Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ33

San Francisco
SF8MzIP.gif

Dan

Admin
Groce previews Penn State

Groce: Did some really good things against a good team on Tuesday night. Consistency of defense was really good.

Groce: Ball movement was really good and we made shots, which certainly helps.

Groce: Now we got to come back from a mindset and bring it again tomorrow at 1 o'clock. That's a choice.

Groce: Penn State got us pretty good in 1H in Game 1. we just didn't have enough time or gas left in 2h

Groce: PSU athletic and long, coming off a great win at home against Maryland. Young guys continue to grow and improve

Groce: Hill expending a lot of energy defensively. He's guarding PGs, 2s, 3s. We've moved him around. Best D of his career

Groce: Te'Jon grading out as high as any perimeter freshman in my time here

Groce: Kipper's done some great things for us defensively with his size, athleticism, strength and versatility.

Groce on 8-man rotation. We play it by ear, as we do every game. Liked it the other day for that game. Doesn't mean that's locked in

Groce: Didn't expect only to play Aaron Jordan 4 minutes after starting. Rotated guys in and they played really well.

Groce: Knew Te'Jon would be good on the ball defensively. Tough kid. Mentally tough.

Groce: Te'Jon has picked up the defensive system, responsibilities pretty quick. Usually hard to get freshmen to buy into D

Groce on Aaron Jordan: From effort and attitude perspective, he's been tremendous. Starting him was best for our team.

Groce: JCL had most complete game of his career againsts NW

https://twitter.com/JWernerScout

[youtube]CvIPixN1XAU[/youtube]

That's high praise for TJL. He's been reading this board after all! :p

EDIT: lol @ video title

Last edited:
drinks coffee.......LOL

Interesting comment on Hill. I'd noticed what seems like much better defense from him and had noticed him guarding a variety of ppl. I wonder if that has something to do with his shooting woes (lot of those 3s have looked like all arm lately, especially late game).

What's crazy about hill is the last 2 games many of us come away thinking he played an awful game but the stats:

NW: 14 pts, 9 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block
Mn: 13 pts, 4 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals (but 5-18 shooting)

Outside of the poor shooting i think hil is giving us a heck of a lot even in this "slump"

He's also among the big 10 leaders in assists in b10 games and assist to TO ratio...one of the few non guards up there

Also among leaders in D rebounding..

drinks coffee.......LOL

Interesting comment on Hill. I'd noticed what seems like much better defense from him and had noticed him guarding a variety of ppl. I wonder if that has something to do with his shooting woes (lot of those 3s have looked like all arm lately, especially late game).

What's crazy about hill is the last 2 games many of us come away thinking he played an awful game but the stats:

NW: 14 pts, 9 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block
Mn: 13 pts, 4 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals (but 5-18 shooting)

Outside of the poor shooting i think hil is giving us a heck of a lot even in this "slump"

He's also among the big 10 leaders in assists in b10 games and assist to TO ratio...one of the few non guards up there

Also among leaders in D rebounding..

Hill is really underappreciated, even by us of late. He's been really solid, even in this 'down' year, but has seemingly has been forcing it a bit because he wants to win. It's been a little hard to stomach for me because I really want to see him be successful and get an NCAAT, but not looking like he will.

Hill is really underappreciated, even by us of late. He's been really solid, even in this 'down' year, but has seemingly has been forcing it a bit because he wants to win. It's been a little hard to stomach for me because I really want to see him be successful and get an NCAAT, but not looking like he will.

The problem is this team has needed so much from him in order to be successful. It is hard to ask a player to guard the opposition's best player and then be the sole creator on offense. He also has seemed to try to force his offense at times. Probably because he feels he has too. Hopefully with TJL emerging as a play maker will allow Hill to do what he does best on offense and finish this year strong.

The problem is this team has needed so much from him in order to be successful. It is hard to ask a player to guard the opposition's best player and then be the sole creator on offense. He also has seemed to try to force his offense at times. Probably because he feels he has too. Hopefully with TJL emerging as a play maker will allow Hill to do what he does best on offense and finish this year strong.

