Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Wednesday, January 21st, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penn St had Purdue beat last game and they have a lot less quality pieces than we do. Anybody catch the game and see what gave Purdue trouble?

My only hope is that Groce or his assistants keep the players with hot hands in the game no matter who they are. The coaches killed the flow of the game in the IU at the 12 minute mark of the second half and NW game in the last 5 minutes with I opportune substitutions.
In my opinion, this lost the game for us. I couldn't believe when Egwu was put back in the game and killed the momentum they had going with Black and four guards. Do the coaches just make automatic substitutions or pay attention to flow?

Penn St had Purdue beat last game and they have a lot less quality pieces than we do. Anybody catch the game and see what gave Purdue trouble?
I watched some of Maryland-Purdue. THe boilers are long and big (Haas is HUGE), but with a few exceptions don't shoot well from outside and don't handle the ball well (turnovers + offense can be clunky at times). They are lacking at the PG and combo-guard positions. Stephens should be playing the 3 in an ideal world, with a quicker ball-handler/shooter combo guard at the 2.

I would pressure the ball, then sag off everyone else to pack the lane. Wait, that's the pack line defense!

Scottsdale, AZ
In my opinion, this lost the game for us. I couldn't believe when Egwu was put back in the game and killed the momentum they had going with Black and four guards. Do the coaches just make automatic substitutions or pay attention to flow?
Overall, I'm as pro Groce as you can be at this point, but my primary complaint has to do with his substitutions. I am continually puzzled by rotations, who comes in, when they come in, and why. It lost us the Oregon game, and it certainly didn't help against Indiana.

That said, Groce is the biggest Egwu fan there is, so I can't fault him for defaulting toward playing his 3 year starting center.

I watched some of Maryland-Purdue. THe boilers are long and big (Haas is HUGE), but with a few exceptions don't shoot well from outside and don't handle the ball well (turnovers + offense can be clunky at times). They are lacking at the PG and combo-guard positions. Stephens should be playing the 3 in an ideal world, with a quicker ball-handler/shooter combo guard at the 2.

I would pressure the ball, then sag off everyone else to pack the lane. Wait, that's the pack line defense!
Excuse my ignorance,but do we run (or try) the packline defense?

That said, Groce is the biggest Egwu fan there is, so I can't fault him for defaulting toward playing his 3 year starting center.
Egwu has been a far better player than Black over many minutes and many games this season (not to mention practice). Groce isn't going to throw all that out because Black is doing better in one game.

Overall, I'm as pro Groce as you can be at this point, but my primary complaint has to do with his substitutions. I am continually puzzled by rotations, who comes in, when they come in, and why. It lost us the Oregon game, and it certainly didn't help against Indiana.

Egwu was scoreless with 4 fouls against the worst front court in the conference and going small spearheaded a huge run. I think everyone should fault Groce for going with his 3 year starting center.

Indiana had no answers and no momentum. Until your opponent figures it out, don't do them any favors.

Egwu was scoreless with 4 fouls against the worst front court in the conference and going small spearheaded a huge run. I think everyone should fault Groce for going with his 3 year starting center.

Indiana had no answers and no momentum. Until your opponent figures it out, don't do them any favors.
+1. It was a puzzling move, esp. since it was early -- usually you return a guy with 4 fouls around the 5:00 or 6:00 mark. Guessing it was made because of the staff's trust in NE over LB and perhaps the staff thought LB was getting gassed after playing more mins than usual. Still surprised they didn't ride the hot lineup another couple of mins. As soon as NE returned, our run ended and IU got right back into it.

+1. It was a puzzling move. Guessing it was made because of the staff's trust in NE over LB and perhaps the staff thought LB was getting gassed after playing more mins than usual. Still surprised they didn't ride the hot lineup another couple of mins. As soon as NE returned, our run ended and IU got right back into it.
Did Indiana get back in the game because of Egwu, or did they finally just start to make some plays on offense? There is a difference than just assuming we lost the lead because he put Egwu in.

CU Expat
Chicago
Illinois is a 3 pt fav with an O/U @ 135.
The unbiased gambling man in me would probably put a couple bucks on PU given our awful record against them recently. Might parlay that with the under too.

