Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Saturday, October 13th, 2:30pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beating Purdue shall be all that much sweeter after reading the 2 posts above.

What’s so bad. I came in as a fan of a schoil favored by ten and predicted a 7 point win if we play above average. Then I got this “your just purdue” crap from fans of a program that we could actually say that to.. 12-5 in the last 20 years, won last year, favored this year. But like Indiana fans you’re just like “well we have to be better than you, right? Cause we are us and you’re you.” Even though nothing bears that out lol...

Deleted member 29907

D
Well yeah, it’s not a national championship program. Relative to our standing (and Illinois whom Purdue is 12-5 against since tiller was hired/I began as a Purdue student), those are really good years. Seems kind of odd to have this arrogance against a program that is considered better (10 point favorites at your place), has a better outlook (no one thinks lovie, even improved is anywhere near Brohm as a coach - AND at 2-3 other programs in the big ten can save the delusions that LSU wants to swoop in and steal Brohm - AND Louisville is already on the hook for 46 million in buyouts to their AD and pitino and would owe Bobby P. 14 million in a buyout if fired now, so that ain’t happening either), and has dominated you in the last 20 years (to be fair, down 1 win overall - too bad red grange won’t be out there).

I showed a healthy fear of what your team can do, but you can save this “well mean we ARE Illinois after all, and you’re just purdue, so we have to be better, right??”

You will only win if our guys come out looking forward to osu, show no progress against the zone read and blough gets blindsided staying in the pocket AND leaves the pocket to early all day. If those things happen 34-27 Illini.
Its not arrogance. It amazes me when fans from other boards come in to any board and expect the other team fans to bow down in praise of their team, let alone Purdue. Glad to see you're already making excuses if you lose. I am sure you won't be back if you do. Illini fans are clear on what we have and where we are, just don't expect us to be in awe of a middle of the pack team. 10 point spread, how did our 10 point spread work out for Rutgers? We just might be a tad better than expected by the casual observer.

Its not arrogance. It amazes me when fans from other boards come in to any board and expect the other team fans to bow down in praise of their team, let alone Purdue. Glad to see you're already making excuses if you lose. I am sure you won't be back if you do. Illini fans are clear on what we have and where we are, just don't expect us to be in awe of a middle of the pack team. 10 point spread, how did our 10 point spread work out for Rutgers? We just might be a tad better than expected by the casual observer.

Praise no.. never expected that. I didn’t praise Illinois. I also didn’t say “Illinois has never been great”.. which sounds particularly hilarious from a program that is objectively worse than us.

Praise? I’d settle for lacking jingoism... as I didn’t come in here like “oh yeah, Purdue 42-illinois 20.”

Go to Purdue rivals (only here cause no Illinois rivals free board). You’ll see a board where you can expect fans to be pretty realistic and even praise our opponents. Lots of people scared about this game.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Speaking of red shirting, anybody have the list of who Lovie picked to be our red shirts? Kind of curious about that.

the national

the Front Range
Praise no.. never expected that. I didn’t praise Illinois. I also didn’t say “Illinois has never been great”.. which sounds particularly hilarious from a program that is objectively worse than us.

Praise? I’d settle for lacking jingoism... as I didn’t come in here like “oh yeah, Purdue 42-illinois 20.”

Go to Purdue rivals (only here cause no Illinois rivals free board). You’ll see a board where you can expect fans to be pretty realistic and even praise our opponents. Lots of people scared about this game.

Honestly, both Illinois and Purdue have been terrible in the last ten years. Yes you beat us but that is hardly an accomplishment. You bragging about your success against us is quite funny actually. Illinois has had a historically rough stretch, which puts us in the perfect spot to surprise a few people, including your Brohm-led precious boilermakers.

What I have learned:
Purdue's defense is great despite being ranked 80+ in the S+P
Judging Purdue based on Week 2 is stupid, but judging Illinois based on Week 3 is proper
Someone actually thinks beating Illinois in the last decade is something worth bragging about

I don't think this is a good matchup for us. I like their offense against our bend but don't break defense. If I thought we could win time of possession, I would say we could win. We won't, so we'll have to win the turnover battle convincingly.

wILL-INI

Charlotte, NC
What I have learned:
Judging Purdue based on Week 2 is stupid, but judging Illinois based on Week 3 is proper
Someone actually thinks beating Illinois in the last decade is something worth bragging about

I don't think this is a good matchup for us. I like their offense against our bend but don't break defense. If I thought we could win time of possession, I would say we could win. We won't, so we'll have to win the turnover battle convincingly.

Whoa whoa whoa... I think you mean 12-5 since some arbitrary date he pulled out of his .....

FT35

Naperville
Speaking of red shirting, anybody have the list of who Lovie picked to be our red shirts? Kind of curious about that.

Robert from Illiniboard put together this chart:

1539093151175.png

Avery, Barker, Joseph, Martin, Tolson and Sandy have already played five games, so their redshirts are burned.

Ware, Wyatt, Holmes (walk on), and S. Brown will most certainly get there.

