Pregame: Illinois vs North Carolina, Saturday, September 10th, 6:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have whatever JDHalfrack is having. :eek:

Yes, stuff my stogie with summa that too. Mostly just hoping for a great game in a prime time atmosphere and an upset win. I really believe we can pull it off which is far more than what I have felt before a big game since sometime in the Zook coaching period.

Many of the songs mentioned are not indicative of what late/teen early 20s athletes are using to get hyped. Just FYI. Sweet Caroline might make some of you cringe, but I bet also makes them cringe too, for different reasons. These guys are listening to future, drake etc.

Here's my prediction: I'm feeling a 34-24 NC win, but the score will look worse than it will be. We'll only be down by 3 late in the 4th, but NC will seal the deal with a long, time-consuming TD drive.

We'll look back and be disappointing in a loss that will really sting, but we'll realize we mainly lost because of depth, and we'll all come away realizing how much better this team is coached and prepared for big time games than previous years. We will actually ride the momentum of a "good loss" and go 4-0 the next 4 games. We'll storm into B1G play and shock some teams with our excellent game play... before being reminded by Michigan who the big boys in the conference really are.

In Michigan, we will leave beaten. It won't be as close ans UNC, but it won't be ugly. We'll never be in it, but we'll never give up. Instead, we learn a lot about ourselves as players and coaches, and what we need to do to get to the next level.

And so, after the loss to Michigan, the team will get even hungrier to show the country that while we're not in the elites yet, we're making huge strides. We'll take our vengeance out on Minnesota and thrash them and continue by dominating MSU to begin what future generations will refer to as "the day we knew the program turned around".

The game in Wisconsin will be the game that really starts to turn people's heads. On the road, in a nasty atmosphere, in awful cold rainy weather, the defense that has trained so hard and practiced so long, shuts out the Wisconsin offense. We'll already be ranked by this point, but this win puts us into the top 15. The nation will begin to talk about "the Lovie effect".

The next two games will have Illinois favored. People will be afraid to bet against the Illini, and Vegas will share in their fear. Being 9.5 point favorites against Iowa and double-digit favorites against Northwestern prove to be the folly of those that bet against the spread. Iowa is left dumbfounded after 60 minutes of physical game play, and Northwestern is reminded why the Illini is Illinois' team. For the first time in history, the Illini will play in the B1G championship game.

The fans will be excited regardless of the outcome, but nervous because as fate would have it, Michigan brings their #1 rated, 12-0 team to the championship as well. But, you see... the Lovie-led Illini have learned. They will have matured. They're like animals adapting in a survival of the fittest environment, and they intend to survive.

Illinois will be down by 3 late in the 4th quarter. But this isn't the same team that lost to UNC in Week #2. This isn't the same team that lost to Michigan 5 games later. This won't be the same team that dropped passes all year last year... that allowed big plays at in opportune times... that had games with more personal foul yards than yards from scrimmage...

No... THIS team is the team that is lead by a man who has been to two Super Bowls and has won the NFL Coach of the Year... THIS is the team that is lead by a coaching staff with more NFL experience than any other in Division I... THIS is the team that is ready to say WE WILL WIN, and do it.

That night, when the Illini are crowned B1G champions, and the they're out celebrating, and the fans are celebrating, and the nation is celebrating, and college football is left with a decision to make about the playoffs, remember this...

It all started with a 34-24 loss to North Carolina. Because in week #2, it's not whether you win or lose... it's what you do afterwards with the results.

Or, maybe I'm just getting too specific in my prediction...

God, that was great.

:chief::shield:

Many of the songs mentioned are not indicative of what late/teen early 20s athletes are using to get hyped. Just FYI. Sweet Caroline might make some of you cringe, but I bet also makes them cringe too, for different reasons. These guys are listening to future, drake etc.

I'm not saying 'Sweet Caroline' means anything to me if it's played ... But I'm pretty darn sure that it has no effect on the players at all ... Their hype music has been playing for hours in their huge headphones as they've been getting geared up for the game ... But I also hope like hell their hype music ever is much better than future or drake --- lol good lord

I didn't say play Chelsea Dagger. I said like the Blackhawks on the intro. If anyone has been to the introduction when the stitches are going in the Blackhawk sweater prior to them coming out of the locker room , that gives hills and fires up a dead man.

Something LIKE that . Not Exactly like it .................. So throw out your idea bobbob

I posted this on the other thread (for Marching Illini) but the intro song that they had with the hype video from old clips was literally the same song as the Blackhawks hype video that you are talking about with the stitches. Surprised no one else has commented on that.

This is not the greatest video, but here is the Hawks intro. From 0:40 through 2:50 is the part that I am speaking of... Same thing that they played at Memorial Stadium save for football highlights rather than hockey highlights.

Listen for it Saturday if you have any doubts... I'm pretty confident on this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwVjTeC8QMY

jonnymo

the paign
I'm down for Pantera "Walk"!!!!

Or Damageplan "Breathing"

Last edited:

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
I'm down for Pantera "Walk"!!!!

Or Damageplan "Breathing"

I'm sure there's already some team using Drowning Pool's "Bodies"? I'd be kinda cool to have an entire stadium screaming "Let the bodies hit the floor..."

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
What about 7 minutes of awkward silence as our hype music? Would really make the opponents uncomfortable.

The actual song doesn't matter. VTech doesn't have players blasting early 90's Metallica in the locker room. Wisconsin doesn't have players listening to a lot of House of Pain anymore.

But those programs built a connection between the game atmosphere and Enter Sandman/Jump Around. That is what gets the players and fans hyped. It is not the song by itself, it is the connection.

We took a song that was already tied closely to another program (the Red Sox) and tried to pass it off as ours. That is the cringe.

I'm all for having a song to sing along to at set time (end of halftime, start of the fourth, whatever). Just make it an Illinois song. Stars by Hum because they are from Chambana, your pick of a Wilco or REO Speedwagon song. Just not something that someone is already doing.

ZeroDarkThirsty

Stay Thirsty My Friends
United States
21m5bly.jpg

2 Legit.

2 Legit To Quit.

Oh Hammer.

Oh Hammer...please don't hurt 'me.

Oh Hammer.

Please don't.....

ILLINIFAN2

Des Moines, IA
What time will the players arrive on the bus and walk through Grange Grove on Saturday?

Superior coaching gets us close in this one, maybe even the W. These games in the past have always been blown wide open because of stupid mental errors - blowing coverage, dropping balls, MISSING EXTRA POINTS, etc. Lovie and crew drastically helps delete those errors, and the game is close. We catch them making some errors, and we win.

Also, predicting one or two excellent Lovie-type takeaways this week. Would love to see a Peanut Punch.

What time will the players arrive on the bus and walk through Grange Grove on Saturday?

Pretty sure that's always 2.5 hours before game time. Last week's was great, don't want to miss this week's.

Status
Not open for further replies.