Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Saturday, October 13th, 2:30pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just now thought of this but where was Stanley Green this past game? Adams and Brown were the starting safeties all game. With Brown moving to safety from nickelback that leads me to believe Bennett Williams might be out for some time.

VAIllini35 - AJ Bush is a great leader and he rallies his teammates around him. AJ's done a great job (and did a great job coming back after an injury too) and his run threat doesn't hurt Corbin and Epstein's stats either. You have to admit, however, AJ is run first and he does consistently throw late and throw behind his receivers. AJ is much better at hitting quick, short routes. If Corbin and Epstein continue to rack up TD's and if the defense can apply pressure to the QB, then we could be in business. Let's not all get down on our team if we do lose to Purdue. I just want to see a fun, competitive game where the kids play hard all four quarters.

Deleted member 29907

D
VAIllini35 - AJ Bush is a great leader and he rallies his teammates around him. AJ's done a great job (and did a great job coming back after an injury too) and his run threat doesn't hurt Corbin and Epstein's stats either. You have to admit, however, AJ is run first and he does consistently throw late and throw behind his receivers. AJ is much better at hitting quick, short routes. If Corbin and Epstein continue to rack up TD's and if the defense can apply pressure to the QB, then we could be in business. Let's not all get down on our team if we do lose to Purdue. I just want to see a fun, competitive game where the kids play hard all four quarters.
Oh, I am not saying he is without some faults - I just think he is playing well considering the injury and time off and is our best option. He gets happy feet when he throws at times which takes some of the accuracy and speed off the ball. He is clearly run first. Both QBs seem to miss open players - very often out in the flat (Epstein for example) or for the pitch. But I love his ability to run the ball and get us first down or manageable 3rds.

Edit: At Tech he lost out to Josh Jackson who as a Frosh, I would describe as a late sophomore or junior MJ. Better arm than AJ can run ok, but plays from the start with more maturity (coaches son).

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll help you guys out.. EMU has a four star Iowa transfer at QB and ...
I haven't been following EMU football this season. With that four star Iowa transfer QB, what are they now, 5-1, 6-0?
Illinois faced a four star Auburn transfer QB at the helm of another MAC team and took care of business. They also faced a four star Alabama transfer QB and nearly won against USF. I haven't read any Illini posters trying to use that as an excuse. Is that a Purdue thing?
That game was played in the rain which limited what they could do in terms of passing the ball.
That game was notable because it didn't rain on the four star Iowa transfer at QB, nor anyone else on EMU for that matter.
This isn’t a monster Purdue team like next season, when we lose very few starters and have a better recruiting class coming in than we’ve had in over a decade.
Wait, is ThaKid now a Purdue fan???

FT35

Naperville
Just now thought of this but where was Stanley Green this past game? Adams and Brown were the starting safeties all game. With Brown moving to safety from nickelback that leads me to believe Bennett Williams might be out for some time.

They apparently reevaluated the Secondary during the BYE week and determined that Tony Adams would be a better fit at FS than Stanley Green.

Not saying I agree/disagree with it since I'd rather see Adams in the rotation at CB but they appear to have grown tired of Green's pass protection (or lack there of). Have you noticed how often we've been beaten over the top this year? I can't remember that happening more than once all of last year and that is unacceptable to this staff. They can live with offenses carving us up with short crossing routes all game but they want guys to keep everything in front of them and not get beat on the deep pass plays.

Green is outstanding at stopping the run and forcing fumbles, but that's not what they want out of a FS.

You could also see Marchese's role diminished quite a bit.

We saw much more of S. Brown and Ware on Saturday. Brown was the SS and Ware was the NB.

I think Hobbs will take over one of the starting sports at CB and we'll see Watkins move over to NB to replace Ware. I think Martin has locked down the other CB spot.

I did notice Green playing on Special Teams but that was about it. Hard to imagine what his role on this team will be going forward. I don't know if he has the speed to even be a NB and he certainly doesn't have the size to be an OLB.

Degroot also appears to be in the doghouse (as he should be) for his stupid penalty against PSU.

I didn't see much of K. Smith but he should still be in the rotation. I think he was hurt in that collision with Harding so I don't know if he's 100%.

I'm guessing B. Williams won't be back anytime soon so he may be a RS candidate. It doesn't sound like he's anywhere close to being ready to play since he didn't even make the trip.

