Pregame: Illinois vs Nebraska, Wednesday, March 4th, 9:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Champaign, IL
So are you saying Illinois basketball put out a false release? Doesn't seem to make sense.
They usually declare a sellout when only single tickets remain. But obviously the online server is showing at least 120 pairs of tickets available. The $9 flash sale is still active too.

Champaign, IL
Yeah he did because if you look at the map in that link that gray (sold out) alley or corner that goes all the way up to C section is where students sit
That must be it. Either way it looks like this should be a good crowd tomorrow night. Wish they would've ran deals like this for the MSU and NW games to fill the place. It really makes a difference when the place is packed and electric like the Michigan game.

That must be it. Either way it looks like this should be a good crowd tomorrow night. Wish they would've ran deals like this for the MSU and NW games to fill the place. It really makes a difference when the place is packed and electric like the Michigan game.
Even though there weren't as many people there, both the MSU and NW game had good atmosphere's. I agree Michigan was the best, though. $9 tickets through the university and $5 tickets on stubhub. Hopefully some people see those prices and decide to come down last minute.

I'm guessing we see the silver again. In the latest TNT episode, the managers said if they win in a jersey then they'll usually where it again. It was no coincidence that they pulled out the silver jerseys the game after our first loss in the normal home whites (I think). I also don't think it's a coincidence that we haven't seen the throwbacks ever since we lost in them against IU.

You know I know it's very unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see Schmidt start at 2G and play the first minute or two and then get Nunn back in there. This would go above and beyond the kid's wildest dreams and probably wouldn't hurt us in the scheme of things. Yes, it's a must win but I think we'd be ok for 1 to 2 minutes.
It just seems this kind of thing isn't done much any more to honour the seniors but I do remember Lou Henson doing it, I believe and the fans love hearing those seldom heard names get called in the starting lineups.
And yes, hoping for the Silver Jerseys again. I-L-L

You know I know it's very unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see Schmidt start at 2G and play the first minute or two and then get Nunn back in there. This would go above and beyond the kid's wildest dreams and probably wouldn't hurt us in the scheme of things. Yes, it's a must win but I think we'd be ok for 1 to 2 minutes.
It just seems this kind of thing isn't done much any more to honour the seniors but I do remember Lou Henson doing it, I believe and the fans love hearing those seldom heard names get called in the starting lineups.
If Schmidt got the start and we lost, it wouldn't be because he got the start.

Washington, DC
I took a lot of flak for suggesting the same thing a day or two ago. Give him the ball for one shot, and take him out. 30 seconds could do it.

He is a walkon manager. Nice story but you can't risk the season for a feel good story. He is dressing because they needed another body for practice. I don't think he even got in the NU blowout so no chance they start him in a meaningful game.

St. Joseph, IL
He is a walkon manager. Nice story but you can't risk the season for a feel good story. He is dressing because they needed another body for practice. I don't think he even got in the NU blowout so no chance they start him in a meaningful game.
He wasn't dressed for the NU game. He was sick.

Kirksville, MO
Many times, these games come down to execution on one more possession than your opponent.
You don't want to gamble unnecessarily to start the game.
Put it on your best players to shoulder the load and handle the pressure.

As excited as Ryan Schmidt must be to represent the University of Illinois as a part of this team, I can't believe that he would want the pressure of being on the floor with our NCAA tournament lives on the line.
That's a lot of pressure for someone who hasn't played in a meaningful game in 4 years, and never on this kind of stage.
He'll get his recognition.
He doesn't need to be set up for failure.

Any of you fellow Atlanta residents know of a bar / anywhere that carries the BTN? Just moved down to Buckhead and don't have the sports package for my cable.

New York
Many times, these games come down to execution on one more possession than your opponent.
You don't want to gamble unnecessarily to start the game.
Put it on your best players to shoulder the load and handle the pressure.

As excited as Ryan Schmidt must be to represent the University of Illinois as a part of this team, I can't believe that he would want the pressure of being on the floor with our NCAA tournament lives on the line.
That's a lot of pressure for someone who hasn't played in a meaningful game in 4 years, and never on this kind of stage.
He'll get his recognition.
He doesn't need to be set up for failure.
Yup, just hope that we get up enough where he can make a late game appearance and we get to send out Ray, Nnanna, and Starks with a big standing O.

Colorado
Any of you fellow Atlanta residents know of a bar / anywhere that carries the BTN? Just moved down to Buckhead and don't have the sports package for my cable.
Actually, I have found that most places do have it if you ask. I usually watch the games at Padriacs in Vinings, although the Illini Club official bar is the Rose and Crown Tavern, just outside the perimeter on I-75. They usually draw about 10-15 people for game watches, but I bet it'll be dead tonight.

Last edited:
Actually, I have found that most places do have it if you ask. I usually watch the games at Padriacs in Vinings, although the Illini Club official bar is the Rose and Crown Tavern, just outside the perimeter on I-75. They usually draw about 10-15 people for game watches, but I bet it'll be dead tonight.
Awesome, thanks! :illinois:

Schmidt's a good guy with a good story, but why would we put his "wildest dreams" above the potential fate of the basketball season? He already has a feel-good story, no need to go overboard.

Washington, DC
Schmidt's a good guy with a good story, but why would we put his "wildest dreams" above the potential fate of the basketball season? He already has a feel-good story, no need to go overboard.
Because team culture matters as much as winning at all costs?

Because team culture matters as much as winning at all costs?
If I recall correctly, Ekey and Bertrand didn't start on Senior Night last year.

Part of the what Groce is trying to establish is a winning culture. A huge part of that is earning your playing time.

Last edited:
Christian County, IL
Just pull an all-nighter tonight and drink lots of . . .

Last edited:
Chicago, IL
Great story, but this isn't Park District basketball. The season's on the line; we don't need to start a walk-on manager to fulfill his wildest dreams in the final home game of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.