Pregame: Illinois vs North Carolina A&T, Sunday, December 29th, 1:00pm CT, ESPNU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goals for Sunday game:

Ayo/Trent/Feliz AVERAGE combined Asst to T/O ratio of 3-1, should be easy against an inferior/un head coached team
Giorgi/Kofi learn to kick out for high % 3 atempts.
Griffin takes over for DaMonte in starting lineup
Jones plays more than mop up minutes and actually shows the ability to give + vs - to the team overall (better defense understanding would be a start)
We average shooting quicker in shot clock with only 2-3 desperation shots for the whole game...1 being at the half maybe with no time available...

And of course we WIN, we will if we can do the large % of the above. Then maybe build on something from there, the conference season is the ONLY way we get to the dance and we literally have to win on the road at least Wisky/Purdue/Rutgers on the road as we will not be undefeated at home.

TMC999

Not Iowa
We fall short by 20 on this game because they dedicate this one to coach Joyner and play like they want it more.
The Illinois effect once again. UK final 8 game, Miami inbounds replay, Kofi swatting KO'ing a ref...I swear you have to give the basketball Gods points for originality.
$50 says he is reinstated Dec 30th, after their tip-in upset. Then they go winless the rest of the year.

The Illinois effect once again. UK final 8 game, Miami inbounds replay, Kofi swatting KO'ing a ref...I swear you have to give the basketball Gods points for originality.
$50 says he is reinstated Dec 30th, after their tip-in upset. Then they go winless the rest of the year.
This isn't even far-fetched for us.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Very interesting comments by everybody on this board. I would like to just remind everybody what our own BBall coach told us about this year's team some interviews ago: we are a young team. What consistency do you get from young teams? Inconsistency. The Miami/MD/UM/MO games showed us that. Nothing more, nothing less, and as our bowl-bound football coach likes to say: it as simple as that. Let's all enjoy the ride this year because it's going to be ridiculously inconsistent!!

Very interesting comments by everybody on this board. I would like to just remind everybody what our own BBall coach told us about this year's team some interviews ago: we are a young team. What consistency do you get from young teams? Inconsistency. The Miami/MD/UM/MO games showed us that. Nothing more, nothing less, and as our bowl-bound football coach likes to say: it as simple as that. Let's all enjoy the ride this year because it's going to be ridiculously inconsistent!!

The BB and FB teams have been "ridiculously inconsistent" for a decade. It's been a long ride.

We are inconsistent at home. (See: Miami, Michigan).

We are very consistent (bad) on the road. 2-11 last season and a half, and one win was against a GCU team that is 4-4 at home this year.

Almost as consistent (bad) at neutral sites. 2-7 last season and a half.

If we make the NIT, we better hope the circus isn’t in Champaign that weekend.

Goals for Sunday game:

Ayo/Trent/Feliz AVERAGE combined Asst to T/O ratio of 3-1, should be easy against an inferior/un head coached team
Giorgi/Kofi learn to kick out for high % 3 atempts.
Griffin takes over for DaMonte in starting lineup
Jones plays more than mop up minutes and actually shows the ability to give + vs - to the team overall (better defense understanding would be a start)
We average shooting quicker in shot clock with only 2-3 desperation shots for the whole game...1 being at the half maybe with no time available...

And of course we WIN, we will if we can do the large % of the above. Then maybe build on something from there, the conference season is the ONLY way we get to the dance and we literally have to win on the road at least Wisky/Purdue/Rutgers on the road as we will not be undefeated at home.
I agree, the goal should be to look like a completely different team.

We won't be able to take anything from this game unless we play poorly. SFC will be a ghost town. We move on to Big Ten play. We need to win 10 or 11. Based on road analysis above, odds are less than 50 pct. But we play them and see. Evaluate improvement.

They play 1 freshman. Their 2 sophomores who play meaningful minutes started every game as freshmen and have played tons of minutes. Ain't all that young or inexperienced.

We are not that young considering today's college bball. I was surprised how much we needed a true pg at the beginning. It shows in our lack if assist, turnovers, and inability to win or close out close games.

Curbello is going to be great for us next year to give us structure. In the meantime we need better floor spacing and to run our offense. Passing to Trent would also help.

I get what you’re saying, but I hope the team dwells on it all week long. Maybe next week too.
My sense during the last game was that Miznoz's unusually aggressive defense got into our heads. Missed a few shots, and self-doubt snuck in. Accordingly, I hope they forget that game forever

The first of 3 games in 7.5 days.....we will know after Purdue game whether we are on a good track. I'd feel better on NCAA chances with 2 of 3 as wins right now.... currently expecting NIT.

Interesting segment 7 to 9 min. about team leadership. BU is expecting team leadership to keep team focused and accountable...but not working and he's taking back reigns ( my summary).

Self accountable at this stage not being present is alarming (even with young guys on the team). Agreed he sounds as if he will be handling the players from now on and not the players trying to be leaders on their own. I don't think he expects the to "keep" focused and accountable, I think he expects them to "start" to hold one another accountable and keep each other focused and if they don't HE will?

Griffin may very well be the key to the rest of the season imo. Trent takes more shots, Griffin supplants Williams (intangibles are almost nearly the same, but Griffin brings the offensive threat).

No at large team has ever made the dance with more than 14 losses. Currently, we have 4, so one can do the math.

A loss will be far more damaging than an average game. We're at home, playing a terrible team (323 KenPom, 269 NET). If we win this game, the committee won't care.

From a legitimate tournament team's perspective, this is a scrimmage where you work on the things you need to, and close the door late if you're not running away with it.

Vegas has Illinois favored by 24.5, so you'd hope it's not even close.

Effort & attitude can carry this talent. Stop talking and freaking toughen up.

Let’s hope the coaches do their jobs this week and get the guys ready to play and put them in positions to succeed. Hopefully they spent the majority of their time working on some semblance of an actual half court offense. Might not matter for this game, but they definitely need it going forward if they want to be competitive.

Interesting segment 7 to 9 min. about team leadership. BU is expecting team leadership to keep team focused and accountable...but not working and he's taking back reigns ( my summary).

Sounded eerily reminiscent of one of our former coaches.

Thanks for sharing this. Gives me a lot more confidence that BU is going to step up. He's not using coach-speak there --seems pretty blunt in saying the guys wanting to be leaders are struggling, don't have the habits and discipline to push through stretches where we're not competitive.

He's saying HE needs to coach like his hair's on fire. I agree, he DOES need to coach like his hair's on fire. He's got the guns this year, and it will be a terrible wasted opportunity if he lets these guys down with less than 100% effort as a coach. I think he's been a bit soft on holding them to a high level of effort, and needs to kick it up a couple notches.

I think the guys that fully buy-in will thank him later when they get through this. Crossing my fingers...

We are inconsistent at home. (See: Miami, Michigan).

We are very consistent (bad) on the road. 2-11 last season and a half, and one win was against a GCU team that is 4-4 at home this year.

Almost as consistent (bad) at neutral sites. 2-7 last season and a half.

If we make the NIT, we better hope the circus isn’t in Champaign that weekend.
Do you mean the circus on the court or the circus circus

Tacomallini

Washington State
Do you mean the circus on the court or the circus circus
You’re prob just kidding, but if not reference is for the Circus circus, or Celine Dion, or Monster Truck Extravaganza or any other event that would interfere w NIT home court advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.