AJ started practicing with team at fall camp, played 1.5 games then missed 2.5 games and all that practice. Lost dudeK and carter during this time. Cgreen was suspended 3 games. So, obviously rust last week, hopefully gets more confidence/comfort, and better timing.
OL looking good, a lot of progress from last year.
Confidence builder from road win, hopefully it carries over.
Sounds like Purdue has fixed some early season issue.
Looking forward to a good game! Much better than dvr and fast forward through most of the second half!

They apparently reevaluated the Secondary during the BYE week and determined that Tony Adams would be a better fit at FS than Stanley Green.

Not saying I agree/disagree with it since I'd rather see Adams in the rotation at CB but they appear to have grown tired of Green's pass protection (or lack there of). Have you noticed how often we've been beaten over the top this year? I can't remember that happening more than once all of last year and that is unacceptable to this staff. They can live with offenses carving us up with short crossing routes all game but they want guys to keep everything in front of them and not get beat on the deep pass plays.

Green is outstanding at stopping the run and forcing fumbles, but that's not what they want out of a FS.

You could also see Marchese's role diminished quite a bit.

We saw much more of S. Brown and Ware on Saturday. Brown was the SS and Ware was the NB.

I think Hobbs will take over one of the starting sports at CB and we'll see Watkins move over to NB to replace Ware. I think Martin has locked down the other CB spot.

I did notice Green playing on Special Teams but that was about it. Hard to imagine what his role on this team will be going forward. I don't know if he has the speed to even be a NB and he certainly doesn't have the size to be an OLB.

Degroot also appears to be in the doghouse (as he should be) for his stupid penalty against PSU.

I didn't see much of K. Smith but he should still be in the rotation. I think he was hurt in that collision with Harding so I don't know if he's 100%.

I'm guessing B. Williams won't be back anytime soon so he may be a RS candidate. It doesn't sound like he's anywhere close to being ready to play since he didn't even make the trip.

I questioned Green not playing but I agree with the decision. He's not great in the pass and he forces fumbles, but he tries to force fumbles so much he tends to miss tackles. Watch his FF against PSU, no wrap up, no form, all going for the helmet on the ball. That isn't sustainable. Brown flies to ball so I like him at SS. I like Watkins aggressiveness and size at NB if he moves there. With him at corner I feel like he doesn't trust his speed or just flat out isn't fast enough and that's why he gives up so many passes underneath him when he's in man. But he does like to come up and hit. Marchese I believe was/is a walk on so no fault to him but he's just not athletic enough to get significant PT.

As a former DB I love focusing on them so it's been interesting/frustrating to say the least.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Gotta say, what a find Brown was! Same with Martin. Exhibits 1A and 1B that kids will have the opportunity to play early (should they earn it).

illiniCA

DC Area
AJ started practicing with team at fall camp, played 1.5 games then missed 2.5 games and all that practice. Lost dudeK and carter during this time. Cgreen was suspended 3 games. So, obviously rust last week, hopefully gets more confidence/comfort, and better timing.
OL looking good, a lot of progress from last year.
Confidence builder from road win, hopefully it carries over.
Sounds like Purdue has fixed some early season issue.
Looking forward to a good game! Much better than dvr and fast forward through most of the second half!

Aj has been inaccurate all year. IMO Throwing more than 15 yds is just not his strength.... but he can run

Aj has been inaccurate all year. IMO Throwing more than 15 yds is just not his strength.... but he can run
Agree, it hasn’t been good. But announcers mentioned he should have thrown the ball earlier in some of these deeper routes, and ends up being underthrown. Hopefully makes the decision faster, therefore shorter deep ball, and ends up not being underthrown/ inaccurate/ 50-50 ball. Not sure if it will change, but hopefully it will with practice and this set of receivers. On more negative side, Smalling has been practicing with all Bush reps and timing not there either.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Agree, it hasn’t been good. But announcers mentioned he should have thrown the ball earlier in some of these deeper routes, and ends up being underthrown. Hopefully makes the decision faster, therefore shorter deep ball, and ends up not being underthrown/ inaccurate/ 50-50 ball. Not sure if it will change, but hopefully it will with practice and this set of receivers. On more negative side, Smalling has been practicing with all Bush reps and timing not there either.

With Dudek, Meadors, and Carter all out, I’m guessing Smalling is getting the pleasure of drawing the opposing teams best CB/safety/LB combo.

It might be tough to get his catches all year.

