Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Sunday, January 5th, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a point in the MSU game where Kofi was on the bench and Georgi was playing great down low. He looked like Georgi from last year; he scored six points while Kofi was out if I remember correctly. Georgi plays much better down low and that’s obvious. We need to stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, BU still hasn’t figured out how to play the two of them together. I’m not sure what the answer is....

It also seems like Ayo is reluctant to feed the post (maybe he just isn’t a good passer?), but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I can never understand why people care about the starting lineup. Rotations are what is important. AG coming in with Feliz makes sense because 1 is a driver and the other is a shooter. Damonte and Feliz can't work.

Need at least 2 of Ayo, Trent, and AG on the court at all times.

I never played college basketball, but I played sports. Starting is a reward to the vast majority of players, and it can damage you if you feel you HAVE earned a starting spot and will never get it ... we aren’t talking about Jack Ingram coming off the bench in 2005, and as others have said ... even if it theoretically “makes sense,” it’s not working. It’s just my humble opinion that a change is worth a try.

I’m not getting the big bucks, though. :p

So starting flat repeatedly we should just go with what we have been? I like AGs aggressive attitude and it could help address our slow starts and 3 point shooting out of the gate
Just remember, AG is 3-17 from 3 in our 6 high major games. It's not like he's some sort of 3 point shooting savior.

Deleted member 29907

D
Coming off the bench cold, trying to get into the game against those already warmed up and then hit 3s is not a simple task. I say let's give AG a chance to start and see what we get. Coming off the bench to play D and rebound (DMW) is much easier.

oNthErILLpost: 1511898 said:
It also seems like Ayo is reluctant to feed the post (maybe he just isn’t a good passer?), but I could be wrong.

I don't think you're wrong. Sometimes, when you grow up a "prospect", your coaches always expect you to shoot, not to pass. Rarely do I see recruits live up to the hype, but Kofi has. I don't know how much of the reluctance to feed the post is based on ignorance and how much on envy.

I think our biggest offensive problem is that our more controlled defensive style doesn’t lead us in to transition as much. We’ve made some trade offs that have really helped us foul wise, but really hurt us offensively. I still think the defense might be the right move, but we’re now playing against a set defense a lot more too, and we’re not able to break it nearly enough.

Our biggest problem is attitude. Team looked like they didn't even belong on the court in East Lansing and was playing scared. Guys need to find an identity when shots aren't falling or they make a mistake. Effort and defense need to be a point of pride. It's easy to be confident when you're successful. When the other team makes a play or two, we forget how to fight.

It's a home game, so I think we'll be in it. Just hope they figure out how to play hard for a whole game.

AG played 25 min last game to Damonte's 16. You don't have to start to play the most minutes. And lack of shooting is exactly why he fits well on the bench. If he starts then Feliz and Damonte are coming in at the same time. Those 2 are our worst shooters. That would kill our offense.
What you as re saying is what you tell the guy coming off the bench. In reality DW is starting over him because of his experience not because he us better. Experience and to be rewarded is exactly what AG needs. It's pretty clear he is and will be a better player. Your best players should start and get more minutes. We need a change too. I understand what your saying but me if he is getting more minutes then why not start that player like most coaches do start the players that it t the most minutes? Its seems to reason you would want your best line up on the floor to start well and not give the opponent an advantage at the start as if a play player had fouls already ir something. We disagree

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Just remember, AG is 3-17 from 3 in our 6 high major games. It's not like he's some sort of 3 point shooting savior.

I know Griffin’s reputation is as a shooter but, was thinking the same thing (without the numbers). He doesn’t seem like he is making that many 3‘s. Still probably option 1 or 2 with Trent for us but, not the kind of production we see from other teams’ “shooter”.

There was a point in the MSU game where Kofi was on the bench and Georgi was playing great down low. He looked like Georgi from last year; he scored six points while Kofi was out if I remember correctly. Georgi plays much better down low and that’s obvious.

Again, after watching the game again after seeing it live; MSU took advantage of the absolute hole under the basket when GB plays down low. there’s zero interior defense. What’s the point if he scores 6 points, but gives up 12??

Again, after watching the game again after seeing it live; MSU took advantage of the absolute hole under the basket when GB plays down low. there’s zero interior defense. What’s the point if he scores 6 points, but gives up 12??
GB should score more than 6 points. However, if BU isnt going to get him the ball in the post and play to his strengths then he should be on the bench for someone that is more effective and must be closely guarded. I love GB and he shoots at a very high percentage in the post, with his back to the basket, and cutting not outside the arc. But he isnt the same player as last year not because he is playing the 4 or the 5 but because BU is not taking advantage of the best parts of his skill set. GB is very good at using both hands and playing with his back to the basket.He is a good passer too. This is likely my biggest issue.It drives me crazy we dont use hiim especially when shots are not falling. Granted it may be a short drive! If he is going to be outside the three point line then someone else should possibly be considered to fill that role. .Id rather them try getting GB some more shots down low with kofi on the floor . I think it could create some better looks for everyone if he is doubled if not he will be effective imo.
Whatever we do lets just beat Purdue. There arent meany teams id rather beat then the Boilers.