AJ Bush isn't going to take all of the QB snaps for 6 of the 7 remaining games even if he stays healthy, so Rivers should get to 5+ games. Robinson should be limited to less than 5 games if possible.

Overall, the staff appears to doing a good job of distributing playing time to Freshmen that we either need to play because they are the best options or because they have to be out there due to depth issues. The only one I'd quibble about is Tolson since he's been primarily for Special Teams, but that may have been part of the recruiting pitch to him.

Avery probably should have been redshirted but there are obvious depth issues that forced us to play him.

Credit to Robert at Illiniboard for putting this together.

I can't say I'm expecting to win this game, but I will be bummed if we don't cover the +10.5
I'm expecting to win. I realize we may not, but I am expecting to win. I'm actually insulted by the 10.5 spread and have wondered why no one else has mentioned being insulted by it. 'dogs by 3 or 4 I could handle. But 10.5?

Deleted member 29907

D

I think we're probably overly "realistic" with this team - heck, one of our most ardent writers predicted a miserable loss at Rutgers.

You are expecting too much if you think you can come on to another team's board and tell them how your team is going to beat them. Do you walk up to opposing team fans before the game and start to discuss how you will or won't beat them? People you don't know? And not that you asked, but just for more feedback 'lol'ing your answers is 1) immature, and 2) used to disrespect. So, while you may not see it, much of your tone in the discussion from the start has been obnoxious. Don't be surprised disregard the points you're trying to make.

I'm expecting to win. I realize we may not, but I am expecting to win. I'm actually insulted by the 10.5 spread and have wondered why no one else has mentioned being insulted by it. 'dogs by 3 or 4 I could handle. But 10.5?

We frankly haven't had a good performance yet. We're 95th in the F/+ rankings and that seems pretty accurate based on what I've seen. There's a better performance lurking in there somewhere, but we haven't seen it.

Having said all of that, I'm not buying this "Purdue is actually good" stuff whatsoever, and with their home game against Ohio State getting picked for an ABC night game next week, this just became Trap Game City for them.

It's a big test. We are going to learn a lot about both teams in this game. College football is wonderful.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
If Illinois beats Purdue, this team can win six. But they haven't shown me enough to convince me they can accomplish either of those.

That secondary shakeup (which I LOVE) is the X-Factor this week—and the rest of the season really. Brown is faster, a better coverage guy and a surer tackler than Green. Adams is rangier and more athletic than Marchese. Martin gets better every game, Watkins is a natural Nickel and Hobbs seems to be earning his spot back as a starter. With better coverage, maybe we see some more blitzes from the SS and Nickel spots...I think Brown and Watkins have some natural ability there.

Those guys are learning the positions, but IMO they're finally where they belong.

Illinisteve25

Champaign
Did a little research since our Purdue fan loves numbers.. Current 2018 record Illinois 3-2, PurDont 2-3. Then got bored and looked at both schedules and they seem to be pretty similar. Not stopping there, I then looked at opposing teams played records. Illini opponents are 13-14 PurDont 11-16. Not saying we will win just see this game as more of a toss up. Spread seems a touchdown too hi. I for one just cant wait for the actual game! Go ILLINI!

Well yeah, it’s not a national championship program. Relative to our standing (and Illinois whom Purdue is 12-5 against since tiller was hired/I began as a Purdue student), those are really good years. Seems kind of odd to have this arrogance against a program that is considered better (10 point favorites at your place), has a better outlook (no one thinks lovie, even improved is anywhere near Brohm as a coach - AND at 2-3 other programs in the big ten can save the delusions that LSU wants to swoop in and steal Brohm - AND Louisville is already on the hook for 46 million in buyouts to their AD and pitino and would owe Bobby P. 14 million in a buyout if fired now, so that ain’t happening either), and has dominated you in the last 20 years (to be fair, down 1 win overall - too bad red grange won’t be out there).

Ok. I will stop after this. Just want to point out that I never said anything about how good the Illini are or whether they are better than Purdue. I was just mocking the fact that anybody would claim there were "Montster Purdue teams" in the past. Seems that Purdue is on the rise. So are the Illini. Maybe one or both of teams will become a monster in the next few seasons.

Back on topic (kind of), that USF loss is really stinging right about now ... we had that game, and if we had just hung on, we'd likely have a win over a possibly ranked team and a 4-1 (1-1) record heading into this huge game with Purdue. Yes, I know, USF wouldn't be ranked NOW if they lost to us, but given their schedule and probable record, they would be eventually. Oh well, hopefully it was a learning experience. Going forward, I can honestly see this as a ceiling for this season (I won't bother with the floor, because we should all know that could be winning 0-1 more games):

W vs. Purdue
L at Wisconsin
L at Maryland
W vs. Minnesota
W at Nebraska
W vs. Iowa
L at Northwestern

Feel free to swap beating Iowa/NU and losing to one of UMD/Minny/UNL, but I can honestly see this team achieving a 7-5 (5-4) record this year if they can upset Purdue. That would be nothing short of phenomenal progress for this program going into year 4 of Lovie, IMO. I am still expecting 5 wins, personally, but the point is that it's not impossible to go bowling this year, and that should excite all of us. So much depends on this game, though, and that's tough because Purdue is a good team and will be well rested, and their strengths are our weaknesses.

