold. But when he gets hot, he's very good. He is the 2nd top leading scorer on the team, and loves the midrange jumper. I remember he dropped about 30 points on us to beat us last year (at home, away I can't remember). But he should be a good matchup for the likes of Hill. Truly, don't let him get going, and we can shut down their secondary point pipeline. With only Terran scoring well, NEB rarely wins.

4. Tarin Smith- Freshman PG just recently got the starter job halfway in the season. He shows flashes of excellence. Very quick, very athletic. I don't think Starks or Tate would have any issue guarding him. He's not a big scorer, but has had a couple double-digit nights. He loves the fast break steal and layup. Not the best passer and has is TO-prone so if we can pressure him, he'll play badly, and we'll see more of these two guys...

5. Tai Webster and Benny Parker- I lumped these guy together because they're both less well known and to be honest, kind of the same in my mind. 2 G's that have sticky sticky fingers. They get around 15 minutes of playing time each, again depending on if Smith is playing well or not. They are pretty good perimeter defenders in their zone defense, we need to PASS WELL because those lazy passes against NW will get picked off by these two guys. Groce should stress to the guards to take care of the ball.These guys can be easily shut down by Nunn, Tate and Starks. (Nunn's guarding ability might be a bit wasted on them haha)

6. David Rivers- Not much to say here. He's a thick Egwu. Slow in the paint, low scoring, but a great rebounder. Also not a great defender. If Egwu could ever figure out an inside game, it might be against this guy (when he's not being hounded by Pitchford)

7. AH YES! The dread ZONE DEFENSE- Nebraska had a zone defense that killed us when we couldn't buy a basket at their house this year. They even gave WIS fits. Look guys, we know what needs to be done here. That passing we saw against NW was good practice, because NEB's zone is much, much taller and tougher, with better, more active defenders. Crisp, clean passes and flashing inside to the elbow will help. Malcolm hill will need his turnaround FT-line jumper on point for this one. Hopefully Groce showed the team the good movement from the NW game, and will reinforce that for this game.

Keys to the game
1. Shut down Petteway/Shields
2. Good Ball movement
3. Use the paint, and elbows for pts if the 3's don't fall.

Any questions? :D

Or they could just make it very clear to the A-sectioners that if they don't show up by the end of the first half, their seats WILL be given up and they will have to sit in the upper levels.

I used to be an Andy Frain usher all over Chicago. If people with tickets show up, simply send the others back upstairs. Not a big issue.:cool:

10 p.m. Start here in VA...3:45 a.m. Alarm going to be brutal :shield:

Just realized 10 PM here (MA) as well. Too important to miss live. May fall asleep, but that's doubtful.

We need this one. GO ILLINI!!!!:illinois::shield::chief::illinois::shield::chief:

New York
7. AH YES! The dread ZONE DEFENSE- Nebraska had a zone defense that killed us when we couldn't buy a basket at their house this year. They even gave WIS fits. Look guys, we know what needs to be done here. That passing we saw against NW was good practice, because NEB's zone is much, much taller and tougher, with better, more active defenders. Crisp, clean passes and flashing inside to the elbow will help. Malcolm hill will need his turnaround FT-line jumper on point for this one. Hopefully Groce showed the team the good movement from the NW game, and will reinforce that for this game.

Very nice post. This is what scares me - our skip passes worked great against NW, but a better team picks off many of them and completely changes the game momentum. (possible 5 point swing for each pick off)

If we're going to use skip passes against Nebraska, have to be really sharp with them, otherwise it could give them easy points and really demoralize us offensively. I liked putting Ray in the middle of the zone and keeping another wing roaming baseline. I see our bread and butter being using the skip pass only when there's a clear opening and otherwise moving the ball effectively in and out of the high post.

New York, New York
I'd like to see Illinois get off to a Northwestern type start and bury Nebraska early. Pettway and Shields are both momentum type players and can make it rough on Illinois if they get going. But in earnest, a quick lead should snowball as Nebraska has lost six straight games and the past two by a combined 52 points. I imagine the line is set somewhere are 9.5.

