Pregame: Illinois vs Rutgers, Saturday, February 9th, 3:00pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
If memory serves, 14 losses is the record for an at-large berth. So you're suggesting we would have a winning streak so compelling that the committee would literally make history?

That would be 12 straight wins in the best conference in the NCAA this year, road wins over Purdue and Wisconsin, both highly rated, a road win over OSU, road neutral win over #13 Maryland and a home win over #9 MSU, plus likely a win over a Purdue type team in 2nd round of the BTT. It would be very compelling.

illinihawk16

Chicago

Maybe this is irrationally annoying me, but I absolutely hate the question that the reporter (Rob McColley, I think) asked:

"Was there any grade-out that you were able to get from Samba's 49 seconds?"

A lot of questions that reporters ask are kind of pointless, but this one is awful. You're not looking for an insightful answer at all and are likely either making fun of BU for what you think was a silly substitution or are making fun of Samba.

Standings on the Big Ten web site has us 0-6 for road games.

Yep and it has us at 7-5 at home. Which means we only played 2 neutral site games despite playing 3 in Maui, one at UC v OSU and one at MSG. Guess what, they've got it wrong!

Maybe this is irrationally annoying me, but I absolutely hate the question that the reporter (Rob McColley, I think) asked:

A lot of questions that reporters ask are kind of pointless, but this one is awful. You're not looking for an insightful answer at all and are likely either making fun of BU for what you think was a silly substitution or are making fun of Samba.

Rob McColley needs a pie in the face.

I actually don't have a problem with this question. There are lots of times as a fan where I would like for someone to ask the coach, "Are you stupid?" It seems like there have been several times where Underwood needed to be asked this question. My favorite (and I think, the turning point of this season) was when he was asked during post-game (and I paraphrase) "What exactly does your walk-on son give you that your much higher ranked, much higher recruited D-1 athletes not give you?" Right after that TU started disappearing from the box score. I know the FAU game was painful, but the silver lining for me, was that even though we lost, TU was not in the box score. I saw this as a positive sign for the rest of the season. It feels, to me, like this is when we started making progress as a team.

Yep and it has us at 7-5 at home. Which means we only played 2 neutral site games despite playing 3 in Maui, one at UC v OSU and one at MSG. Guess what, they've got it wrong!
No. 7-4 home, 1-5 neutral and 0-6 away, for a total of 23 games and 8-15.

I actually don't have a problem with this question. There are lots of times as a fan where I would like for someone to ask the coach, "Are you stupid?" It seems like there have been several times where Underwood needed to be asked this question. My favorite (and I think, the turning point of this season) was when he was asked during post-game (and I paraphrase) "What exactly does your walk-on son give you that your much higher ranked, much higher recruited D-1 athletes not give you?" Right after that TU started disappearing from the box score. I know the FAU game was painful, but the silver lining for me, was that even though we lost, TU was not in the box score. I saw this as a positive sign for the rest of the season. It feels, to me, like this is when we started making progress as a team.

That's a legitimate, serious question. I think McColley just likes making people feel uncomfortable during interviews and fishes for laughs.

If memory serves, 14 losses is the record for an at-large berth. So you're suggesting we would have a winning streak so compelling that the committee would literally make history?

This will never happen. Just like a 16-seed will never beat a 1 seed. Oh wait....;)

That's a legitimate, serious question. I think McColley just likes making people feel uncomfortable during interviews and fishes for laughs.
I agree with you concerning McColley (not a big fan). This may simply be a "Blind Squirrel" situation for him, but I believe the question/underlying statement is legitimate. Question -- What possible gain are you or Samba possibly getting from 49 seconds on the court, but the underlying statement was -- Samba needs more time on the court to progress. Just as in the previous example, the underlying statement was quit playing your own son. Maybe I'm just reading my own concerns into the question.

If we beat Rutgers do we cheer for Indiana or Ohio State in their upcoming game? Either scenario bodes well for us in term of chance of gaining a higher seed.

A few weeks ago I posted something after our Northwestern loss to try and put our season in perspective. The gist of that post was mostly that we had a very young team, a wide range of talent, but a few top 100 kids, some proven scorers, and that this season was a rebuild year and that any positive outcomes from there on out would be more valuable than the losses we’d take. Well, since the end of that game...

-Signed a top 40 big
-Beat Minnesota by 30
-Beat Maryland at The Garden
-Beat Nebraska at home
-Beat MSU at home
-Tevian has been freed

I think no matter what happens the rest of the way, whether we miraculously run the table and finish conference play on a 12 game win streak, or go .500 the rest of the way, or 3-5 etc. This was easily the most important year in Illinois basketball in 10 years. Sure we have a stinky record at the moment, but out of all the Groce years, end of the Weber era, and even Underwood’s first season, this is the first time I’ve seen a group come together and show legitiment improvement, growth, buy-in and togetherness. How did this come to be?

