Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Saturday, October 31st, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see more than 1 win before the crossover game, and that 1 win would be a lightning in a bottle lucky win against a lesser team. There are no guaranteed wins anymore.

Reactions: CogDog
We have a habit of making career games for opposing players and coaches alike. The Mertz kid won't have another game like he did last night if he plays until he is 85.
I dunno... it's so early, obviously,,, just way too early to write the season off. It's entirely possible that this turns out to be one of Wisconsin's better vintages and they just roll everyone not named Ohio State. The Purdue game will be a much better barometer IMO.

Reactions: KevinC and Go Nats 88 Illini
Western Illinois
If we can beat Purdue and that's a big if, then Iowa is a winnable game. But Purdont looked pretty good in their win against Iowa.

If we continue our stubbornness of using our 2 shell, our defense will only continue to get shredded.
Something about insanity and expecting different results.

Reactions: CogDog, B-ILL and illinifan4249
If we continue our stubbornness of using our 2 shell, our defense will only continue to get shredded.

Assuming you are hinting at the TD before half, we didn't get burned just because we were in Cover 2. That was just bad technique by both safeties. There's nothing inherently wrong with Cover 2(we aren't in Cover 2 as much as people think) but the team has had streaks of bad fundamentals since Lovie started. Usually a coordinator can help with this but well.... you know...

Reactions: illinifan4249, KnoxIllini2 and Cook
Over our last 4 games (WI, CAL, NU, IA) we are 0-4 and have been outscored 128-47.

Reactions: wma500
Over our last 4 games (WI, CAL, NU, IA) we are 0-4 and have been outscored 128-47.
In the last six games Peters is the only Illini to rush for more than 70 yards.

Reactions: Stevegarbs, illinifan4249 and Chukwuwumba
Admin

Reactions: illini80
That line is incredibly generous. Weather and a strong run game won't bail us out this time.

Reactions: illinifan4249
Western Suburbs
The site that I look at has the line as Purdue -6

I agree! We played way better last year when we went man!

What I have witnessed with Illini football is a remarkable devotion to a football team. We suffer almost on a daily basis the excuses to why our football team is not good enough for the BIG10 Conference. I gripe every year, and threaten to cancel my Season Tickets, but to sit there and wait for the Offence to come on and see what they could do is someone who can't wait for the next game

Forgottonia
Do we know anything about the Gay suspension and whether he will be back for Purdue?

Tennessee
That makes me happy.

Admin
There are expected to be about 1,000 people in the 60,670-seat Memorial Stadium. Illinois will host families of coaches and student-athletes from both teams as the only fans in attendance in accordance with the Big Ten rule due to COVID-19.

Illinois has 22 consecutive home-opening wins, the fourth-longest active streak in the nation behind only Florida (31), Oklahoma State (25) and Wisconsin (25).

https://fightingillini.com/news/202...es-to-keep-the-cannon-saturday-vs-purdue.aspx

Reactions: KevinC
Would he come?
naw...he is making 4 mil a year at Cincy...he is only leaving for the right fit/opportunity and that ain't Illinois.

Reactions: philcon, illinifan4249, Dren1 and 2 others
If Moore plays I don't see how Lovies vaunted defense stops Purdue.(I struggle to see us stopping them without Moore too). They should play action us to death and if they don't Brohm should be fired before getting back to the locker room. I can't believe in year 5 the defense still struggles with the same stuff, Lovie has to make tweaks that for some reason just refuses to do.

Reactions: ChiefIllini and illinifan4249
If Moore plays I don't see how Lovies vaunted defense stops Purdue.(I struggle to see us stopping them without Moore too). They should play action us to death and if they don't Brohm should be fired before getting back to the locker room. I can't believe in year 5 the defense still struggles with the same stuff, Lovie has to make tweaks that for some reason just refuses to do.
The man believes in his way to a fault.

Reactions: illinifan4249, ILL_INI and illini0440
Status
Not open for further replies.