Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Wednesday, January 21st, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I was hallucinating due to all the whiskey necessitated by that colossal failure of a game, but I'm pretty sure I saw Egwu fail to close out to a three point shooter the possession after he was inserted back into the game.

And as previously mentioned, he contributed nothing offensively versus the worst front court in the league.

Black was making things happen. Even more puzzling is that Groce subbed out Tate for Egwu, sending Starks back to the point guard spot and instantly curbstomping all flow that the offense had while the small lineup was playing with Tate running the point and Starks playing off the ball.
This bugged me so much! The offense just stalled when he was running the offense.

No one can dispute this. But... when a person or line-up is clicking and giving you a lead shouldn't you ride the hot hand/lineup until it stops working or they tire? This has really been my only issue thus far, the staff hits on a lineup that's clicking or an individual player is on fire and they change it up for no apparent reason. :noidea:
People at the time speculated that Tate got tired and needed a breather, but that doesn't make ANY sense because Indiana had literally just called Timeout and Groce didn't go back to the small lineup until Egwu fouled out.

And there was the under-12 minute timeout just before that.

The Egwu/Tate sub was just inexplicable and inexcusable in my opinion.

Made more inexcusable by the fact that Egwu failed to close out to Hartman shooting a three the first defensive possession he was put back into the game.

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford, CA
Yeah, perimeter defense hasn't been our strength this year. Someone on that PU team is likely to go off, and Scott would fit the pattern.
Some teams allow opponents to shoot a lot of threes. We fit that profile. Aside from that, is there any evidence that certain teams are more prone to letting a shooter get hot? I mean, there's evidence that defenses have little control over their opponent's percentage of made threes. And I haven't seen much evidence that getting hot from three is anything more than the product of random chance. I don't think there's anything about our defense that's somehow coaxing bench players to shoot better; IMO the cause of what you're pointing to here is that we let our opponents shoot a lot of threes.

Even more puzzling is that Groce subbed out Tate for Egwu, sending Starks back to the point guard spot and instantly curbstomping all flow that the offense had while the small lineup was playing with Tate running the point and Starks playing off the ball.
Subbing JT out made no sense after the TO. AS lacks PG skills or instincts. He was shooting great at the 2 Sunday, and JT was doing a good job of keeping the ball hopping. That small ball lineup outscored IU 21-4 from what I remember, turning a 50-40 deficit into a 61-54 lead or maybe even 61-52.

Some teams allow opponents to shoot a lot of threes. We fit that profile. Aside from that, is there any evidence that certain teams are more prone to letting a shooter get hot? I mean, there's evidence that defenses have little control over their opponent's percentage of made threes. And I haven't seen much evidence that getting hot from three is anything more than the product of random chance. I don't think there's anything about our defense that's somehow coaxing bench players to shoot better; IMO the cause of what you're pointing to here is that we let our opponents shoot a lot of threes.
Yes, we don't defend the perimeter well.

Quad-Cities, IL
If the Illini start a smaller lineup. I hope they choose to play a complete up tempo game, full court press to cause Purdue's bugs to turn it over. They have enough bodies to to this if they use Cobert in spots to relieve Egwu and Morgan.

If the Illini start a smaller lineup. I hope they choose to play a complete up tempo game, full court press to cause Purdue's bugs to turn it over. They have enough bodies to to this if they use Cobert in spots to relieve Egwu and Morgan.
That's a joke right? Morgan is going to be bad enough against Hammons/Haas. I don't even want to think about what they would do to Colbert.

Quad-Cities, IL
That's a joke right? Morgan is going to be bad enough against Hammons/Haas. I don't even want to think about what they would do to Colbert.
Not really. Other posters were commenting on smaller starting lineups and I didn't see MM's name in that line up. I agree with you that MM will have issues with Hammons/Haas in a half court defense. My guess is the Illini will be packing the the inside giving Purdue the three anyway to help whoever is covering a Purdue big.

Egwu came in at the twelve minute mark. Announcers mentioned they were surprised that Groce didn't wait until the 10 min mark to bring him in.
That was at that time the announcers were still saying (mistakenly) Egwu had four fouls. It was confusing.

I would like to see JFG start Black tonight in place of Cosby.
Purdue is too big for Illinois to run out 4 guards. Black can battle down low on defense and throw his weight around for rebounds while Hill stays fresh and plays with more energy on the offensive end.
Tate, Nunn, Hill, Black, Egwu. Then run in Starks, Mav, and Cosby to spell some guys.

This is horrible, this idea.

Egwu came in at the twelve minute mark. Announcers mentioned they were surprised that Groce didn't wait until the 10 min mark to bring him in.
According to the official play by play, he came in at 10:23.

Just saw this on twitter:

Aaron Cosby suffered a retinal tear in his left eye during game against Indiana. He had a laser procedure and will miss 1-2 weeks.

Leron is gonna play an awful lot. You'd think Hill's going to be at the three for a majority of the game.

Maybe we get another inspired effort out of the guys similar to what we did with Maryland. That'd make Cosby about as valuable tonight as he's been all year (minus the NW game).

Egwu came in at 10:23. The lead was 4 by the 8-minute timeout.

The possession after subbing in (he came in on a foul), Hartman drained a three from the right wing where Egwu failed to close out.

Two Illinois turnovers later on horrific offensive trips with Starks running the point and the lead was essentially gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.