We have played a top 5 schedule this year. Going into the season we all pretty much agreed that we will take some losses early on (we literally played 2 top 20 teams within the first 5 games of the season), along with many other power conference teams. Those losses made us better. We have actually shown improvement and for the first time in 10 years we are heading into a direction that we have all hoped to go towards for years.

Weber was never able to sustain success (and looking back at his tenure, we had a whole lot of talent on some of his teams, but failed to buy-in and the locker room environment always was shakey). Groce was unable to build on his first year, and never took a group of his own guys to a tournament. We had guys like Nunn, Hill, Rice, Black never get to a tournament. We had major off the court issues.

Underwood (and Lovie for what it’s worth) have both not only been able to bring in a legitament overhaul in talent, athleticism, but also have held these kids accountable for their mistakes whether us fans appreciate it or not. These kids are being coached and influenced by some great guys. Sure Underwood has a reputation for being tough on them, but from what i’ve seen, these kids absolutely LOVE playing for the guy. We aren’t back yet, but we are, for the first time in 10 years, pointing way up and the sky’s the limit.

illinihawk16

Chicago
I agree with you concerning McColley (not a big fan). This may simply be a "Blind Squirrel" situation for him, but I believe the question/underlying statement is legitimate. Question -- What possible gain are you or Samba possibly getting from 49 seconds on the court, but the underlying statement was -- Samba needs more time on the court to progress. Just as in the previous example, the underlying statement was quit playing your own son. Maybe I'm just reading my own concerns into the question.

I agree that the underlying question/statement is fair. The phrasing and delivery is where I get annoyed.

illinihawk16

Chicago
Would have loved any of the reporters to ask BU whether or not he sees this as a "trap game" following a big MSU win. Line is -6.5 and I see this being a last shot kind of game.

Would have loved any of the reporters to ask BU whether or not he sees this as a "trap game" following a big MSU win. Line is -6.5 and I see this being a last shot kind of game.

So, you’re saying take Rutgers and the points.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
  • The Fighting Illini live up to their name on the court, playing a sped-up, in-your-face brand style of basketball synonymous with head coach Brad Underwood’s success in previous stops at Stephen F. Austin and Oklahoma State.
  • “They’re the most unique team in the whole league,” Rutgers head coach Steve Pikiell said during a Thursday conference call. “They played an unbelievable schedule so they’ve been challenged by everybody and they’re playing really good basketball. They beat a ranked Maryland team, obviously Michigan State. It’s hard to beat Michigan State any place, any time. They’re playing with great energy and I think they’re in that groove right now.”
  • Illinois plays at the 40th highest tempo in the country, per KenPom, including the 20th fastest defensive tempo in the country and the quickest in the Big Ten. Opponents average 16.4 seconds of possessions on each trip down the floor, with many ending without a shot.
  • The Illini put tremendous pressure on the ball and attempt to force turnovers nearly every stop down the floor. They rank top in the Big Ten in forced turnover percentage (22.4 percent of defensive possessions), steal percentage (11.8 percent of all defensive possessions) and steals per game (eight).
  • “They play at a crazy pace so we’re going to be subbing in this game just because of fatigue,” he said.
(https://247sports.com/college/rutge...-for-Illinois-unique-style-of-play-128850941/)

Teams are starting to get nervous about playing us.

I never thought about how our style forces other teams to go deeper on their own bench. That's a nice plus to our strategy. We can punish teams that have less roster depth than us.

Optimism prevails but I expect a meltdown if they lose this game. Not expecting it but worried about their size.

Deleted member 500209

D
I don’t think TUs playing time was ever about nepotism or because BU thought it would help us win that particular game. I think it was about making a point about effort and understanding the system (on both sides). If you don’t give your best in practice and learn your position (or your spot in a position-less system), you will sit down while a walk-on plays because he knows where to be and tries. If you let teenagers have what they want without ever demanding what you need, you’ll never get what you need out of them. It’s part of the process. We are now reaping the rewards, as fans, of coach’s actions early in the season - not the questions a reporter asked. My opinion, anyway....

I don’t think TUs playing time was ever about nepotism or because BU thought it would help us win that particular game. I think it was about making a point about effort and understanding the system (on both sides). If you don’t give your best in practice and learn your position (or your spot in a position-less system), you will sit down while a walk-on plays because he knows where to be and tries. If you let teenagers have what they want without ever demanding what you need, you’ll never get what you need out of them. It’s part of the process. We are now reaping the rewards, as fans, of coach’s actions early in the season - not the questions a reporter asked. My opinion, anyway....
Very nicely put!

illini80

Forgottonia
No. 7-4 home, 1-5 neutral and 0-6 away, for a total of 23 games and 8-15.
Wow. Read that line a few times over. Let it sink into your brains. Then go back to the bubble talk and realize how ridiculous that is today.

I think every team in the B1G knows every conference game is going to be a tough one.

If we end up losing this one, it won’t be because we aren’t taking Rutgers seriously. It will be because we have a very young team that is inconsistent, as most young teams are.

Status
Not open for further replies.