Pregame: Illinois vs Northwestern, Tuesday, February 21st, 7:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, let me preface this by saying I think our only shot at the tourney is winning the BTT. This post is certainly not trying to hypothesize a plausible scenario of us getting an at large bid...

With that said there is a small chance we end up with an equivalent RPI as them (61) if we go 3-1, and they go 0-4 according to RPI Forecast. I'd be very curious to see what the committee does with NW at that point.

If we are at out does that mean they're out too?

In this case, we'd have similar RPI, better SOS, and beaten them twice. We'd also have a better record vs top 50 RPI teams.

Northwestern would most likely end up 4-9 vs top 50, and 6-4 vs 50-100. We'd be 5-8 vs top 50, and 4-5 vs 50-100. Both teams would be 100% vs sub-100 teams.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Northwestern.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Illinois.html

So, the silver lining could be a sweep today sabotages their resume :illinois:

Even in that scenario you mentioned, they have a road win at Wisconsin, our best win would probably be the road win against NU or home against UM. There's not a ton of meat on our resume even if we do go 3-1 the rest of the way. We missed all of the chances at signature wins.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Yes, the line has moved. It would then read Illinois +1.5.

Yep, that's exaclty what I saw. Would be nice to "overcome" that and sweep the Wildcats.

Last edited:
Even in that scenario you mentioned, they have a road win at Wisconsin, our best win would probably be the road win against NU or home against UM. There's not a ton of meat on our resume even if we do go 3-1 the rest of the way. We missed all of the chances at signature wins.

RPI wise, our best win is a neutral court victory over VCU.

I am ready for us to have a new HC, but did anyone else get a little choked up watching Groce's Iowa post-game presser? It's got to be so tough coaching when you pretty much know your fate. I think he's genuinely moved that his guys are still fighting for him.

I know that he is paid amazingly well, and that it's all about the results, criticism goes with the job, etc. etc. But at the end of the day, he's still a person and has a young family (young boys who will probably be crushed when their Dad is no longer the Illini HC), and the results we are seeing sure aren't for lack of effort. If you've ever poured your heart and soul into something only to have it not work out for one reason or another, you have to feel for the guy at least a little bit. I don't know if I would show such grace and be able to keep competing knowing that my fate was probably sealed, let alone get a bunch of 19-22 YOs (okay, Tracy's 25) who probably know the same thing to buy in and keep fighting.

I am ready for a change, but at the same time I can't help but root for Groce. A total class act. I will cheer for the team to win every game they play.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I am ready for us to have a new HC, but did anyone else get a little choked up watching Groce's Iowa post-game presser? It's got to be so tough coaching when you pretty much know your fate. I think he's genuinely moved that his guys are still fighting for him.

I know that he is paid amazingly well, and that it's all about the results, criticism goes with the job, etc. etc. But at the end of the day, he's still a person and has a young family (young boys who will probably be crushed when their Dad is no longer the Illini HC), and the results we are seeing sure aren't for lack of effort. If you've ever poured your heart and soul into something only to have it not work out for one reason or another, you have to feel for the guy at least a little bit. I don't know if I would show such grace and be able to keep competing knowing that my fate was probably sealed, let alone get a bunch of 19-22 YOs (okay, Tracy's 25) who probably know the same thing to buy in and keep fighting.

I am ready for a change, but at the same time I can't help but root for Groce. A total class act. I will cheer for the team to win every game they play.

Amen. Those kids... Can you imagine your old man in a revered position like that, and failing? And having to go to school in town?

I really feel for the guy.

Amen. Those kids... Can you imagine your old man in a revered position like that, and failing? And having to go to school in town?

I really feel for the guy.

Agreed. My kids go to school with Darrell Hazell's son, and I felt horrible for him the Monday after he was fired from Purdue. Their family's future is looking up though.

A total class act
The contrast between Groce's sinking ship and Weber's sinking ship is just so, so stark. I am so grateful, once again, that Groce is conducting himself with the utmost professionalism, ladder notwithstanding.

breadman

Herndon, VA
OK all you imaginative Illini fans. Michael Wilbon just signed off his PTI show just now with a "We will crush the Illini", this after stating that road games are difficult games in the conference this year. Need somebody to go get that tape and do something with it!! Hurry up, the game is about to start!! Get it up on the bulletin board!!

Status
Not open for further replies.