Pregame: Illinois vs Penn State, Saturday, February 23rd, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9739

D
Any word on who will be returning from the 89 team?

"Several players, coaches and staff from the Flyin' Illini are expected to be in attendance for Saturday's reunion*, including Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, Kendall Gill, Lowell Hamilton, Stephen Bardo, Marcus Liberty, Larry Smith, Ervin Small and P.J. Bowman. Bardo will also be calling the game for Big Ten Network. (*returning players subject to change)"

Vegas says Illinois -2.5
Feels about right to me. These are two very evenly matched teams, despite the records. (Recall that Penn St. got jobbed in an overtime loss to Purdue, among other things.) Of note, the only team in the B1G with a tougher SoS than Illinois per Pomeroy is PSU -- they're #2, and we're #3.

Deleted member 29907

D
Goes without saying, but this would be a huge win
Sad to say, but it would be nice if a home game against a team at the bottom of the league was a lock. Yes, PSU has played alot of teams tough/close, but their only road win was NU - a team we should be 10 points better than by now.

Boy, we really need to put this team in the rear view in the last 10 minutes.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Sad to say, but it would be nice if a home game against a team at the bottom of the league was a lock. Yes, PSU has played alot of teams tough/close, but their only road win was NU - a team we should be 10 points better than by now.

Boy, we really need to put this team in the rear view in the last 10 minutes.
Not sure if any game for any team in the league is really considered "a lock" this year. No cupcakes at all.

Man, this game scares me. With the way PSU has been playing lately it will be very difficult to beat them twice. But losing to them twice would be a disaster after all the momentum we've built. And a loss here following a loss at Wisconsin could really derail our confidence and momentum. Please just win.

Penn State is a lot better than their record would indicate. They're ~15 spots ahead of us on KenPom and just blew out Nebraska. I like us to win, but it will be a tough game.

Deleted member 29907

D
I think our boys will be happy to be home and think we'll take this by 6. Brad does a pretty good job of taking the main threat away from a team and Stevens is 7 points ahead of anyone else on the team. They look to be 32% from 3 - so not huge from the outside.

Anyone else thinking we might see some Samba Kane in this game?

I have a premonition that we're going to have a good shooting day. Plan on heading down for the game, and applauding the '89 guys.

I was watching Oregon tonight and remembered how bummed I was that we didn't get Okoro and had this 3rd wheel, 300ish ranked recruit instead. I was not liking our prospects inside at all. Glad to be terribly wrong. It's funny how things worked out.
Rakocevic was playing for USC in the same game. He looked pretty good.

Gonna be a close one!
If I’m in Vegas this weekend I lay $100 on the Illini -2.5. And that’s a lot of money to me. The home crowd should be worth 10 at least. We win this 78-66.

Rakocevic was playing for USC in the same game. He looked pretty good.
I agree, but it doesn't seem like he would fit in BU's locker room, based on rumors. It seems we're blessed with young men buying into the future. Yes!

I think our boys will be happy to be home and think we'll take this by 6. Brad does a pretty good job of taking the main threat away from a team and Stevens is 7 points ahead of anyone else on the team. They look to be 32% from 3 - so not huge from the outside.

Anyone else thinking we might see some Samba Kane in this game?
Nope.
Not unless it is a blow out. Adonis and GB are playing much better on both ends of the court. I dont understand why Illini fans would want Kane in the game at the 5 nstead of one of these two. Penn Srate fans would. Adonis has played great lately on both ends. He has been drawing charges and getting steals. There is a huge gap IMO between GB, AD and Kane at least for this season. Plus, it seems like he needs to improve in practice to earn more quality minutes.

Last edited:
The players I expect to see more of are Tev and Griffin. That really seems to have been a trend lately and I expect that going forward. I'm sure we will see Kip too. But Kip only played 3 minutes at Wisconsin. Maybe that will motivate Kip. It just feels like BUis just waiting or even expecting to see Griffin shoot it in a game soon like he does in practice. He even mentioned it in the presser that it was good to see Griffin hit a 3. I get the impression BU is expecting more of them to fall and hopefully in bunches. If not this game then soon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29907

D
Nope.
Not unless it is a blow out. Adonis and GB are playing much better on both ends of the court. I dont understand why Illini fans would want Kane in the game at the 5 nstead of one of these two. Penn Srate fans would. Adonis has played great lately on both ends. He has been drawing charges and getting steals. There is a huge gap IMO between GB, AD and Kane at least for this season. Plus, it seems like he needs to improve in practice to earn more quality minutes.
Where does anyone say they want him before GB?

Point of the question was that he has been used when we go up against less bulky post players and honestly he’s probably more of a threat on offense than ADLR. I haven’t seen ADLR be much of a threat on offense. In fact I kind of cringe when he gets the ball as it seems to be a black hole.

On D he’s been very good against strong slower bigs. But I can only recall the charge or two against MSU. Matchups may provide an opportunity for Kane. Did BU say he wasn’t playing well in practice ? Where is that coming from ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.