Pregame: Illinois vs Nebraska, Wednesday, March 4th, 9:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because team culture matters as much as winning at all costs?
I know for a fact that this isn't an issue on this Illini team, but if this "dream scenario" played out on a random team, I'd be more worried about the culture of the team being ruined by a manager being allowed to start over guys that made the team due to actual basketball prowess.

Nothing against Schmidty, but some notion that he might deserve to START is ridiculous.

I know for a fact that this isn't an issue on this Illini team, but if this "dream scenario" played out on a random team, I'd be more worried about the culture of the team being ruined by a manager being allowed to start over guys that made the team due to actual basketball prowess.

Nothing against Schmidty, but some notion that he might deserve to START is ridiculous.
:thumb:

Chicagoland
He is a walkon manager. Nice story but you can't risk the season for a feel good story. He is dressing because they needed another body for practice. I don't think he even got in the NU blowout so no chance they start him in a meaningful game.
Agree. Don't think NEB will exactly explode in the first 2 minutes simply because we have one manager-player out there. Just don't have Schmidt guard Petteway :D

He is a walkon manager. Nice story but you can't risk the season for a feel good story. He is dressing because they needed another body for practice. I don't think he even got in the NU blowout so no chance they start him in a meaningful game.
This is interesting...the press Groce got from bringing this kid on went national, I actually agree with starting him...for a short time. I live in Florida and have heard this story a lot when it happened...it shows you care about your team.

Kirksville, MO
Start him and call a timeout immediately after the tip. Don't need 5 timeouts in the 1st half anyway.
You get a maximum of 6 for the entire game (short of going into OT), so...

You get a maximum of 6 for the entire game (short of going into OT), so...
you get 5 timeouts a game. Schmidt will not start. Groce will not burn a timeout. We are fighting for a tournament spot. As Groce would say "Know your role".

Quad-Cities, IL
you get 5 timeouts a game. Schmidt will not start. Groce will not burn a timeout. We are fighting for a tournament spot. As Groce would say "Know your role".
See what the score is with a minute in the first half. If they are up by 20, put him in. If not wait until the end of the game. The kid himself would not want to hinder this team because of starting for a minute.

Kirksville, MO
Isn't there one "use it or lose it" TO in the first half?

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
So if you don't call a timeout in the 1st, you have only 4 for the 2nd anyway?
Yes. Specifically one of the 30 second TOs, I think - if you for some reason used your full in the first half you'd only have 3 30-seconders left after halftime.

Can't be looking past Nebraska. One thing we can all agree on this season (in-conference), is that there are no guarantees.

I would be really tempted to start Schmidt (a) for the publicity and (b) to send a message that we are confident that we can win at home on senior night against a struggling Nebraska team. But if I was afraid that we might lose, then I would agree with those who think its an insane idea.

Champaign
Starting Schmidt is not only a dumb idea for the obvious reasons, but what kind of message is this sending to (a) whatever player you're benching for Schmidt and (b) Nebraska's team? If I were a Husker player I'd be pretty ticked that the other team is trotting out senior walk-ons in the starting five. It makes for a great story, but it's a terrible idea logistically speaking.

Nebraska has not won a conference game on the road this season. In fact, they have only been within 10 points of their opponent on the road once (69-65 loss @Maryland-2/19). Let's not be the first.

P.S. I put this in a another thread a second ago, but it seemed like this was it's true home.

Status
Not open for further replies.