Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Saturday, October 31st, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we continue our stubbornness of using our 2 shell, our defense will only continue to get shredded.
Something about insanity and expecting different results.

If we continue our stubbornness of using our 2 shell, our defense will only continue to get shredded.

Assuming you are hinting at the TD before half, we didn't get burned just because we were in Cover 2. That was just bad technique by both safeties. There's nothing inherently wrong with Cover 2(we aren't in Cover 2 as much as people think) but the team has had streaks of bad fundamentals since Lovie started. Usually a coordinator can help with this but well.... you know...

Over our last 4 games (WI, CAL, NU, IA) we are 0-4 and have been outscored 128-47.

That line is incredibly generous. Weather and a strong run game won't bail us out this time.

Konnie

Western Suburbs
The site that I look at has the line as Purdue -6

I agree! We played way better last year when we went man!

What I have witnessed with Illini football is a remarkable devotion to a football team. We suffer almost on a daily basis the excuses to why our football team is not good enough for the BIG10 Conference. I gripe every year, and threaten to cancel my Season Tickets, but to sit there and wait for the Offence to come on and see what they could do is someone who can't wait for the next game

illini80

Forgottonia
Do we know anything about the Gay suspension and whether he will be back for Purdue?

Dan

Admin
There are expected to be about 1,000 people in the 60,670-seat Memorial Stadium. Illinois will host families of coaches and student-athletes from both teams as the only fans in attendance in accordance with the Big Ten rule due to COVID-19.

Illinois has 22 consecutive home-opening wins, the fourth-longest active streak in the nation behind only Florida (31), Oklahoma State (25) and Wisconsin (25).

https://fightingillini.com/news/202...es-to-keep-the-cannon-saturday-vs-purdue.aspx

If Moore plays I don't see how Lovies vaunted defense stops Purdue.(I struggle to see us stopping them without Moore too). They should play action us to death and if they don't Brohm should be fired before getting back to the locker room. I can't believe in year 5 the defense still struggles with the same stuff, Lovie has to make tweaks that for some reason just refuses to do.

If Moore plays I don't see how Lovies vaunted defense stops Purdue.(I struggle to see us stopping them without Moore too). They should play action us to death and if they don't Brohm should be fired before getting back to the locker room. I can't believe in year 5 the defense still struggles with the same stuff, Lovie has to make tweaks that for some reason just refuses to do.
The man believes in his way to a fault.

Nobody on our defense got close enough to Mertz to violate social distancing so I think we should be ok.

This joke is being made everywhere and I feel nitpicky enough to point out that we got him a few times and also there was some scrambles. We are lucky to not have an outbreak.

This joke is being made everywhere and I feel nitpicky enough to point out that we got him a few times and also there was some scrambles. We are lucky to not have an outbreak.
Thank you for being the one to take the hit. I was afraid of being accused of not having a sense of humor.

According to Will Leitch, it's not really luck. It's largely anecdotal, but he says this:

"It’s apparently difficult to transmit the virus on the field.
One notable aspect of every sports outbreak, from the Cardinals in baseball to the Tennessee Titans in the NFL to the Florida Gators in college football: The only players anyone transmitted the virus to were teammates. During the first series of the season, the Miami Marlins fielded a team against the Philadelphia Phillies that included multiple COVID-positive players, but no one on the Phillies ended up contracting the virus afterward. College football, which has been by far the most lax among major sports in isolating and testing players, hasn’t seen any team-to-team transmissions either. It is bad when a team has an outbreak. But it is far worse — and arguably insurmountable — if that team is transmitting that outbreak to an opponent. You can contain one team at a time, but you can’t contain them all at once. Thus far, there hasn’t been a single documented instance of a player getting COVID from an on-field event. That has allowed the games to continue."

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...from-mlbs-surprisingly-successful-season.html

Status
Not open for further replies.