Did Indiana get back in the game because of Egwu, or did they finally just start to make some plays on offense? There is a difference than just assuming we lost the lead because he put Egwu in.
They hit a couple of 3s and Williams got to the bucket for a couple of baskets. IU was a bad matchup for NE. No true bigs and just too quick for him, and our halfcourt O was not crisp with him in the lineup since he couldn't provide a post presence. He'll do better tonight against an opponent with a true big, but he just got abused against IU's speed and skill.

Scottsdale, AZ

I'm with you, and the results would indicate we were right. My point is, the vast majority of these coaches are stubborn to a fault, and will go with experience more times than not. It's hardly unique to Groce.

+1. It was a puzzling move, esp. since it was early -- usually you return a guy with 4 fouls around the 5:00 or 6:00 mark. Guessing it was made because of the staff's trust in NE over LB and perhaps the staff thought LB was getting gassed after playing more mins than usual. Still surprised they didn't ride the hot lineup another couple of mins. As soon as NE returned, our run ended and IU got right back into it.
Egwu only had 3 fouls, the BTN announcers missed one earlier. He picked up #4 with 3:41 left and then #5 at the 2:18 mark.

And it wasn't just Egwu, Cosby also came back in around that same time and fouled Blackmon on a 3 point attempt. :eek:

Fairfield, IL
There have been days at the park where I shoot lights out and can't miss. Those are the best days to have. If one of your teammates has the hot hand, you ride on that teammate's hot hand. It's that simple, not complex. It could be the difference in a ball game, whether you are down or have a slim lead.

Egwu only had 3 fouls, the BTN announcers missed one earlier. He picked up #4 with 3:41 left and then #5 at the 2:18 mark.

And it wasn't just Egwu, Cosby also came back in around that same time and fouled Blackmon on a 3 point attempt. :eek:
Subbing them back in after that monstrous run just made no sense, especially since NE and AC had 0 baskets between them before then (and I don't remember them scoring a bucket the rest of the game, either), and neither had played good D, either. AC didn't exactly contain Blackmon all game. AC seemed to come right back out shortly after the foul, but not NE.

New York
Subbing them back in after that monstrous run just made no sense, especially since NE and AC had 0 baskets between them before then (and I don't remember them scoring a bucket the rest of the game, either), and neither had played good D, either. AC didn't exactly contain Blackmon all game. AC seemed to come right back out shortly after the foul, but not NE.
If there was a single most important turning point in the game (and there were many, many turning points in the game), IMO it was the Cosby foul. What a disaster. And not a first time offender either. From an upperclassman, no less. Inexcusable and fatal.

Agree (in hindsight obviously) with those who say we should have stuck with our lineup doing good things on the court. Hard to criticize Groce for that, though -- it's a hard decision to make and most coaches would stick their main players back in during crunch time even if they hadn't been doing well. Maybe Groce will take something from that and we'll see him be a little bolder with sub patterns later on.

All year, we've surprisingly had more success against big teams than small teams even though we might ostensibly match up better against small teams because we are small. We did a great job against Baylor earlier this year when we were way outsized (albeit with Ray, but by the same token KN is playing much better now than he was then). Hoping to see similar exploitation of their bigs tonight. Can't imagine that they are quick enough to keep up with us. Going to have to force turnovers, capitalize on that, take care of the ball, and use quickness and passing to find open looks for ourselves.

I'm gonna go with a bounce back 10 pt victory.

I agree, just pointing out foul trouble wasn't part of the equation.

Egwu has been a far better player than Black over many minutes and many games this season (not to mention practice). Groce isn't going to throw all that out because Black is doing better in one game.
No one can dispute this. But... when a person or line-up is clicking and giving you a lead shouldn't you ride the hot hand/lineup until it stops working or they tire? This has really been my only issue thus far, the staff hits on a lineup that's clicking or an individual player is on fire and they change it up for no apparent reason. :noidea:

Egwu came back in at 10:00 or so and they lost the lead by the 8 minute timeout.

Maybe I was hallucinating due to all the whiskey necessitated by that colossal failure of a game, but I'm pretty sure I saw Egwu fail to close out to a three point shooter the possession after he was inserted back into the game.

And as previously mentioned, he contributed nothing offensively versus the worst front court in the league.

Black was making things happen. Even more puzzling is that Groce subbed out Tate for Egwu, sending Starks back to the point guard spot and instantly curbstomping all flow that the offense had while the small lineup was playing with Tate running the point and Starks playing off the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.