On a side note after hearing Lovie reference the cannon, we either have a trophy game or were a former protected rival with the following teams in the Big Ten:

Indiana
Northwestern
Ohio State
Purdue

Kind of a random group when you consider where our fan base's hate is really concentrated. If the Missouri series gets heated up again and becomes an annual thing, I honestly think that will become our biggest rivalry, just as I now see it in basketball. Obviously, we will always have conference rivals that will "matter more," but I think it will be a South Carolina-Clemson type situation, where we care more about beating MU for personal reasons even though it's "less important" to our season. Okay, birdwalk over.

What I have learned:

Purdue’s defense is not good yet. It has good aspects. Performs very well against teams without a pass first QB and tends to give up lots of yards and points after it’s up 2 scores or more. It’s much improved from emu ... good? Not yet. Maybe not this year.

Both teams are better than week 2-3.

Relative to power programs, beating Illinois is nothing to brag about. When an Illinois fan starts talking to you like he’s a Michigan grad, what I said is relevant

we had that game

We both had that game and were comprehensively outplayed in that game. Such is life.

We have three games left against teams worse than USF (Minny, Maryland, Nebraska) and two against teams pretty comparable (Purdue, Northwestern). And the other two (Wisky, Iowa) are at least against non-elite teams who also don't do the thing that we look most awful against (spread tempo passing).

Opportunity knocks. Three wins and zero humiliations and this season is a rip-roaring success.

I think we're probably overly "realistic" with this team - heck, one of our most ardent writers predicted a miserable loss at Rutgers.

You are expecting too much if you think you can come on to another team's board and tell them how your team is going to beat them. Do you walk up to opposing team fans before the game and start to discuss how you will or won't beat them? People you don't know? And not that you asked, but just for more feedback 'lol'ing your answers is 1) immature, and 2) used to disrespect. So, while you may not see it, much of your tone in the discussion from the start has been obnoxious. Don't be surprised disregard the points you're trying to make.

Sure I’ve walked up, exchanged a few words and said what I’ve said here “I think we will win, but not as much as the spread, and you guys are better than people think.” And they tend to say “fair, we will see”, at worst.

We’ve had Ohio State fans tell us they think they are far more talented and should win, but Purdue exposes some key weaknesses and may pull another shock osu in Ross ade episode. That was also fair.

I don’t know where you guys are getting that I think that your team is the team that came into Ross ade in 2000 but ok.

Ok. I will stop after this. Just want to point out that I never said anything about how good the Illini are or whether they are better than Purdue. I was just mocking the fact that anybody would claim there were "Montster Purdue teams" in the past. Seems that Purdue is on the rise. So are the Illini. Maybe one or both of teams will become a monster in the next few seasons.

Monster is relative. Monster for Purdue... Yes, a 9-3 team that shocked by BGSU and then after that only lost to top ten Michigan, Ohio State and Georgia .. and Ohio State and Georgia in very close games, is a monster team. Would it be a monster team at Penn State.. hell no. But I also didn’t say that.

You look at this team and see blough, who will be replaced by Sindelar, leading 600 yard offensive days.. true with Rondale Moore at the slot and Brycen Hopkins at TE, both very good players. And then you say “okay, the outside receivers are two stars and two of three graduating, and they’re being replaced by four stars and high three stars, and yes, it can be a very good team.

You look at the DEs being solid but not generating a pass rush and your own and say “well they will be back, but 247#9 overall player George karlaftis comes in at SSDE and the dangerous 5.7 RR dontay hunter comes in at the opposite side, and yes, for us, it has a chance to be a monster year.”

FWIW I expect Illinois to get better and better as well. I think to not be a decent team in the big ten, you’re almost going to have to actively try like Rutgers or have delusions of grandeur like buddahaw the Nebraska fan

Last edited:

Illinisteve25

Champaign
Monster is relative. Monster for Purdue... Yes, a 9-3 team that shocked by BGSU and then after that only lost to top ten Michigan, Ohio State and Georgia .. and Ohio State and Georgia in very close games, is a monster team. Would it be a monster team at Penn State.. hell no. But I also didn’t say that.

You look at this team and see blough, who will be replaced by Sindelar, leading 600 yard offensive days.. true with Rondale Moore at the slot and Brycen Hopkins at TE, both very good players. And then you say “okay, the outside receivers are two stars and two of three graduating, and they’re being replaced by four stars and high three stars, and yes, it can be a very good team.

You look at the DEs being solid but not generating a pass rush and your own and say “well they will be back, but 247#9 overall player George karlaftis comes in at SSDE and the dangerous 5.7 RR dontay hunter comes in at the opposite side, and yes, for us, it has a chance to be a monster year.”

FWIW I expect Illinois to get better and better as well. I think to not be a decent team in the big ten, you’re almost going to have to actively try like Rutgers or have delusions of grandeur like buddahaw the Nebraska fan

Or hire Tim Beckman..

Status
Not open for further replies.