Pregame: Illinois vs Ohio State, Wednesday, December 5th, 6:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta wonder if the players have a clue as to what is going on. Frazier, says he thinks ILL is one of the best offensive teams in the country after beating Valley State and Kipper says after NEB game that team is close to being a great ball club.
What we say or think doesnt mean a damn thing, as long as the players believe in what they are doing, which makes me believe BU still has this team mentally

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_50483fda-b0a3-5b60-a4e9-a1f9ac2c8043.html

There’s a laundry list of things that Brad Underwood wasn’t happy with after Sunday’s loss at Nebraska.

“We’re going to have to be on our best offensively,” Underwood said. “We have to execute. We have to cut hard. We’ve been talking ad nauseam with our guys about toughness. We’re not tough enough. We are not tough enough. It’s a toughness to be disciplined enough to execute. We didn’t do that at Nebraska.

Though there is some frustration — not discouragement — at times among the Illini, there’s not a lack of confidence with a Top 25 team immediately ahead in the schedule

“I feel like we were playing good defensively, but we’ve got to play a little bit tougher and turn it up a notch,” Dosunmu said of what the team learned. “Big Ten play is a different animal than regular games. Teams are more physical, there are more scouts out and more information out. We have to get stronger and we have to get bigger and we have to get tough.”

Deleted member 29907

D
Just throwing this out there: The combined record of the 6 teams we've played and lost to : 40 - 8 with Xavier having 3 (2 in Maui) of those losses, Sure its early and many could be cupcake starts to the season but ND played Oklahoma close last night at a neutral court. As has been stated - very tough schedule to start a year (mostly away from home) with a young team and only 4 returning players. Let's hope time pulls it together.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Just throwing this out there: The combined record of the 6 teams we've played and lost to : 40 - 8 with Xavier having 3 (2 in Maui) of those losses, Sure its early and many could be cupcake starts to the season but ND played Oklahoma close last night at a neutral court. As has been stated - very tough schedule to start a year (mostly away from home) with a young team and only 4 returning players. Let's hope time pulls it together.

This does help put things in perspective, and I do try to take them into consideration. I just wish that the games were closer against some of those teams, and I would like to see some adjustments. However, maybe the adjustments are that the team starts to play the system better.

IllFanInMi

I

For me the concern is that the schedule isn’t getting any easier. Aside from the few non-con games coming up, the schedule gets harder. Actually these non-con games will tell us a great deal about where this team is at as these teams are all plus 500 and don’t appear to be gimmes.

Playing a tough non-con schedule has negatively impacted the W-L record so far, but it may very well positively impact it later by preparing them better for the Big schedule. When it’s all said and done our season record will obviously tell us all we need to know.

I understand why some do, but I’m not looking at the tough non-con schedule as entirely negative, it could likely be the means to the end of winning the close games we have struggled to win the last year plus.

Game reps end up being a very small part of development. If a kid is completely lost, playing him in games isn't going to magically make him learn. All it does is hurt the team. You learn in practice and earn playing time in practice. That's how you grow.

People are seriously blowing this way out of proportion. Tyler is averaging 5 min per game with the great majority of that coming in garbage time or against bad opponents. Tev Jones or Griffin missing a couple minutes of game time has basically zero effect on their learning curve.

You going to stick with that? Tyler is playing when he shouldn't be. This is a joke. Underwood wants to talk toughness, maybe talk strategy. Talk getting open looks on offense. Talk turnovers. Talk recruiting. Talk players play players (JFG). Tyler Underwood and all walk ons belong on the bench. Period.

Deleted member 16068

D
Man, I just want us to be relevant again.
I use to get excited a day before the game. Now I can't even bring myself to watch as I am apathetic.
I find myself checking my phone waiting for something good to happen in a game.
My 12 year old kid, god bless him, watches every single second and keeps telling me we are going to win the next one.
I would love to win this game and try to start turning our season around. HOPE IS A GOOD THING!!

So from the article above, opponents have made 153 free throws to our 79. Over 8 games that means we're spotting every team we play about 9-10 points. If we can just clean up that one issue, it would make a big difference. It's tough to win when you hand the other team 9 points.

What is tevian Jones status?
tenor.gif

Hmm, I predict:
1) Abysmal attendance overall
2) This game will be deafeningly silent OR pro-Ohio State.
3) We foul 20+ times
4) We lose

What is tevian Jones status?

Wasn't he one of the guys we saw a plan laid out from his recruiting visit where it shows how they will develop him this year, start him and he becomes star next year, then goes pro?

For sure. Our losses aren't bad at all, it just sucks that we couldn't have pulled one of them out. If we would have just predictably lost to Gonzaga, Iowa State and Nebraska but gotten a little luckier (like a healthy Frazier leads us past Georgetown and Trent's three goes in vs. Notre Dame), we are a drastically different 4-4. 4-4 gives us a chance to "gel" and get hot and potentially even finish the non-conference season 9-4 with an upset of OSU and still have Tourney hopes. As it stands now, our season is all but over, barring a drastic turnaround. :( That's what's so upsetting.

Don't get me wrong, I will watch all year and - assuming we see significant improvement by the end of the year and we look cohesive - I am absolutely still on the Underwood train; I really like some of our players.

Beating a ranked OSU team would go a long way for this "turnaround!"

Parking at the United Center?
There will be at least 3 people at the game tonight.:giggle:
Booked parking for $9 at 1640 W Jackson. (Compared to $22-$29). Does anyone have any experience with this location. Wondering why it is so cheap.
FYI for anyone else you can book at
https://spothero.com/chicago/united...-illini-basketball-12-05-2018?referrer=widget
I've parked here at least 3 times, never had any issues, my best guess for cheapness is distance to UC, which isn't bad, but obviously not as close as lots directly attached.

Parking at the United Center?
There will be at least 3 people at the game tonight.:giggle:
Booked parking for $9 at 1640 W Jackson. (Compared to $22-$29). Does anyone have any experience with this location. Wondering why it is so cheap.
FYI for anyone else you can book at
https://spothero.com/chicago/united...-illini-basketball-12-05-2018?referrer=widget

I usually find street parking around that area and have never had a problem. I’d guess that it’s cheaper because it’s another block or 2 away from the UC and it’s cold outside

Women's basketball plays at 7PM on BTN+. If I find this game getting out of hand by then, I may just switch to the stream of the ladies taking on the Sycamores...that should at least be a win for Illini basketball with the way the ladies have been playing lately...

For sure. Our losses aren't bad at all, it just sucks that we couldn't have pulled one of them out. If we would have just predictably lost to Gonzaga, Iowa State and Nebraska but gotten a little luckier (like a healthy Frazier leads us past Georgetown and Trent's three goes in vs. Notre Dame), we are a drastically different 4-4. 4-4 gives us a chance to "gel" and get hot and potentially even finish the non-conference season 9-4 with an upset of OSU and still have Tourney hopes. As it stands now, our season is all but over, barring a drastic turnaround. :( That's what's so upsetting.

Don't get me wrong, I will watch all year and - assuming we see significant improvement by the end of the year and we look cohesive - I am absolutely still on the Underwood train; I really like some of our players.

Beating a ranked OSU team would go a long way for this "turnaround!"

The comeback against ND was heartening.

Given where we're at, I'll set a pretty crappy, but measurable goal: I hope the team finishes 2 games out of last place. We play Rutgers at home, so that should be 1 of them. Gotta find another on the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.