I think another aspect of the problem is we don't seem to put him in positions to be successful without forcing. I feel like he should be run off more screens for mid range buckets, curls going to the basket, post touches for his step back fadeaway (that would put him at like 12-15 ft instead of like 18 when he isos off the dribble on a quick guy and cant get into the paint), etc,

The other problem is not having a guy like nunn to take the pressure off.

Agreed on TJL's development being key for MH going forward.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]q4S4WReKhcc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]VWOfi5OFcYw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]nCU6poqPxfg[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]BdmnF_YWZP0[/YOUTUBE]

They also won the Maui Tournament and beat the following teams
#10 Gonzaga on the Road
#8 Ohio State
#1 Indiana

Not even remotely the same resume if they win out sadly :(

Yup, 3 T10 wins there and 0-6 T25 this year without another T25 on the horizon?

:mad:

Taking my son to his first game tomorrow. Anywhere good to eat breakfast or lunch before the game? Also any opportunities to get pics with the players before or after the game? Thank you

If this is technically on the wrong thread I don't want to hear it cause I want nothing more than the Illini to run the table and end with a last 4 in berth starting with this win vs Penn St. However, from a sports phych. aspect this is something that has come to my mind throughout groces career. I feel that he is almost too animated at times (which we all love) but when losing he can't keep that momentum. With college students this has to result in major highs and lows in games example being our blowout losses...I see a much more animated groce at home opposed to away which can't send a good mental message

Sorry in advance. Out of towner who is going to the game tomorrow and was wondering where to get good food and beer?

Sorry in advance. Out of towner who is going to the game tomorrow and was wondering where to get good food and beer?

Any place is going to be busy. Downtown Champaign may be your best bet with lots of places to choose from. My favorites are Black Dog (best barbeque in town), Seven Saints (Sliders, sandwiches, salads, soups, etc. Crab cakes appetizer are the best!), Destihl ( Brew pub/restaurant with a slightly more upscale creative menu including wood fired pizza. Bacon wrapped dates appetizer are a must!), Jupiters (good pizza), and The Esquire (bar and grill food and good pizza. Free peanuts in the shell!). These are all within walking distance of each other and there are others as well. The ones listed are moderately priced and have good food. There is always Papa Del's further South on Neil St. but only go if you have a long time to hang out, as it takes a long time to get your pizza and doubly long if real busy. If downtown and want a better brew pub go the the Blind Pig's second location on Neil St. (No food but great selection of beer). First location on Walnut St. also has a great selection but none of their own beers.

Taking my son to his first game tomorrow. Anywhere good to eat breakfast or lunch before the game? Also any opportunities to get pics with the players before or after the game? Thank you

See post above for lunch. Breakfast is a bit more difficult. We have the regular kinds of places like Denny's and Perkins. Out on West Springfield Ave., El Toro Mexican restaurant has a good breakfast as does Sammy's on N. Mattis. Neither are very close to campus. Le Peep just off S. Neil St. is great but getting in will be tough as it is popular and small.

Can't help you with the last part of your query.

There is an app where you can purchase "upgrades" for a reasonable amount if this is a once in a long while thing for your son. For instance, for $19, he can sit on the bench during warm ups, or you can both do a pregame tour and root the team on from the tunnel before they come out, or you can take pics at halftime on the court, or you can shoot free throws after the game. I would imagine that the post game stuff might find you in the arena with players - who I have always found gracious with their time after the game. https://fightingillini.expapp.com/upgrade

See post above for lunch. Breakfast is a bit more difficult. We have the regular kinds of places like Denny's and Perkins. Out on West Springfield Ave., El Toro Mexican restaurant has a good breakfast as does Sammy's on N. Mattis. Neither are very close to campus. Le Peep just off S. Neil St. is great but getting in will be tough as it is popular and small.

Can't help you with the last part of your query.

Favorite for breakfast is the Courier in Urbana.

Status
Not open for further replies.