Last edited:
I think AG needs to play much more. He is our most improved player and gives us shooting, rebounding and size at the 3 spot.

I liked the combo of Giorgi/Kofi, but must concede that teams are taking advantage of Giorgi defending small/faster players and inability to be a stretch 4. Against power 5 conferences the douo has been less effective. I think the answervis less time where they overlap and more Giorgi down low. Also more effective play from Kipper and Tev at the 4.

Agreed, and good point. We need Kofi to play, but we also need Georgi to produce....not sure what the answer is.

As someone mentioned earlier, attitude definitely seems to be an issue. Their body language didn't look good at MSU. We need that killer instinct and we just don't seem to have it. Maybe it's an issue with confidence. Could BU's coaching style be deflating their confidence?

BU has said that Damonte can guard any position, doubt he can guard the 5 but a starting rotation of Ayo, Trent, AG, Damonte, and Kofi, isn’t a bad starting rotation. They would be long still with Damonte at the four spot. Platoon Giorgi and Kofi. I think when we have Giorgi and Kofi in together it gets clogged up sometimes.

Does anyone sit back and think:
I bet Oklahoma State is happier than heck we took BU off of their hands? The longer his tenure goes, the more you see how under-prepared we are all the time.

I bet Oklahoma State is happier than heck we took BU off of their hands? The longer his tenure goes, the more you see how under-prepared we are all the time.
Do i agree with how he is using GB or AG no i do not. That being said i am happy with thee BU hire. We are improving and our roster is getting much stronger at every position each year. We have a more talented roster and i think he can find talent. We have some top tier freshmen coming in next year as well as some skilled long wing players i am really interested to see play. There is more interest in the program and higher expectations because he has us headed in the right direction even if it is a bit slower than we want. The B10 is the best conference in the nation and all the nearly every team is better. I hope we can get a win today vs Purdue. We need a win very badly. To get on a little win streak and our attitudes should change. I wish we had not lost the Maryland or Miami games. Those really hurt. A couple more buckets and attitudes around here could be alot different. BU has us moving forward and a win today could really help change our momentum

Do i agree with how he is using GB or AG no i do not. That being said i am happy with thee BU hire. We are improving and our roster is getting much stronger at every position each year. We have a more talented roster and i think he can find talent. We have some top tier freshmen coming in next year as well as some skilled long wing players i am really interested to see play. There is more interest in the program and higher expectations because he has us headed in the right direction even if it is a bit slower than we want. The B10 is the best conference in the nation and all the nearly every team is better. I hope we can get a win today vs Purdue. We need a win very badly. To get on a little win streak and our attitudes should change. I wish we had not lost the Maryland or Miami games. Those really hurt. A couple more buckets and attitudes around here could be alot different. BU has us moving forward and a win today could really help change our momentum
He’s literally doing worse than Groce while working with considerably more talent.

He’s literally doing worse than Groce while working with considerably more talent.
The league is better, we are better, our talent is better, there is much more optimism, most importantly the season is not over just yet. If you think the state of the program was better under JG we disagree. You wouldnt prefer JG and his team to face Purdue today would you? i would not. Istill think this team can improve and make the dance. Kofi is just getting started. Next season is clearly shaping up to the type of team BU wants. This is only year 3 and things take a little time in the B10 when you basically start over. This conference is the best it has been in years.

illini80

Forgottonia
They aren’t setting the world on fire either.

edit: Oops several beat me to it.

illini80

Forgottonia
The league is better, we are better, our talent is better, there is much more optimism, most importantly the season is not over just yet. If you think the state of the program was better under JG we disagree. You wouldnt prefer JG and his team to face Purdue today would you? i would not. Istill think this team can improve and make the dance. Kofi is just getting started. Next season is clearly shaping up to the type of team BU wants. This is only year 3 and things take a little time in the B10 when you basically start over. This conference is the best it has been in years.
Mostly agree looking at the full body of work of Groce. But in at this point in year 3 Groce was still viewed pretty positively by most.

Deleted member 746654

D
Tonight is one of the bigger games of the BU era for ILLINI and BU. This could set up to crash our season if this game is lost.....

Status
Not open for further replies.