Pregame: Illinois vs Penn State, Saturday, February 23rd, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_495bfedb-1446-57e2-880d-8928e31da2b2.html

Underwood’s fixer-upper of a historic yet downtrodden program is beginning to bloom. Folks are no longer gawking from the curb. They are stopping to admire the progress of the foundation Underwood elected to level and restore using his own blueprint.

One of the most refreshing aspects of Underwood at Illinois has been his flat-out refusal to run from the monstrous expectations he inherited when he took the job he had desired for years.

The former Western Illinois assistant swapped shades of orange because Illinois offered a higher ceiling. Illinois is supposed to be a top-25 team that is a threat to the NCAA Tournament field every single season. Underwood’s stance, the same as the fans who are beginning to buy into his brand of basketball, has been clear since his introduction. It was not if Illinois would ascend again, but when.
“I have never, for one second, doubted, or do I ever doubt,” he said. “We will get back there.”

very good read

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_2db39d54-2583-5960-ad2e-5d672c6d392e.html

About a month ago — before Illinois won five of six games in a season resurgence — the Illini were flirting with the bottom of the conference themselves. But even in that stretch, Illinois knew it was better than the record indicated. The Illini were clicking on defense and improving on offense, but the results were yet to come.
Eventually, the wins came. An upset of a ranked Maryland team began a four-game winning streak that included a win over Michigan State, then ranked ninth. Their play was beginning to be reflected in their record.

“The team that we’re about to play on Saturday, they don’t stop fighting,” senior Aaron Jordan said. “They’ve lost many close games. That’s one thing that Coach is impressed with about them is their consistent effort throughout. We’ve got to bring it and protect the home.”

Illini 70
psu 64

Where does anyone say they want him before GB?

Point of the question was that he has been used when we go up against less bulky post players and honestly he’s probably more of a threat on offense than ADLR. I haven’t seen ADLR be much of a threat on offense. In fact I kind of cringe when he gets the ball as it seems to be a black hole.

On D he’s been very good against strong slower bigs. But I can only recall the charge or two against MSU. Matchups may provide an opportunity for Kane. Did BU say he wasn’t playing well in practice ? Where is that coming from ?
When was the last time he was used? Clearly BU prefers ADLR.So many on here prefer Samba it seems and I don't get it. ADLR is a much better defender, reboundes, more physical, more aware, and a 74% FT shooter vs Samba's 14%. I am not hating on Samba at all but he hasnt played in several games because BU feels he has much better options now that ADLR is healthier. I agree with him I don't think it's close. If Samba gets more PT then it will be because ADLR or GB are on the bench most likely due to fouls or injury.Also, to start the season most people were higher on Samba than GB and not ADLR and I have no idea why. IMO I hope Samba plays because if he does it will be an Illini blow out. The last time both ADLR and GB were in foul trouble BU even went deeper into the bench and played SO. BU has been given high praise to GB and ADLR for their efforts in practice and in games and when he went to SO over Samba ifor a minute or two that says a lot to me on BUs thoughts and who I expect him to play at the 5 spot in close games for this game and the remainder of this season. Samba has some agility but needs a lot of growth and development in the gym and in practice to see much time on a good B10 line up which I think we have now. I think Samba could achieve that going forward with a lot if hardwork this offseason. Go Illini.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.