Admin
The Monday B1G Teleconference

Washington, DC
I want Schmidt to start, to get a shot on a set play, and then to be subbed out at the earliest opportunity.

Or is he no longer dressing for games?

Last edited:

I want Schmidt to start, to get a shot on a set play, and then to be subbed out at the earliest opportunity.

that will not happen, and yes he is still dressing. sick last game

New York

Still dressing I believe. Don't want him to start, too scary, but I would love to be up enough to get him a shift at the end of the game and an opportunity for a shot. Would also be nice to take out Rice/Egwu/Starks for an ovation at the end. Winning big would be so great.

Orange Krush '04 & '05
Limited qty remain - does that mean for students or period, i.e. a sellout?

If sellout, what are the chances the place is actually packed? I assume there will be a number of empty seats in A section

I wonder if the ticket office mechanics are they pull an available ticket for sale off each time a student claims a free ticket. So however many tickets are available to the public include the availability to students.

Washington, DC
that will not happen, and yes he is still dressing. sick last game

Well, he'd be off the floor in 30 seconds or so, so what is the big risk?

Then again, I am the one whinging about not taking Nebraska for granted...

Well, he'd be off the floor in 30 seconds or so, so what is the big risk?

Then again, I am the one whinging about not taking Nebraska for granted...

As Malcolm showed in the last game, setting the tone in the first 30 seconds can be huge.

Chicagoland
Yes, why are you a part-Husker fan?

Just kidding. Thanks for the post. What's been causing Nebby's losses lately - more their O or D?

I have family I see often in Lincoln and I've been to a few games.

No problem. I haven't watched their last two games, but looking strictly at box scores, seems its been a little of both. Ohio St put up 81 pts, and Iowa dropped 74 on them. Both outings seemed very offensively timid with Terran having sub-20 pt nights, and fewer others in double digits. Both poor O and D has contributed to those losses :/

The last best showing was at Maryland and I already said that was because both Petteway and Pitchford were lighting it up.

Chicagoland
Very nice post. This is what scares me - our skip passes worked great against NW, but a better team picks off many of them and completely changes the game momentum. (possible 5 point swing for each pick off)

If we're going to use skip passes against Nebraska, have to be really sharp with them, otherwise it could give them easy points and really demoralize us offensively. I liked putting Ray in the middle of the zone and keeping another wing roaming baseline. I see our bread and butter being using the skip pass only when there's a clear opening and otherwise moving the ball effectively in and out of the high post.

No problem, thanks!

Yeah I see issues with the skip passes, too, especially with handsy guards roaming about the wings. But that's why I like the Egwu-Morgbert look with 2 guys down low. Very tall players who can see and pass over, skip passes coming from either side will really keep their defense shifting and tired.

Washington, DC
As Malcolm showed in the last game, setting the tone in the first 30 seconds can be huge.

At the risk of calling out a dead horse GIF, showing appreciation to seniors can be huge, too.

But yes, Malcolm really did set the tone for the game with the dive and subsequent shot.

No problem, thanks!

Yeah I see issues with the skip passes, too, especially with handsy guards roaming about the wings. But that's why I like the Egwu-Morgbert look with 2 guys down low. Very tall players who can see and pass over, skip passes coming from either side will really keep their defense shifting and tired.

How often does Nebraska play Shields at the 4? I know he played there some against us in the first one. If Shields is at the 4, I think we have no choice but to play Hill at the 4. Colbert and Morgan can't keep up with Shields. And when Pitchford/Rivers is at the 4, Colbert is probably a better matchup than Morgan.

Los Angeles
7 P.M. game time means I'll be able to actually catch this one! West coast fans rejoice.

Keys to the game
1. Shut down Petteway/Shields
2. Good Ball movement
3. Use the paint, and elbows for pts if the 3's don't fall.

Any questions? :D

Great Post! From casually watching them, this is my only key to the game. Seems like if those 2 don't score around 35-40, nobodies going to step up for a 20 point game (unless Aubrey Dawkins decided to transfer :D)

It is really simple, if you are in C ..move to A second half, you go back to c if someone comes late....no big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.