Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Saturday, October 13th, 2:30pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
S+P still has some preseason numbers in it. Should be minimal now (I think they are gone after week 7), but that may be assisting Nebraska still.

Too bad everyone can't play Penn State. How much does the quality of competition affect the S&P? If EMU wasn't able to move the ball as easily against Penn State as they could against Purdue, would the level of competition somehow get factored into the ratings? (I know they have a 4 star Iowa transfer QB, so of course they would move the ball just as easily against Penn State. This is purely hypothetical just to understand the ratings.)

S&P ignores stats once garbage time is entered. That goes both ways. It's obviously not a perfect model, I'd imagine even to this point a lot of the rankings are based on last seasons performance/returning players/incoming talent. S&P is an efficiency rating, not necessarily a tool to determine who should win/lose a game. I'm not as familiar with it, but Sagarin is another rating system. Maybe for comparison's sake, it's more interesting to look at. We are ranked 92, EMU is 93, Purdue is 53, and South Florida is 54.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
At the risk of dead horse flogging, job #1 is putting pressure on PU's QB. We're not going to win the turnover battle (or the game), if we can't get Blough out of his comfort zone. Obviously, being able to drive the ball and score is key too. But the DL needs to step it up, big time.

Really feel like we need at least 3 turnovers. Probably 4. Purdue is gonna score when we don’t turn them over. And every team goes for it on 4th and short vs us cause we get no push. We need to take the ball away at greater than our average.
I know David Blough and Rondale Moore should be #1A and 1B on everyone's Heisman watch list, but this seems a little extreme. It's not like Illinois hasn't faced a good QB or WR this season.

I know David Blough and Rondale Moore should be #1A and 1B on everyone's Heisman watch list, but this seems a little extreme. It's not like Illinois hasn't faced a good QB or WR this season.

Remember score doesn’t necessarily mean touchdown. Teams move the ball between the 20s on us with ease. Field goal opportunities will be great.

I'd say the key is on the other side of the ball - OL. We need to out rush Purdue, and need to keep AJ's feet on the ground. Old fashioned Lovie Ball: Turnovers, Rushing, Special Teams. If we win all three, chances are we win.

Most interesting Illini FB game in years. Do we have enough young talent to beat a mediocre (no disrespect intended, Purdue is my second favorite team) BIG team with an old fashioned strategy? Unfortunately I say not quite, but I hope I am wrong.

Remember score doesn’t necessarily mean touchdown. Teams move the ball between the 20s on us with ease. Field goal opportunities will be great.
Yes, I am well aware of the field goal. It's still an extreme statement. Remember, not every field goal attempt is successful. Also, Rutgers punted 4 times, South Florida punted 5 times. Even mighty Penn State punted once, and, as I recall, would have punted another time if not for a phantom pass interference penalty. Oh, and they missed their only field goal attempt. Yet, BD Mil has you convinced that Purdue will score on every drive where they don't turn the ball over?

Would like to see Bonner get more carries this game. We need to establish success in the interior run game and keep the Purdue QB on the sideline.

Would like to see Bonner get more carries this game. We need to establish success in the interior run game and keep the Purdue QB on the sideline.
Between Bush, Corbin, and Epstein, I think our run game will be. Bonner isn't awful, but he's leagues behind those three's ability to a) actually run and b) have the vision to find holes.

Between Bush, Corbin, and Epstein, I think our run game will be. Bonner isn't awful, but he's leagues behind those three's ability to a) actually run and b) have the vision to find holes.

Yeah talent wise I agree. I guess tempo wise I don't think we need to be blazing fast... I'd actually like to slow downthe pace a little andkeep our backs fresh. If this game turns into a shoot out or we have to claw our way back in because we couldn't keep Purdue off the field I don't like our chances.

I really do think this game will be decided in the first half psychologically. I don't see us tiring out the way we did vs. PSU or even USF this time around, so it's crucial that we go into the fourth quarter not down more than one score.

I understand, but my point is that every team has it's obnoxious fans that reflect poorly on the rest of the fan base. Some of the Iowa fans that were in Champaign two years ago for the football game were rude and obnoxious. I've seen both Cardinal's and Cub's fans that acted inappropriate as well as high school teams fans. It doesn't matter what the sport is or who the team is, we all have those fans that make the rest of the base look bad. An entire fan base should not be judged by the ones who act inappropriately is all I was trying to say.

True. That was just two guys. Two things I’ll never forget when I was a student at Purdue during the Brees years.

1) Ohio State fans were all obnoxious in 2000. Too bad Brees hit the bomb to win the big ten and send them packing.

2) when I was acacia at Purdue, 2 guys who were acacia Penn State came for the 99 #2 Nittany Lions at Purdue. They held off Purdue at the end to win. The consensus from our house were that these two guys acted like that whole town was keeping a secret.

Turns out they were lol.

Good luck tomorrow guys. If Illinois plays just a little closer to their best than we do to our best, the game will go down to the final minutes. Have a good game Illinois.

I'm hoping it's not decided until the last play. I expect us to follow PU's 3 minute drives with our 7 minute drives and for neither defense to stop the other's offense - and it goes down to the last play. I'll be there and I'm expecting an epic for the ages.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I’d like it settled in our favor much earlier than that! Too bad we weren’t playing in today’s weather. First really cold day of the year favors our running attack.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Nope. Illini will win on a flea flicker as time runs out 🤪

Weather sounds like it will reduce passing game and overall offense. These type of games tend to favor the team with better rushing, kickers, punters.
Low 50’s, not much wind and no rain. This will be a perfect day to be at the game. Let’s win this game.

My dad and I decided this morning to go to the game. Driving in from St. Louis hoping to see a win! There was just too much buzz around this game for us not to go.

We need about 1000 more groups like you and your dad and we’ll be on to something. If I didn’t live 1000 miles away I’d be there too.

Low 50’s, not much wind and no rain. This will be a perfect day to be at the game. Let’s win this game.

This is awful news.

Need it to be rainy and sloppy out and extremely windy. Hopefully we get some of the above to affect PU's passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.