Wow, that stat about our rushing yards from last season being surpassed is crazy. I am still riding the high from getting a Big Ten road win (last done at Rutgers in 2016 ... before that at Purdue in 2015 ... a sign?? LOL), but this Purdue game is going to be very tough. I think I saw we opened at +8? This would be a monumental win for the program. With it being homecoming, I would hope it would be a decent crowd (50,000+) ... but it is supposed to potentially rain, which could help us in another - and possibly much more important - way! :cool:

I want to have faith this team can beat the PU's, Neb's, and Minny's of the B1G, but they just seem like a different animal that Rutgers. the USF and PSU games were so encouraging too. It can probably be said about 90% of games, but if we can win the turnover battle, I see us competing with everyone minus top tier teams.

Illinisteve25

Champaign
Our rushing attack should help us control the clock a little and keep Purdue off the field. Also our special teams has been good about winning the field position battle. Also the fact that its homecoming, Gray Ghost Unis, and what should be a decent crowd weather permitting will help. Hoping with all that and a turnover or two will help us to win the game. PurDont 28 ILLINI 31

BZuppke

Plainfield
I disagree. The gg uniforms are a newer tradition, the players like them and if it gets them jacked all the better. Tradition includes adding new traditions. Think of the Jump Around, Enter the Sandman and other things that have developed at schools. It enhances the game.

Dan

Admin
Lovie Smith press conference
https://twitter.com/JWerner247

Lovie: We haven't been over .500 in Big Ten since we've been here. We've got to zoom in microscopically on what we're doing right now.

Lovie: Sydney Brown and Tony Adams "loved what they did." Nate Hobbs stepped up.

Lovie: Not pleased with everything we're doing defensively, but we have to continue to keep taking the ball away.

Lovie: Love what our offense is doing. AJ Bush helped. Ability to run and scramble is great.

Star of the game was the offensive line. Got our RBs to the second level.

Lovie: Turnover ratio (+8) is "about as good as anyone"

Lovie: Our players realize what we're playing for, the Cannon this week. Need a great college atmosphere in our stadium this week. Looking forward to showing our alumni our progress.

Lovie: Productive Year One for Brohm. Second year in the system, we expected them to take a step. They added a "special player" in Rondale Moore. "Lot of different ways they can attack you."

Lovie: "It has been disappointing the amount of pressure we put on opponents."

Lovie said they'll do what they need to do to get more pressure but said it's mostly about winning more one-on-one battles.

Lovie: I think Quan Martin has good ball skills. His INT was "just a good play to get in position" and then he finished it.

Lovie: Nate Hobbs has the skill set we look for in a corner. He got his first INT and we were on him about that. As good of a play was that third-down tackle.

Lovie: Want to see "improved play" from Lou Dorsey. Mentions Wally Pipp. "Don't let someone move in and take your position (Daniel Barker). ...Normally if you're a good football player, we'll find a role for you." Keep working and he can find a role.

Lovie: We want all our defensive backs to have corner skills to be able to cover. Adams and Brown give us more flexibility back there.

Lovie: "Reggie Corbin can make you miss in the open field." He's had consistency this year and has grinded away.

Lovie: "We needed to get a win in the worst way. Rutgers was in front of us, just like Purdue is this week. You need to have a miscroscope in front of us and we do now. Big win for us, though."

Lovie: Still could make a case that Epstein caught the ball. "Everyone associated with the University of Illinois thought it was a catch."

Officials never cost you the game. Mike will tell you he should've held onto the ball.

Lovie: WRs have done a better job of blocking down the field.

(Carmoni Green had a great one)

Lovie: "Very pleased" with AJ's performance. "But that's how I've been with AJ since I've been here. ...We can do a lot of things with him."

Hard to account for running QB.

Lovie: Rondale Moore "poses a lot of problems to any defense. I know he's a true freshman and it's early to talk about him this way, but he's as impressive as any player we've seen."

Lovie: "I think we are getting better. We're a better football team. We have so much farther to go. I'm just looking forward to taking mroe steps this week. ...We're not a finished product by any mean.s"

Lovie: Milan played more than we thought he would. Big man, athletic. He can be disruptive. But he's not in any type of football shape. We'll need him to take another step.

I disagree. The gg uniforms are a newer tradition, the players like them and if it gets them jacked all the better. Tradition includes adding new traditions. Think of the Jump Around, Enter the Sandman and other things that have developed at schools. It enhances the game.

I have no problem with doing the GGs ... I just think they need orange trim or really just anything orange at all.

This isn’t a monster Purdue team like next season, when we lose very few starters and have a better recruiting class coming in than we’ve had in over a decade. It’s a so so team with great coaching and a few playmakers... but it will win on Saturday and fall between 5-7 and 7-5 by seasons end

I have never heard of this mythical creature known as a "monster Purdue team".

Status
Not open for further replies.