Pregame: Illinois vs Rutgers, Saturday, January 11th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of these upcoming games are going to be close, and probably won or lost on how we shoot free throws.

After beating Purdue and @Wisconsin, this would be a classic letdown game...but Rutgers is playing really well this year and should have our attention.
Both Wood and Ayo talked about Rutgers in their post game comments. This team seems to be locking in and concentrating on the next team up. Rutgers is a serious team, so I happy about our focus.

Go back and read the post MSU game comments.
There is a list of problems a mile long
Have all these potential problems magiacally disappeared with one road victory?
Whether we are in the tournament right now, with 15 games to play is totally irrelevant
Every game is going to be a 15 rounder.

Was at the game last year. Took everything we had to beat them. I imagine they've had this game circled since before the year began both as a great opportunity for a road win and also as a revenge game. We have to come ready to play

Looking at their roster I think Harper Jr will give us the most problems. We don't have anyone that can match up well with 6'6 245. Having Baker out helps us. Really like his game. Hope we continue to run effective screen/rolls with Kofi and Ayo and need to knock down some shots. Go Illini!
Who gets the job of stopping Harper?

Easily, our NET is in 34. Right now likely an 8 or 9 seed.
I agree. From a numbers perspective this is what they need to do to stay in the field...

Illini project to play 14 Q1 games, which models closely to the results Ole Miss, and Oklahoma had last year. They ended up ranked 36, and 37 in NET and played each other in the 1st round.

This is what got Ole Miss into the field:
Q1: 4-11
Q2: 3-2
Q3: 7-0
Q4: 6-0

This is what got Oklahoma into the field:
Q1: 5-11
Q2: 6-2
Q3: 9-1
Q4: 0-0

This is what the Illini have so far:
Q1: 2-3
Q2: 1-1
Q3: 3-1
Q4: 4-0

MUST WIN ALL (Q2 and Q3)
NORTHWESTERN
MINNESOTA
NEBRASKA
@NORTHWESTERN
INDIANA
IOWA

Winning all above games gets Illini to:
Q1: 2-3
Q2: 5-1
Q3: 5-1

MUST WIN AT LEAST 3 (Q1)
RUTGERS
@PURDUE
@MICHIGAN
@IOWA
MARYLAND
MICHIGAN STATE
@RUTGERS
@PENN STATE
@OHIO STATE

Winning 3 of the above games gets Illini to:
Q1: 5-9
Q2: 5-1
Q3: 5-1

It might not look great but compared to the field, that's generally a bid. For every Q2 and Q3 game they lose they'll likely need to win an additional Q1 game.

Last edited:
Not that Joe Lunardi is scripture, but we were out (5th) before the Wisconsin game, so I'm confused on how beating an unranked team, who was an projected 8 seed themselves, jumps us from Out to 8/9.
Is Joe attempting to predict final results based on results so far? Or, defining a bracket that would be as if the season ended today? I honestly don't know what his approach is.

What is some posters' obsession with being ranked?

It. Matters.

Growing up, the only programs I really knew about besides Illinois and our rivals were the teams that were constantly broadcasted as being ranked. It’s a status symbol, and I’ve never entertained the coach-speak-like assertions to the contrary as anything but trying to be contrarian (i.e., the “calm voice” in the room) or preparing yourself for potential disappointment by not getting too invested in it.

ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI having a little number next to it is nice recognition, a status symbol and ... in what should be the most important thing to all of us ... ammunition for having some actual pride again when talking to our non-Illini fan friends. :)

It. Matters.

Growing up, the only programs I really knew about besides Illinois and our rivals were the teams that were constantly broadcasted as being ranked. It’s a status symbol, and I’ve never entertained the coach-speak-like assertions to the contrary as anything but trying to be contrarian (i.e., the “calm voice” in the room) or preparing yourself for potential disappointment by not getting too invested in it.

ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI having a little number next to it is nice recognition, a status symbol and ... in what should be the most important thing to all of us ... ammunition for having some actual pride again when talking to our non-Illini fan friends. :)

I think it also might help in regard to recruiting. It seems as though the ranked teams tend to get more air-time and publicity.
It's probably not a bad thing to be ranked, with the only possible exceptions being over confidence (no longer being the underdog), and teams coming at you a bit harder (which in our conference doesn't really apply).

So our seed(11) has a 48pct chance of staying valid, but has room to move up. Or down. Just need to tend to business.

Not that Joe Lunardi is scripture, but we were out (5th) before the Wisconsin game, so I'm confused on how beating an unranked team, who was an projected 8 seed themselves, jumps us from Out to 8/9.

Most brackets I've seen today have us as an 11.

Easily, our NET is in 34. Right now likely an 8 or 9 seed.
I think that after our win last night, we just about washed out this two brutal losses vs Miami and Missouri. We won three nice games in conference, but beat absolutely nobody in the preconference. They worked themselves back onto the bubble.

Still 15 games to go. I think they need 11 conference wins, at minimum. If they go 12-8 in conference, we can breathe easy.

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO
I graduated in '89 and was a section leader for Orange Crush. It was a magical season that I will always remember! One of my favorite memories aside from all of the wins was when Jud Heathcoate (MS coach before Izzo) went crazy after a call, grabbed the ball, slammed it down and it came right back up and popped him in the mouth ... hysterical! While I am still a die hard fan, I live in Colorado and I am sad to say that I have not been back to U of I since graduation. I will be joining 4 Illini alums and life-long friends at the game on Saturday. I plan on bringing whatever Flyin' Illini mojo I can with me. To be honest, I think AG is starting to look like he might fit on that team ... off the bench obviously. Would've been fun to see him and Battle go at it in practice! So excited to see the campus, the stadium and an Illini victory! :shield:

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
With a big step forward as a program last night.....we have to be honest.....if it truly was the step forward that it should be then Rutgers @ home HAS to be a W.

Period. No excuses. I don't care how tough Rutgers is playing....a home loss here is as much a step back for the program as the Wisky road W was forward.

The only way is forward now.

Xfactr

Lake Forest, IL
It’s all about matchups. Illinois has some advantages with our bigs GB and KC. They should be posting all day long. Remember last year, GB had a record setting day. Keep feeding the low post and we should be fine. Rutgers play a 3 guard lineup with basically a 3 and 4 front court. Harper Jr is their go to, if we can limit his points we should be good.

This will be a fun game to watch!

GO ILLINI

With where we currently stand now, this may be the most pivotal game of the season!

Deleted member 746654

D
I graduated in '89 and was a section leader for Orange Crush. It was a magical season that I will always remember! One of my favorite memories aside from all of the wins was when Jud Heathcoate (MS coach before Izzo) went crazy after a call, grabbed the ball, slammed it down and it came right back up and popped him in the mouth ... hysterical! While I am still a die hard fan, I live in Colorado and I am sad to say that I have not been back to U of I since graduation. I will be joining 4 Illini alums and life-long friends at the game on Saturday. I plan on bringing whatever Flyin' Illini mojo I can with me. To be honest, I think AG is starting to look like he might fit on that team ... off the bench obviously. Would've been fun to see him and Battle go at it in practice! So excited to see the campus, the stadium and an Illini victory! :shield:

Good Stuff. Bring a W with you.
I truly believe we win this game by 10 or more points

Status
Not open for further replies.