Pregame: Illinois vs Notre Dame, Wednesday, December 2nd, 8:15pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of empty seats on stubhub...little bit depressing. I can't go but I ask anyone who is going to be loud. This team needs it. Too much work for little result can be depressing and we need to show the Illini we still have hope.

Realize our team is struggling, but how can this game not be sold out? ND, SFC renovation, LouDo court dedication, national TV, nice weather for December. Disappointing.
It is also the true home opener against ND.

But on the other hand, I suspect most of the younger fans don't really know who Lou is, it's a mid-week game on national TV which makes it more tempting to stay home and not travel, nice weather for December isn't something you plan ahead for.

But still disappointing as shots at ND don't come often.

I expect some people to disagree, but I definitely think that Groce should get a free pass for the season. Expectations should be low now. It doesn't mean that we can't make the tournament, but he shouldn't be crucified if they don't. We could have a very very good team next year. It'll be interesting to see how Groce changes his lineups to accommodate such a huge blow.
I don't think Groce is the right man for the job, so I would view this similar to the football situation of just "kicking the can down the road."

I do agree with you, though, that this is very likely to happen.

I agreed. After watching most of the Big10-ACC games I was struck with how much athleticism the stronger teams have.

We have to put our five most athletic players on the court and hope for the best. It that living and dying with a lot of three's, that may be our best chance of winning.
"five most athletic players.."
DJW and KN are top 2 in that regard I believe.

I got an email saying student tickets were $15 for this game. Do students who buy single game tickets also sit next to the court now? I know in years past they sat in C section.

Belleville / Champaign
I got an email saying student tickets were $15 for this game. Do students who buy single game tickets also sit next to the court now? I know in years past they sat in C section.
Single game student tickets will be in the 200 level. All student season ticket holders are considered Orange Krush this year and have access to the lower bowl, which is different than the way it was done in the past.

I'm honestly surprised by the optimism. I wish I shared it. Notre Dame will hit some threes and dominate the offensive glass. I think we'll be out of it by the half.

Iowa State was the first game I watched this year, and I saw a lot of the same things I've seen for years. A lack of an offensive game plan, anyone without the ball standing still, poor perimeter defense (particularly off the ball), and poor rebounding at crucial times. We are good enough to hang with tough teams from time to time, but lack the consistency, talent, and discipline to play with better teams on a regular basis.
C'mon man Iowa St. is one of the best teams in the country. I thought we played really well until the last 10 mins of the game. If Thorne would of been available for the second half it would have been a different game. I agree the perimeter defense is a concern though , but Iowa St was 6-25 from 3. Perimeter defense was not what cost us the game. Rebounding and poor shot selection(last 10 mins) is what cost us the game. If we stay even with ND in rebounds, i like our chances. Having said that rebounding without Thorne will be tough. Illini win 68-64

Mike Thomas is going to be at the game tonight per WDWS.
Yeah, he's going to be called out to the court at halftime to be congratulated for his accomplishments.

On an unrelated note, Duracell is giving out free D batteries to the first 10,000 Illini fans who show up to the game.

I think, I hope we play well. This is an exciting time in Illini hoops. We may have the injury bug, but we have a lot players here to be excited about.

I'm hoping we don't lose in the most Illini way possible tonight and that would be DJAX's buddy who was offered by the Irish comes in and hits a game winner. :)

C'mon man Iowa St. is one of the best teams in the country. I thought we played really well until the last 10 mins of the game. If Thorne would of been available for the second half it would have been a different game. I agree the perimeter defense is a concern though , but Iowa St was 6-25 from 3. Perimeter defense was not what cost us the game. Rebounding and poor shot selection(last 10 mins) is what cost us the game. If we stay even with ND in rebounds, i like our chances. Having said that rebounding without Thorne will be tough. Illini win 68-64
I personally think we need to adopt a zone or box and one defense (put KN on opponents' best shooter) going Fwd this year.

We just have too little interior one on one D capacity to compete with most lineups going fwd.

Washington, DC
On an unrelated note, Duracell is giving out free D batteries to the first 10,000 Illini fans who show up to the game.
Wow. I've never heard of giving potential weapons to ticketholders before. If this was tried in a European or S American soccer match, more than half of the batteries would end up on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.